I just don't get HubScores

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

I have read what HP has posted about HubScores plus quite a few forum postings on the subject over the last several years.

If the scores are HP's way of judging quality, then I want to see a higher score if I can get one for a Hub that has potential. But I also throw together some Hubs that don't matter as much.

So I write a short Hub of around 700 words and give it a few public domain photos. Not much effort goes into the quality of the writing or editing.

Then I write a 1,500-word Hub with all original photos. I take much more time to write it and edit it. I make sure the Hub has proper grammar, no spelling mistakes, short sentences and paragraphs for reading ease, etc.

It gets a LOWER HubScore. I wonder if anyone has had the same experience and can shed some light on what they think gets higher scores other than what I have mentioned above.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The hubscore is useless to us the writer and should be ignored. It is a metric that the Automated Quality Assessment process of HubPages generates as it goes through it's process. It is used to determine if a hub becomes featured or stays featured. It is not a rating of the quality of your writing which is a subjective determination. A human editor would give a totally different rating than HubScore.
      My recommendation to HubPages in the past is for them to rmove this metric and keep it private. It would serve all well and not confuse or cause concern.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response. I had the impression from the FAQ that it is part of a quality assessment.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 7 years ago

You have been a member of HubPages for seven years, so you know that the scores have been debated for a long time.

1. profile image0

Yes. it's just that a couple of recent Hubs had such a weirder response from the scoring system than usual.

I was curious if anyone else had written what they thought were a high-quality Hub and a low-quality one and received a better score on the low-quality one.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

I stopped worrying about my Hubscore a loooooooooong time ago.

1. profile image0

I see that response quite a bit on other threads. I understand why people are saying it if they feel the scores are inconsistent.

4. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 7 years ago

I never bother to look at my scores. Neither the article score, nor my author score.

They're an internally generated algorithm that suit the needs and measurements of the hubpages company ... they're kind of an indicator, if you wish, of whether something's a real dud or a real star ... but nothing more.

Too many unknown variables that could affect it - and you can't seize it and force an article to become a 100 as that'd just chew up your time when you could've been concentrating on either none of them, another/better one, writing some new material, or going down the pub.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

A few years ago there was a very honest discussion about scores on the forums by two moderators, neither of whom are employed by HubPages any more. I'd go so far as to say they were the best team members HP ever had, enormously helpful and always honest and fair. 

They both admitted that the scoring system was flawed, to the point where it was best ignored. However they said management wasn't willing to abandon the system until they could develop a better one, and there were always other jobs that took priority. 

Then the founder of the site came on the forums to say he loved the scoring system - and there was no more discussion...

1. profile image0

Maybe the purpose and methods of the system are secret even to staffers.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I guess I'll throw my two cents into this here buskers hat.

I've had a score of 99 before. And that lasted about a day. I rarely get past 96, and if and whenever I do, I'm never sure why. I also don't recall the last time I was below 90, but I've spent over a year at a time having avoided the internet entirely.

Well, from what I can tell the high score has to do with 1. content being at a certain level and also performing well. and 2. Use of the site. Total use of the site, I think, gets people to 100. People who use the forums, do the good content deal, and also do hub hopping and question answering, they get the high scores.

Granted my sample size and skills of observation are not astrophysicist level observations. But true story - the high score is a nice ornamental thing like flowers or fancy clothes. I'm only ever really thinking about how I can make more money here. And just which angle should I pursue in writing in order to make more money than the month before. But hey, I'm so poor that's what I should be thinking about.

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Wes is absolutely right that PARTICIPATION in the site is a big part of Hubberscore. 

I very rarely write a new Hub but I am active on the forums etc and that's what keeps my score high.

8. ILoveLegosToo profile image81
    ILoveLegosTooposted 7 years ago

It really is too bad that a Hub score doesn't individually reflect the quality of hub and instead takes into account your Hubber score.  It would help tremendously in prioritizing what to improve.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are right, and I've never been able to understand how that works.

They say HubberScore is based on the average of all our HubScores, plus site participation.

And that our individual HubScores are based on our HubberScore, plus quality assessments.

I still can't fathom how they're able to do that without getting the whole algorithm into an endless loop!

Maybe that's why the whole thing has never really made sense....

9. Paxash profile image95
    Paxashposted 7 years ago

I'm very new to writing hubs and it's somewhat of a relief to hear that the score is more reflective of participation (which I have yet to really do) than the quality of what I've been writing.

Though at the same time, what's the point of making the score available to see in that case? It doesn't make sense to me.

10. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Hubscore matters according to this:

To be moved to a niche:

*Articles should meet our definition of an 8 or better in our Informational Writing Scale.

I am guessing 8 means 80.

http://hubpages.com/help/sites-editorial-policy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)