jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)

New Niche Sites - Referrals

1. ProCW profile image82
    ProCWposted 19 months ago

If I refer someone to an article using one of my referral codes to a hub on TatRing, for example, do the same percentages and such apply currently and/or will they in the future? I don't see a "Link to this Page" link on the bottom on that site.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 19 months ago in reply to this

We don't support that feature on niche sites, and we recommend using the "Sign Up for HubPages" link and adding your tracker if you want to invite someone to create an account.

1. ProCW profile image82
        ProCWposted 19 months ago in reply to this

What would encourage Hubbers to help promote any of the niche sites, unless they are an author on that Niche site?

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
          paradigmsearchposted 19 months ago in reply to this

+1

2. Barbara Kay profile image87
          Barbara Kayposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I agree.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image

We aren't asking Hubbers to promote the new sites for us. All signups and content creation will still happen on HubPages.com, which is why referring new users should happen here, even if they intend to write content for the new sites.

2. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image84
        cmoneyspinner1tfposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Thanks.  This response clears up a lot for me.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 19 months ago

Actually it took me awhile, but I figured out the problem. HubPages doesn't want to be accused of doing paid links, thus referrals were eliminated.

Update: I was unaware of Christy's latest post when I was making this post.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I don't think that's the reason.  HubPages has been backpedalling on referral links for years.

A few years ago, when you created an internal link it gave you the option to make it a referral link (in fact I may be wrong, but I think it may even have been automatic).  Then they stopped that and you had to work it out for yourself. 

The trouble with referral links was that once created, they had to keep on paying Hubbers a small extra commission indefinitely, but they weren't getting any real benefit for the site.

I was referring to the 10% hub cut for 2 hours one gets, not the sign up part.

Referral traffic has been discontinued altogether. The Author Referral Program is the only one still active.

This is good to know. HP needs to update their FAQ, http://hubpages.com/faq/#impressions

Thanks very much for pointing that out, I've just removed those references.

working