I started a new HP page and think I regret it. What do you recommend?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 7 years ago

I started a new HP page: http://hubpages.com/@dangerouslydelish to focus on recipes- hoping to create a stronger brand compared to this account.
    I was looking at my stats and my CPM is 4-5x more on this account, compared to the new one. So should I transfer my Hubs from my new account to this one? Or should I continue trying to build on my other account?

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Toni,

I would suggest you continue with your old account only. As new account will take time for maturity and as you said CPM would be way too low for a new account.
      So better you continue to build your old account.
      I saw your old account. You got amazing hubs there. You can definitely do well in future.

Regards,
      Ashish

1. profile image0
        mariexotoniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much! Yes I've nearly transferred all of those hubs. Wish I didn't waste my time doing this. Lesson learned

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

You can't create a strong brand on HubPages because Google does not see our accounts as individual blogs or websites any more - and most of your readers won't even notice who wrote the recipes. 

I would certainly not move your existing Hubs if they are getting decent traffic, because they will lose all the backlinks they've built up. Also if they've been copied on other websites (which, being Hubs, is very likely), you will lose your ability to prove copyright.

1. profile image0

They're getting okay traffic. The new HP account is only 5 days old. Should I try and salvage it now, by transferring the hubs to this older account, or keep them on that new one?

It seems like I should just move them here? I'm really not sure. Also is it possible/likely for us to brand build in the future? I really wanted to build an audience with a focused topic & use that traffic for my actual website.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I don't see any point in starting a new account.

1. profile image0

Thank you! I was actually hoping you would be the one to help me, since you are a highly trusted & helpful hubber.

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

I've hesitated to say it, but I had a look at a few of your Hubs recently and I noticed that many of them don't meet the new rules

It was a bit of a jolt to me, as it highlighted just how much has changed!   It reminds me that I need to look at some of my old Hubs too.  Your Hubs do so many things right according to the old guidelines (as you'd expect, being an ex-Apprentice), yet some of them wouldn't get through QAP if you wrote them now. I think that might be holding your Hubs back from being transferred to the new niche sites (which is where the money is now, frankly) so it would be worth taking a look at them IMO.

Warning - I would read through your Hubs carefully and edit ONLY those Hubs you think have niche potential.  If you edit, it sends the Hub back through QAP and you don't want to do that unless there's going to be a worthwhile payoff!

Things to look at:

- Use the Preview button and see how they look in Mobile view:  HubPages wants us to give priority to that, because most of its readers are viewing the site on mobile devices.  Which sucks, because I was very attached to right-floating stuff.  *sulk*

- If you include Amazon products, they MUST be relevant to the main topic of the Hub and you must include a statement saying why you personally recommend that book/product (as opposed to any other book/product that does the same thing).  Also, never list two Amazon products together, and they seem very reluctant to approve more than two or three per Hub.

- Links - can only be added if they're relevant to the main subject of the Hub.  Which means, among other things, that you can't add a list of other Hubs at the end of a Hub any more, (it's likely to be branded as a "spam element").

Just some ideas.  You might prefer to leave your old Hubs as is (in which case they'll just keep on earning, since they won't be penalised so long as they don't get edited), and focus on writing new ones.

1. profile image0

Wow, that's so great that you did that smile
              I haven't really paid attention to these hubs anymore.(I was) just happy to be reaching payout a few times a year. Was looking at my starting CPM's from 2012, and I realized that it was so much better to do well back then. My writing wasn't even the kind of stuff people wanted to read. I just posted well-written school work. Starting CPM's compared, old CPM was 2.5x as much. I may go back and look to see if any of them are worth fixing- I assume like 40 of them aren't.  I have two "starbucks" recipes, which actually has generated 53% of my traffic that I will probably fix. I'll certainly have to go through, but I don't have an eye for figuring out what hubs are really worth fixing. I know a good handful of them are a mess (random Amazon iterms, for instance and a lot of links that are broken)..

