How do you judge which hub is ready for a niche site?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (40 posts)
  1. SakinaNasir53 profile image94
    SakinaNasir53posted 7 years ago

I do not understand the method of sending hubs to a niche site. How does it work? I tried sending my 1st hub to Bellatory.com but they rejected it, saying I had to make changes. It was silly on my part though, I had no idea back then, I had newly joined and had simply submitted it, without thinking.

I think it's unfair that we can only submit 1 article in 60 days. They do not specify what changes they need.
    I have been waiting since 2 months to try to publish one of my hubs to a niche site.

Which one should we publish and to which site? How to judge that?
    If anyone here has had hubs moved to a niche site, please help and enlighten me on this topic. Thanks. ☺

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As yet, I have not tried to publish to a niche site because I, also, don't understand exactly what is being look for. More to the point, I am not yet familiar with all the niche sites!

So don't feel alone.

I have found that HP will choose your articles if they think them suitable, so not need really to post them to a network site - unless they're years old. I think HP looks to see how much traffic or interest there will be for the story, but I'm not sure about that.

Still feeling my way, but very excited about these niche sites. )

SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yep! You have just put together whatever I have been thinking. Nce to meet you Tess. Thanks for commenting. ☺

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A good way to find out is to try submitting a Hub using the Submit button,  It takes you through a questionnaire, asking you point by point whether your Hub fulfils the requirements they're looking for. 

The Hub isn't submitted until you get to the end of the process, so you could pick any random Hub, follow the process and then just cancel before submit

I tried that. When I got to the last question, it asked me which site I wanted to submit it to. I had no idea which site was suitable because I didn't know which sites were about what. That's why I asked a few months ago which sites published what.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I understand that.  I was not explaining how to submit, I was pointing out that you can check your Hub against the requirements by going through the questionnaire as a test.

Thanks, I already did that. smile But what I meant was that I don't known enough about the network sites - not about my own work. )

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you don't know your own work.  I obviously misread your post and thought you were unclear about the requirements for the niche sites (i.e. what the criteria were), not which niche was which.

My apologies. Misunderstanding. smile

2. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you can comply with all the requirements asked for when you click the button 'submit to one of the niche sites' and if you can honestly click every box it should be a breeze:)

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If I were you, I'd take the time to read some of the articles that have made it to the niche sites to see what it is the writers are doing correctly.  I do know that good, clear, properly attributed photos, appropriate use of capsules and titles, quality and correct writing, focus in the article and topic all matter.  Take a look and see if those writers have met these criteria, then try to do the same with your own work.

Thank you TIMETRAVELER2 for your advice. Yeah, I am doing that for a while, still got a lot to learn. ☺

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 7 years ago

Sakina, when you submit a hub to a niche site they give you a checklist to go through. If your hub is not adequate it is not going to be accepted.
    A lot of people write on acne. Check the number of articles on Google.That alone might be a reason to not post your hub on a niche site.
    The one hub/60 days is Hubpages choice. When your 60 days are up, I suggest you submit the hub on your experience with Puffy to Pethelpful but you need to make some changes before submitting it.
    The title: As a reader I am not searching for what might work. Why not try "Causes and solutions for behavioral problems in parrots"?
    Layout: You might think it is interesting how you went to the pet store, etc. As a reader looking for solutions to my parrots behavioral problems, do you think I care? Focus on his behavioral problems and the solutions that worked.
    Images: They should be full width. Most of the images should be your own, but if they are not, do you have permission to use them? (Even if you do, the photo of Puffy playing with a toy is a lot more effective and interesting than some wikipedia photo of a parrot playing with toys.) The chart from Fosters and Smith and the drawing from wikihow are being used without permission, and the curator moving this hub to the niche site might notice and care.
    Your English is great.
    Although HP staff said that most hubs should be around 1250 words, I would rather reader a shorter hub that addresses the issue than a longer hub that tells me a lot of things I am not interested in.

I didn't post the hub about acne to a niche site. I had posted only the one about Puffy to Bellatory, being ignorant about the whole niche site thing when I had newly joined. I also had no idea about using images back then. Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. I would definitely implement them.
      I joined here 2 months back. Still got a lot to learn. Thank you DrMark for your andvice and opinions. ☺
      Can you read please my new hub about lovebird mates? I am planning to submit it to PetHelpful. Do you think it stands a chance?

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried simply publishing the hub as normal without trying to publish to a Niche Site?  If it is deemed suitable I am sure HubPages will move it themselves later.

Yep! I first got it published here. Then, I tried to get it move to the niche site. I regret publishing without understanding what it meant and without giving much thought. I was new here 2 months back.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I thought the hub about hand raisiing a baby lovebird was better done than the one about mating. (Same question about the images source--are they creative commons/commercial use allowed? Do you have permission to use the images from other sites?) The images you do have are appropriate, but the first part of the hub is just like a blog post about your birds. HP is not a blog and you will not get much traffic if you treat it like one. To get a lot of traffic hubs should be set up like magazine articles--if the new hub was about courtship and jealousy more Lovebird owners would be interested. (I have a male lovebird that I bought to keep company with my Blue-headed Pionus. He is interesting to watch. My Pionus deserves a blog post but not here at HP. I wrote an article about my Amazon but it is about methods to exercise your parrot, so appropriate for HP.)
        If you submitted your first lovebird hub to Bellatory, that is part of the problem. The curators have a lot of submissions, and if a submission is not perfect for their needs I thnk they just kick it to the bottom of the pile.
        Some of the niche pages have excellent traffic and are well worth your while. I have had a 50% increase in traffic and I have seen some others (Solaras, Agilitymach) that have mentioned even better improvements.
        You are doing great after only 2 months. I deleted most of the hubs I wrote in the first few months as they were not as well formatted as yours. (This is a good place to learn!)

