Should I create another profile on hubpages for my niche?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. misslong123 profile image85
    misslong123posted 8 years ago

My main/current profile has a plethora of topics. I have finally chosen my niche (knitting). I do have hubs with this niche - some of which are doing very well. I was thinking about creating a new profile that is dedicated solely to my niche. And maybe naming it something more relevant like "knittingbymichele" or something. I will research a better one.

My question is should I just add all my knitting hubs to my existing profile or should I create a new one for my niche. And if I do that, should I move my knitting hubs to my new profile? My existing profile basically gets a lot of traffic but I make almost no money on it. I thought I might have better luck with a specialized profile with a more specific username and only knitting hubs.

I know I get a lot of traffic on my knitting hubs from Pinterest and I would guess that would go away if I moved them but I can always re-promote them on Pinterest.

Any thoughts are welcome as I have hundreds of ideas for knitting hubs so I'm excited to start writing. I'm just not sure if they would benefit from a more specialized website instead of misslong123.hubpages etc. which says nothing of knitting.

I welcome any ideas. Thank you so much.
    Michele

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi misslong,

Many Hubbers have found success by focusing on a specific niche with a specialized account, however, if you decide to move your existing Hubs, they will essentially be starting over with search engines and traffic. You may want to consider leaving your existing Hubs on this account and creating a new one to write any new knitting articles on. Ultimately it's up to you. smile

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But if a hubber wants to move hubs to another account why can't HubPages create a way of moving them and implementing a 301 redirect?

1. BigBlue54 profile image59
          BigBlue54posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point.

2. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

It's certainly the case that "branding" your niche in terms of content and profile name will make it easier for people to see what else you have to say that is relevant - and for social media activity to be more fruitful

The thing is you then create two accounts where you have to make the $ hurdle for getting a payment.

This is true makingamark and I can see your point.

But then it becomes a question of which is more important, getting paid now or building up your band for later. If getting the money now is important then sticking with what you have could make more sense. But if you want to build a brand then making the change to a separate account could be more beneficial in the medium to long term.

From a business point of view building your brand would be a better move.

3. BigBlue54 profile image59
    BigBlue54posted 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this question misslong123. It is something I have been considering myself as I want to write about a couple of different niches but I was not sure if I should separate them out. That way if I do then someone who wants to read any other Hubs in the same niche they don't have to look through any unrelated topics.

I hope you do not mind a suggestion. How about knittingwithmichele. I think it sounds more inviting.

I look forward to seeing how this discussion develops.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would say you would be better off keeping them as they are if you need to make a payout.   You can always put the knitting hubs into their own groups within their category, which ultimately means you are likely to see more of your 'related' knitting hubs showing up instead of those of other writers..   I have a similar dilemma with my wet felting, but personally I decided to leave it as it was.  I find it a lot easier to keep all my eggs in one basket.  I definitely think you will do very well if you concentrate on a niche subject such as your knitting which so many folk out there are interested in,  especially free knitting patterns.
      Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

2. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to second this suggestion. KnittingByMichele sounds like somewhere I can buy knit items but KnittingWithMichele sounds like some kind person willing to help me knit things.

Thanks Kylyssa.

I am just thinking, I seem to be surrounded by crafts. My mother knitted as does my sister. My partner is into crafts as is her mother. My ex is into crafts, something she got from her grandmother. And our daughter is not only into crafts but runs a successful business teaching crafts. And now I am in a discussion with people into crafts.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

My advice would be, if you have identified your niche then don't start a new Hub account, bite the bullet and create your own blog on Blogger.

Navigation on Hubpages makes it unlikely your readwrs will stick with tou, unlike a blog

5. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 8 years ago

I would think about starting your own blog or website and then using the hubs as a back link to pages on your knitting site. I have a crochet site that does much better than I can do here. I did start a new account for just crochet here at Hubpages. The traffic to the hubs isn't any better than to my main account. Maybe it would be different if I wrote more of them, I don't know.

