Bottom of the barrel hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (39 posts)
  1. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

Do you have hubs that stay at the bottom of your hub list no matter what you do to them? Is it the unappealing subject matter, boring content, too short, oversaturated topic, poetry, or something else?

I have about 5 or 6 at the bottom of my barrel of 83 hubs. I'm curious about why and wonder if others have the same experience. These are not bad hubs, not poorly written at all. But they just never got off the ground.

1. aasl profile image55
      aaslposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think it has to do with appeal. Like I wrote about the media and terrorism and it didn't accumulate as many views as I was hoping for. But on other articles I wrote they were slam dunks. I'd say if it's important to you, update it and republish it. It can't hurt. 

Hey check out my page if you like what you see follow me. I'll do the same for you!

jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One of my "bottom of the barrel hubs" is about terrorism, specifically the Paris attack. It's currently #83 and stays there. Good point. My media hub on breaking news actually does well. Thanks for your input.

2. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think they go there even if they are excellent but very few traffic. Having said that, having a video, poll, summary, decent pictures and the appropriate number of words do help. Use sub-titles and watch the arrangements of the pics. I have quite a few and generally know what to do. They sometimes tell you also, Just time needed and interest in my case. Carry on!

1. Faith Reaper profile image82
        Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Those are excellent points, Manatita,

I do have some that stay at the bottom for some reason, but it seems they do pick up when I tweak the title (even poetry) and then I share on Pinterest, Twitter and G+ and it does seem to help.  I've been adding at least three legal images (usually more), a poll, a video and all of that too.

However, here of late, HP seems to be going through the phase of unfeaturing for lack of views, and that is when I tweaked the title and all other required additions, if the hub was written four years ago when I first joined, and I notice I haven't update it since. That usually works like a charm, but I just had two very short poems that have been featured since over four and a half years ago when I first joined and then they just now went half circle, and so I tweaked the titles, and shared.  They received views on the other sites, but then HP made them full circle for unfeatured?  I'm wondering why had they been featured for so many years and now not?  I guess times are changing.  I hope all the poets with their short poems don't experience such!  Well, we always say HubPages, but it may very well be Google.  So, I just unpublished them.  They had tons of views and comments, but ...

1. manatita44 profile image71
          manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The word that Faith used is a good one: 'Change.' They are a business and are watching competitors we may not even know! They keep changing to stay ahead... on top. This includes changing or teaching new staff as they admit, and that can affect things.

Still twig it, do the necessary or relaunch as Cam does occasionally. Trouble is that one can have so many and so little time! Much Love.

2. janshares profile image90

Yes, excellent points and advice, Manatita. Faith, I've seen the same when I tweak one, either a poem or otherwise. It goes up for a few days, then sinks right back down to its low spot.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My music hubs stay at the bottom, but when one of them was moved to Spinditty, it did a lot better. They are so low traffic, I fear that they will never be moved to niche sites until I recommend them myself.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have one that stays low but has over 93,000 reads so I just can't delete it! Should I? How can that be I wonder?

Are most of those views from years past? I wouldn't delete simply because it's a big chunk of your overall total, especially if reaching milestones are important to you.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

No, it says 1 day views 196! I have tried my best to get the answer on this because I know it is dragging my average down yet the one people look at most. The system here is one big mystery...to me.

Me too, Jackie. I don't fret over it too much anymore.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

I don't Jan and now I am at Jodah's poem site and do some editing there I really am not here that much and it has taken the concern from me that I previous had. A better way to be...lol

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
            Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean it's "dragging my average down" ? If you are talking about hubscore, I would ignore that. Traffic is the important number, the score is meaningless.

5. DrMark1961 profile image98
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have quite a few, but according to HP team it is better to spend your limited time improving those Hubs that already get a lot of traffic and leave those bottom feeders to fend for themselves..
      (I do not feel there is anything wrong with a lot of them, but there is limited interest in some areas and no matter how much I improve them there is always going to be limited interest.)

Thanks for the confirmation, DrMark. I have a feeling the biggest issue is lack of interest which we cannot change.

6. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The ones I have that have never gotten much traffic are always at the bottom due to lack of appeal. There are no keyphrases that will make them rise and they are just not what people are looking for on the Net. I learned my lesson a long time ago that, if I want traffic, I have to write about what people are looking for and use keyphrases they will type into the search engine.

Although my own blog that is basically on the same subject matter gets much more traffic and better earnings than those Hubs; mainly due to the fact that I have articles on that blog that are part of a subcategory that gets more traffic and seems to attract more clicks.

1. NateB11 profile image86

Those low traffic Hubs I wrote way back when I started and didn't understand the game.

1. NateB11 profile image86

Also would like to add that that more successful blog flies in the face of most SEO advice out there on such things as ad placement and page speed. However, it has the right keyphrases. This taught me that, really, keywords are, well - the key.

Thanks, Nate, for your very valuable input.

7. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yes, I have 12 hubs that had been staying at the bottom of the list for 6 years, no matter i tried to change and edit the hubs, still stays, there...but i don't really bother about them anymore

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 7 years ago

Yes I do have hubs like this and I've been wondering what to do with them for a long time! Do I delete them and use them elsewhere? Do I let them stagger on indefinitely? It's tricky. I think at some point in the not too distant future I'll decide on a cut-off point - say hubs that only attract 10 views a month will be axed - but is ok to leave hubs that hardly ever get going? Perhaps the bounce rate is affected and they undermine the whole? Not sure. Please let me know what you decide.

