jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Do you refence your work?

1. profile image0
    ARaineyposted 2 years ago

There are a ton of articles here on hubpages.  I know that appropriate attribution has been discussed regarding photos, but is it custumary to include a list of references in hubs?  TIA

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think citations offer credibility toward trustworthiness more specific to a topic as yours being medical.

A footnote is recently at the Hub Tool when reviewing in the Edit Mode I noticed a 'Style Tip'. It gave kinda' a warning with groups of links. The caution lead toward being unfeatured. I had three different link groupings.

** An internal linking as a Table of Contents for a lengthy Hub
      ** As a bibliography of links leading to the sources (Links as very short explanations)
      ** I used the Link Capsule for recommended reading with four I think

I questioned firstly if too many groups? I eliminated the bibliography and hid the Table of Contents. I kept the third. The Style Tip went away.

1. profile image0
        ARaineyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for offering advice.  I think I will avoid the links for now and and include a short list at the end of the article.  Thanks again!

2. NateB11 profile image95
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a good idea to cite references and I thought admin recommends it (in the Learning Center). I usually will use links in text to do it. I have put a list of links at the bottom in the past but stopped doing that. Or you can just do a standard list of references (for books, journal articles, etc), whatever your academic version of it is. It does add credibility.

1. profile image0

Got it!  I'm sold on including references now.  Thanks NateB11.

1. NateB11 profile image95
          NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

No problem.

2. Solaras profile image98
        Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If I am writing on a compilation of research, I will put a list of references at the bottom of the article.  I don't want to spin my readers away, since HP refuses to open links in a new window. (as everyone else on the planet does).

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

HubPages is not Wikipedia!   There is no obligation to cite references, it's entirely up to you.   If you want to cite references then the best way to do it is at the end of the article (no need for footnote numbers).  You will get a warning about having a lot of links together, but if they are references then you can safely ignore it.

1. profile image0

Thank you Marisa.  I'm glad there is no obligation.  I will include a short list as you suggested.

3. janshares profile image99
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Yes, if I'm citing specific information or research, I include the site(s) in a text or link capsule. Or, I'll use hyperlinks within the main text.

1. profile image0

Thank you janshares!

working