The crochet hubs I have don't get the traffic they once did. I now use them more for the links on my crochet site.

Interesting, I have a website of my own and have backlinks to my Hubs.  The Traffic to both sites is very much on a par.  I, however, don't have sufficient time to devote equal attention to both.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

sallybea, I think the reason my traffic is down on my crochet hubs is because someone from Squidoo now has her crochet hubs here and hers are much better than mine. If I worked on them, maybe I'd do better. Right now I am putting most of my work into my website. I still make payout here, so it is all alright with me. I've updated the hubs, but just don't feel like doing more right now.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sallybea, links FROM your blog TO all your Hubs will do little or nothing to improve traffic, unless your blog is very successful indeed.  And they also cancel out the benefit of any links you have FROM your Hubs TO your blog.

That idea worked some years ago but hasn't been worth doing for a long time.

The site in question is actually a paid website, not really a blog and the views to both are almost identical but HubPages is the place where my revenue is earned.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

The same principle applies whether it's a blog or a website, there's really no difference between them these days.

When Google sees a lot of links going from one website to another, e.g. from your website to HubPages, it can see that as a sign of a spammer - creating the links just to get traffic, not to be useful to the reader.  That could be reducing your traffic to both your site and your Hubs.

I took a look at your website - I had never heard of wet felting so it was very interesting!   I think it would have great potential for income if you were able to put your advertising on the main pages instead of hidden on the "Links" page, which very few readers will ever click on.

I agree.  It is something I should talk to Photium about or move my content to a new site, perhaps Weebly,  because I am all too aware that it is not making money as it should.  I might need a backup if all else fails here:)

I used to recommend Weebly but not any longer - its main problem is that if you are using the basic versions it runs very,very slowly and Google doesn't like that. 

If you want free then Blogger is still the best option, though it takes more effort to provide good navigation for your readers.

I know I have seen this answer somewhere, but can you monetize Blogger?

Yes, you can put any affiliate ads you like on Blogger as well as Adsense.  It used to have special "gadgets" to add Amazon ads but I think they have stopped that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

+1

6. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I believe you can with Adsense, just like you do here. I've monetize my book review blog and had little money there, than with the Amazon Associates Program. (I've made 2 sales last fall and that's it.)

Adsense and Blogger are both Google so it will not be a problem.

Something I have come across a couple of days ago is Google Sites. Not really had a chance to look at as yet but it may be worth using as an alternative.  It does cost but as it is $5/£3.24 for the basic and $10/£6.48 for the unlimited it is not a big cost.

https://sites.google.com/

I do wonder if this will become a replacement for Blogger.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Two completely different products - one is a website product and the other is a blogging product. These are not the same

Google Sites can be used for blogging and Bloggers has been used as an ecommerce site. So whatever the original intent that has long gone. So used for the same thing.

2. BigBlue54 profile image59
      BigBlue54posted 8 years ago

I think one thing that should be taken into consideration here is why would you want a separate account on Hubpages. If you intend to run it as a business and a way of earning income from a specific niche, such as knitting, and possibly with a blog or website then one thing to consider is branding.

If you have a blog with which you wish to earn money would it not make sense to also have a Hubpages account which is solely about your niche and is tied in with that blog. That way people who come across your hubs can be led to you blog. Keeping it under one name would make more sense from a business point of view.

You could do the same thing with Tumblr, Pinterest, Facebook and any other social media you use.

One thing I have noticed with blogs is that the most successful ones are run by people who remember it is a business. Pleasant though it is to write one a subject you enjoy that is only part of it.

Several months ago I came across a highly regarded food blogger who had decided to stop blogging. The owner had made an income out of it because he had been approached by an advertiser to advertise on his blog. When that contract was ended he had to stop blogging because he had no income and was not interested in trying to find another source. Maybe he should have posted here instead.

So if you do want to run it as a business, treat it as such.

I hope that did not come across as being too heavy, but I know how it can be that when you get into the detail you miss the big picture.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)