When did you last visit the Learning Centre?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 7 years ago

I have posted a few short blogs to Niume and I like the platform with some reservations.

One thing is patently obvious to me though is that they are doing a terrific job of helping writers how to write posts correctly and promote their posts with fresh interesting tutorial videos and regular posts to my mailbox. 

An increasing number of people are asking for help with their Hubs in the forum and I do wonder if these people even realise that there is a Learning Centre which exists on HubPages!   Do you think HubPages should adopt the same approach?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This morning?

2. Annette Roussey profile image64
      Annette Rousseyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm too old to figure this out. I thought hub pages would be a good place to see if I had any talent for writing. I keep being told to go to the learning center. I must be missing something, because I've watched the advice on how to start, but I can't find anything on actually creating a hub.
      First time ever looking into this world. Hoped for real feed back on how to improve and all I got was that  it was not up to their standards, but nothing about how to correct the problem.
      Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61

If you had a talent for writing it would have been picked up at your school and your teachers would have told you. There is a difference between a talent (for writing) and basic literacy.

Literacy, however, can take you a long way. Understanding sentence structure and how to put paragraphs, etc. together in an essay or article, will enable you to write in a way that gets people to read your articles.

Also, creative writing is about storytelling. Hubpages isn't a fiction site. It's a site for articles, and it is expected that you can already write. It would be difficult to come to a site like this in order to learn to write.

That said, you appear to write perfectly well from your above post, so I don't see any issues in that regard.

What you would be learning here is not how to write, but how to make your writing pay. That takes some learning.

You will need to find topics that people will to read but nobody else has written about. That's hard. For most of us, it's a search for keywords (which you need to learn about) and then putting a good article together on that topic.

Please could you be more precise about what you mean when you say you want to learn aobut writing. Do you mean creative writing as in storytelling?

1. Annette Roussey profile image64

Actually I haven't decided what area of writing to be into. I was recently presented with a life change and am exploring.
          I have actually been told often that I am a good story writer. I didn't think I could earn money that way, so I didn't pursue it.
          I've spent most of my years being told things that made me feel I was not smart enough to do any job let alone write. 
          Some one very close to me finally said, I believe in you and you should see if others do to.
          So here I am.

1. theraggededge profile image96
            theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good for you.

There is a lot to learn, but take it in small steps. You have lots of experience that will translate into articles. What you need is inspiration.

I have to churn out three 1000 word articles every single week. Even over Christmas. The way I get my inspiration is to look at the contents sections of magazines and headlines on websites. I then approach the topic in my own way. You could give a topic or an idea to a dozen different writers and they will all come up with something different, so don't go thinking that because someone else has tackled a subject you couldn't do it better. Or at least in your own way. That's where I went wrong with writing when I was younger - I was too afraid to write about things because 'they'd all been written about by someone better than me." How stupid was I?

Inspiration doesn't come easily to most people - you have to go and look for it. You have a unique perspective on the world, so share it with us.

Thanks to all for helping. I received notice that my hub was published. I'm not sure how to send people to it though.

Congratulations. Now on to the next.

You can share the link on social media if you like. I don't much - I try to make my hub titles Google-friendly, then after a few days/weeks traffic begins to trickle in and then, hopefully, increases.

I hope all who helped would take a peek. Give honest opinions.
                  I honestly want to grow.
                  The rush from having the first hub finally accepted was amazing.

Can't see it on your profile page. Can you post the link?

2. Annette Roussey profile image64

Wow. You are very talented. The way that little bit came across was inspiring on it's own.
              Do you write the 1000 words because you want to or because you have to?
              I'm trying to figure out if you're given time to get one hub as perfect as you can before beginning a new one. Or do you create as many hubs as possible even if they aren't perfect.

Nah, not talented just pragmatic. I write for money. My earnings feed and keep my six dogs and four cats.

Get your hub as best as it can be before pressing 'publish'. However, there's always the option of editing later. Then keep going and write as many as you can. Give yourself a target of one a week.

Learn about finding searchable titles. I think Marisa has one on her profile... perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

To start with think of a topic, let's say um... tarot cards. Type it into the Google search box. Notice the other terms that appear underneath. Make a note of any good ones. Press enter to get the results. Now scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a box that says, "People also ask..." Make a note of any likely titles. Now look at the very bottom - you'll see 'Searches related to tarot cards'... again, make a note of titles that appeal. Now you've got your article title and topic.

This writing lark is easy once you get the hang of it.

Wow. That's cool. Unfortunately,now,I feel really dumb.
                  I like to write stories. I have searched for info on things I could learn. Am I headed in the wrong direction to write stories about how I've used the info in my life?

