jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Share Buttons on HubPages

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 20 months ago

Nine months ago a number of Hubbers noticed that share buttons were not visible when using a screen resolution of less than 1100 pixels wide, or when zoomed in on higher screen resolutions (due to poor eyesight or whatever). The reasoning behind this, according to staff, was that only 5.9% of our visitors use such resolutions, which was deemed negligible (the added (possible) percentage of those who zoom in wasn't considered at all). Of course, several of us strongly disagreed with this.

I just took a look at TatRing, and see that the share buttons are perfectly visible when using a screen resolution of less than 1100 pixels wide. Then why can this still not be made possible on the main site?

2. Buildreps profile image96
    Buildrepsposted 20 months ago

Hi Jayne, long time no see:)

HP changed the way how author rights on photos are shown, with the big 'i' in the top right corner. More than one month ago I noticed to the staff that when you use multiple pictures in the photo capsule (the thumbnail option), the author isn't shown. So, there's no way to know whose photos it are.

After mentioning it, and asking for the progress two times, the staff replied with the standard phrase: "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have determined that this is a bug and are working on addressing it." The second time it was: "We are still working on a fix for this bug. We apologize for the inconvenience."

How difficult can this bug be for a real programmer?

It seems as if HP isn't working on any bug at all. It seems they have only PR and communication staff, and no real programming guys to fix any bugs.

If a business has become in this kind of a phase of its life cycle, and is not developing its product anymore, it is getting in the danger zone, that means extinction.

I like HP very much. It is easy and nice, but it I think it will take maybe another year or so, and we will have to look for other means to publish our stuff.

Jayne Lancerposted 19 months agoin reply to this

It's understandable that they're channeling their resources into the new niche sites at the moment, but I hope they're not neglecting the main site in the process.

3. delancooper profile image79
    delancooperposted 19 months ago

I suggest you to change the other web browsers, if you're using Google Chrome, try Safari, Internet Explorer or FireFox.

Jayne Lancerposted 19 months agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter whether I'm using Chrome or IE; with a screen resolution of less than 1100 pixels wide, I can only see the share buttons if I zoom out to 90%. But my concern isn't about whether I can see the buttons. Did you take a look at the thread I link to in the first sentence of my original post?

4. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 19 months ago

Just took a look at one of my hubs using my smaller screen resolution (less than 1100 pixels wide) and see that the problem is fixed. Thanks HubPages!

working