I sure will, chef-de-jour. When we get attached to some of them, it's hard to decide. My gut says if they're not hurting anything, let them be for now.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the most important question is - if I delete this Hub, what will I do with it?

If you can't think of another place where it could be put to good use, what is to be gained by deleting it?   If it's Featured, then it is earning something even if it's only pennies.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Yup, I've unpublished about a dozen of my lowest performers recently, they just never got much juice no matter how many tweaks/edits/shares I gave them.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

I think we've all got a few.  Some of my own:

A couple written for hubbers.  Unfeatured, I leave them as a service to the site.

Several on holidays.  I leave them (featured) because they do get traffic for a few weeks per year.

Several older "sales hubs", full of Amazon capsules.  They've made sales in the past, but I suspect they are for the chopping block as they will never, ever be transferred to the niche sites.

A small handful that I just plain like.  Comedy, creative writing, etc. 

And finally quite a few that only get a handful of views per month as the topic just doesn't generate interest.  I'll keep them in the hopes they will be put in the niche sites eventually, but if they aren't they're gone too.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image81
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The ones I wrote for the internal audience (Hubbers) don't do well, either, and they get unfeatured. I keep them around because so many Hubbers said they were helpful - I just hope they don't pull my traffic down without my knowing it.

Some of my worst (worst) performers are from the Exclusives titles the site had a few years ago. I know the site likely got burnt by those, too (I am sure the invested money in what they thought were titles hat had been vetted for good SEO potential). I spent quite a bit of time writing those duds. They're well-written, and I hate to delete them, but they do nothing for me or for the site at this point.

I feel badly for HP that they got duped (I believe) when they acquired the titles and made them available to us. They weren't around very long, so some of you (many of you) may not even know of that sad happening.

I remember that, Marcy. I think it phased out before I got here. Was that related to the thing in the hubtool where suggestions were given to change the title of your hub? I think I'm recalling two separate things. In any case, most of us seem to have duds for whatever reason.

5. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

It is very difficult to judge the value of a page on the main domain. Various penalties are crushing the site and every single page. Even if a page has poor read times, of the kind that suggest readers find it unsatisfactory, it can merely reflect the fact that the page is unable to reach the audience it is intended for.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very true, Will.

However I think my worst performers are at the bottom of the barrel simply because they're on subjects that people don't search for much.

6. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

I think Will Apse had a very strong point about hubs on the main site. As more and more quality hubs get moved to network niche sites, the ratio of low to high quality left behind is increasing. That larger percentage of lower quality is most likely affecting the remaining high quality hubs.

Therefore, I wouldn't be so quick to delete hubs that are at the bottom of the barrel. I have a few too. If I were you, I would wait until those hubs get selected and moved to niche sites. You can always submit one of your choosing every 60 days, in addition the ones that HubPages is selecting on their own.

In the meantime, I am constantly upgrading, analyzing GA reports, experimenting with title changes based on what Google shows me people were typing as search quiries, and even adding more content to those poorly performing hubs.

And most of all, make sure each hub is a stella hub with all the requirements for selection to be moved to niche sites.

Thank you to all you vets for your excellent input on this phenomenon that seems to hit us all.

7. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

I usually upgrade or move my lowest scoring hubs to try and raise my average hubscore, but it never seems to change. Say for instance I have an average score of 73. I move any hubs lower than 65 expecting that to cause my average to rise. It doesn't It seems my highest rating hub scores are then dropped so that my average is still 73.

Interesting.

8. RonElFran profile image95
    RonElFranposted 7 years ago

Yes, I have several that just languish at the bottom, getting a few views per month. You can't really predict which will take off and which won't. I have one hub that I remember wondering if it would ever get to 100 views (it seemed stuck at 99 for the longest). Now that hub has just experienced a social media run that produced about 7k views in the past week. And for no particular reason that I can see. That's why I never delete seemingly moribund hubs. You can't tell when they may suddenly take off.

Exactly, Ron. It pays to wait. That "100 views" milestone is a marker for me as well. I'm happy to say that all 83 have at least that. But I'm still waiting for a viral hit. smile

9. Rangoon House profile image87
    Rangoon Houseposted 7 years ago

My novice opinion Jan, is to stick with your gut feeling and keep the low rankers. You put effort into writing them, and you obviously felt a connection with the topics, so don't delete them. Maybe tweak them and if you have another forum to post them to, maybe consider that, but don't delete them. You would be deleting a part of you.

I agree, not thinking about deleting them.

10. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

If you don't write pages from time to time simply because you want to, you will soon get tired of writing. Who cares if that kind of page gets traffic?

You learn a lot every time you write a page. You can reconnect with something that you once were. You can catch up with subjects that once held you in their thrall.

When I was desperate for money a few years ago, I wouldn't have said that, of course, and I sympathise with anyone who just needs to make a little extra.

But how people use their writing, is entirely up to them.

If you publish anything here, you will be obliged to abide by their rules, of course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)