It's good to introduce personal experience into an article. Most people are looking for information and if you can offer yourself as an example, then readers will warm to you.

If by 'stories' you mean fiction, then that doesn't do so well on HP. You can do it, and many do, but you won't get much traffic.

2. theraggededge profile image96

Annette, HubPages is basically a magazine site. You create hubs by writing the text into text capsules, adding images via the image capsules and any other media you want to include.

Not sure why Tess said that a talent for writing would have been picked up at school - that is so patently wrong in many cases. Anyone with the will to write, can write. Grammar and sentence structure can be learned at any age - the talent comes with the ability to express oneself. Some writers don't start writing until quite an advanced age.

So, yes, HubPages is a good platform to test out your writing abilities. The main obstacles are learning how to actually use the site and getting your early hubs approved. Once you've cracked it, you'll be on your way.

The best kind of writing for HP is factual and informational writing. Fiction doesn't do so well. If that's your area of interest, there are many writing sites and platforms on the web that can help you with that.

Good luck and don't let anyone put you off.

Thank you so much. I'm not a fiction writer. Most who know me would say I tell to much truth. I am just starting to see if the world/ my friends would like to read what I write.
          The frustration jumps in when all tell you you are too dumb to figure this out so stop trying.  I'm doing my best not to fall in that hole.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Why I said writing was a talent? As a San Diego comic con staffer, I have met a good few famous writers, and they all say privately that it is a talent. One of my closest friends has been an editor for 40 years, editing the work of Nobel prize winners, Booker prize winners, and international best selling authors. She says, it's a talent.

It is picked up early. All talent is. A child who can sing is picked up pretty early. A dancer is spotted very early on. Raw talent is spotted almost immediately. You just see the child do it, and you know. I'm sure you've watched many talented children.

Literacy is learnt. Literacy, however, does not give one the ability to tell a story. Nor does it give you the innate rhythm that comes from reading hundreds and thousands of books daily from a very early age.

The only people who will tell you that creative writing can be learnt are those people who have something to gain by telling you that, i.e. they want to teach you how to do it and therefore they earn money from it, or even they want to flatter you so that you can read their books.

There is a difference between talented writing and good writng. Good writing will take on far.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2013/05/2 … d-writing/

There is, of course, a lot of debate whether writing is a talent or can be learned. I have, however, never met an author who hasn't told me privately that it is a talent.

DId I tell you about the author who told me privately that writing as a talent, and then inside the seminar he was conducting he said, "Everybody can learn writing."

My job dropped.

That said, good writing will get one far! smile

Tess, that is utter rubbish. Many, many people don't discover they have a talent for something until later in life.

Artists, writers, actors - there are too many to count.

Liz Smith, a British actress who died a few days ago at the age of 95 was not discovered until she was 49.

Jo Verity, a British novelist, wrote her first short story at 54. Prior to that she'd hadn't written anything.

George Eliot didn't publish her first novel until the age of 40.

3. Annette Roussey profile image64

I do think what you mentioned would be more helpful. The learning center spot is always the same information.( Not very in depth.) It's also not easy for writers that own computers,but up till now didn't use them for more than keeping in touch with family and playing games. I feel I'm typing a valid question,but the search answer is not the answer I was looking for.

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 7 years ago

You can lead a horse to water but persuading one to write well is a lot harder, lol.

I had great success persuading one horse to write 'bucket'. I bet I could have taught it to write 'well' big_smile

sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Persuading a horse to find the Learning Centre definitely won't teach him to read either.

2. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can't ignore this pun. I tried but it eventually found the schoolboy in me. Burnt into my psyche, lol.

big_smile Gotcha!

2. sallybea profile image93

Neigh...........Lol

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61

You just made me laugh! smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

The trouble with the Learning Centre is that it's vast.  It fosters the erroneous impression that HubPages is a place with "far too many rules" - surely it must have, if it needs so much explaining!

Perhaps it should be made more visible or more interesting.  Many people learn better when something is visual.   A video or two might be helpful!   The 'rule book' concept is a killer, a video or two would be far more refreshing.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

There is that. Also when I am looking for something in particular, it is sometimes difficult to find. I tend to google it with site:hubpages.com. Easier to find.

5. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 7 years ago

If someone is serious about learning to write then the learning center is not a big read. It is hardly a degree course, and if you want to succeed online you will need a degree level understanding of what is involved.

So, a few years practice and with any luck, you will know what you are doing.

6. earner profile image82
      earnerposted 7 years ago

To be honest, never.

*runs and hides*

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)