I hadn't planned on coming back here, until I found it impossible  to drive traffic to my own site (zero traffic in a month).  Which is why my hubs are stuck in 2012. Hoping to eventually convert HP traffic to the new site.. It's amazing, after all this time, I still don't have a clue how to really do this stuff, and can't seem to find an appropriate niche. I know you've told me recipes are a difficult niche to compete with others on, but it is certainly the easiest/most enjoyable area I have found. For me, it's just been dumb luck with earnings. Hoping to find footing soon. Will definitely be lurking on your activity, since you always provide great insight to what's going on with HP. I am SO out of the loop. This site is so weird now.

I tried to find your site - is it dangerouslydelishh.com?    It looks like you've wiped the posts off it?

1. profile image0

Yes, I wasn't getting any traffic after two months, so I transferred them here. Hoping to build an audience who recognizes me for recipes and eventually converting HP traffic to their.
                  Right now I'm just experimenting, since I don't really have a clue on what to do. Hoping I learn along the way.

Trying to build a following on HP and then transferring it to a blog is a completely forlorn hope. The only people who can follow you on HP are other writers, so that's a very limited bunch and we're mainly reading each other's work to support each other, not because of a real interest in the Hubs themselves.

Obviously you'll have other people reading your work on HP, but you have no way of knowing who they are, so you'll have no way of telling them when you move to the blog. So you'll just lose them when you move.

I'd say your best bet would be to concentrate on writing for Delishably, because it has a chance of getting big enough to compete with the other big recipe sites (unlike your blog).  When you write new Hubs they are automatically considered for Delishably now - and if they're judged good enough, they'll be transferred within a week or two.

Also take advantage of the option to submit your old recipe Hubs to Delishably, starting with your highest-traffic ones. You can only submit one every 60 days.

If you find you're not managing to get your new Hubs approved for Delishably, then's the time to reconsider the blog.  And it takes a LOT longer than two months to start getting traffic to a new blog so be prepared for a long slog.

3. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 7 years ago

Staff have never commented to confirm or deny when I've raised this in the past, but I'll mention it again and see what happens. smile

I suspect the cpm on any account is determined somehow by the content. In the real world, different keywords attract different rates. So if most of my traffic today is attracted to a different topic than the traffic yesterday, I anticipate a slightly different cpm. Plus, adding or deleting hubs can also seem to influence cpm.

So, should you move your recipes over to your stronger account? Maybe not. You might discover your cpm plummets.  Maybe you should add a couple of new recipes to your stronger account, and see what happens. If it has a poor outcome on your cpm, move them over to your recipe account.

I will be interested to hear the outcome.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure each hub has its own CPM based on the category it belongs to for the particular day/month based on the advertisers and the total number of views the particular category gets etc. Not sure how the contracts with the advertisers are. Whether it's per month or per view. And this income is accordingly split per view to each hub.

And based on your total views and the hubs that get them you get a cpm weight so to say. This is averaged and you get your overall CPM. At least that's how it would ideally work.

2. profile image0

Oh I like this idea of testing it out too. I have about 8-10 new recipe hubs, so I will see the results over the next month. So far, CPM is steady.

Just seems like a lot of work to try and build up my CPM on the new account. The CPM is much lower than this established account was at the beginning.

4. Neelam irshad profile image56
    Neelam irshadposted 7 years ago

I'm new here.i have no experience how to use HP .please help me.give me some guide line .

1. profile image0

Hey, welcome to HP! Look through some of the articles from the learning center: https://hubpageshelp.com/.
      If you're still confused, feel free to get in contact with me if you need any help with the basics smile

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The first and main guideline is that this is a site for writers. In English. Therefore you have to have a good command of written English. Your post shows that you do not. So improve your English skills, then come back and write a hub (article).

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

Thank you to both Marisa and DrMark for your replies. I appreciate it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)