Thank you DrMark for your advice and kind words. For a person like me, who has never written anything before, your appreciation means a lot. I would definitely try better and yes, I am learning a lot of things.
          If we include some images from other sources other than those provided by Wikipedia Commons, is it a problem?
          I try to use as many original images as I can. How do we know there is a copyright or not on images from random sites? Can you please tell me?

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

Most of my photos are from the pre-digital days so I download from flickr and pixabay. Flickr is easy to use since you can select to look at only photos that are free for commercial use, and since I want to write about dog breeds that I no longer have photos of, I download a lot. If you use Pixabay, photos do not even require a source, but I put it on there just to remember where I got the photo.
            Your own photos are always best.
            This is one of my birds in my front yard.
            http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13264171.jpg

Thank you so much for your help DrMark. I have not used Flickr or Pixabay till now. But, I would surely do in the future.
              Such a lovely bird. What's his/her name? ☺

Shaitan
                You do speak Arabic too, right?
                He is one of those birds that are super sweet with me, loves to sit on my lap and be carressed, yet when neighbor kids come over he bites so hard that he draws blood.
                I named my Pionus for his personality too. His name is Docinho, which is Portuguese for "Sweetie". He lets anyone pick him up and scratch his head.

Woah, so cute! Yep, I do speak Arabic but I don't know the whole of it; 40% I guess. I am Indian but I was born and brought up in Kuwait. Did you learn speaking Arabic?

I speak Darija (Maghribi dialectical).

2. lovetherain profile image78
              lovetherainposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don't you worry he's going to fly away?

He knows where he lives! (To paraphrase, if you have a parrot and he flies away, he wasnt yours anyway.)

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

You can use any images provided they are licensed for commercial use.  However the easiest way is to look on Pixabay.com and Pexels.com, both of which have a wide range of photos which can be used freely.

Do also make sure, if you're using Wikimedia Commons, that you're pasting the appropriate information into the Source URL.

I have a Hub on how to use photos legally, you'll find it on the slider on my profile.

By the way, you do NOT have to make all images full width!   I have several Hubs which have moved to niche sites with right-floated photos. 

However, if you right-float your photos, always check the Preview and look at the Hub in Mobile view to decide if it works.  In Mobile view, right-floated photos become full width, and they appear ABOVE the paragraph, not below. Depending on how the image relates, that can look illogical so it's something to think about.

I like my Hubs to look good both on a desktop PC and on mobiles, and I think the right-floated photos "dress up" a Hub in desktop view without disrupting the text - so I do like to use them when I can.  After all, HubPages takes care of making them full width when necessary.

Marisa, I know an Indian hubber that submits very interesting hubs about dogs from Asia that are full of grammatical and spelling errors. Many of his hubs have been corrected by the HP team and then moved over to Pethelpful.
              Based on that, is it okay to tell people "To be moved to a niche site, your hub does not need to be free of excessive grammatical and spelling errors"?

I don't see how that equates?

Right-floating a photo is using a feature on HubPages that is perfectly legal and acceptable - if it's not acceptable, all HubPages has to do is remove the float buttons (just like they removed the RSS feed capsule and the eBay capsule etc etc.)

The only problem with right-floating is that when the photos are made full-width, they move ABOVE the paragraph they belong to.  Often that makes it look illogical, and that's why (for simplicity) they suggest making images full-width.  However, provided you understand that and use the Preview button to make sure everything makes sense, there's absolutely no problem with right floating.

I know desktop readers are in the minority on HubPages now, but I still like to give them the best experience i can, and to me that means using right-floated images.

I cannot tell you if it was Christy, Robin, or Paul that made the comment, but at some point we were told that if we wanted to edit our hubs to have a greater chance of success of being picked for the niche sites, we should make the photos full width.
                  I know that they are moving some of them without being full width, but I do not think that is what they are looking for.

You are quite right, I've seen the comment recommending full width several times, but they generally explain it's to suit mobile viewers - which is stupid, because the system makes all photos full-width for them anyway!

I suspect they feel it's easier to say, make them full width, than to explain about where the full-width appears and making sure it's not pixelated when it moves to full size etc. 

All I can say is that it's not my experience at all.  I just had a few more moved over and they do have right-floaters.  So I'm not convinced it's a major factor if the Hub is good enough otherwise.  And I do think that if it's so vital, then all they have to do is disable the float buttons.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I agree.  Furthermore, ads should also be full width. Otherwise they may not appear in the right places on mobiles.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I'm pretty sure it depends on existing traffic primarily! If the hub had a lot of traffic, it was worth it for hp to fix it up and post it to pethelpful.

I do not think this is any longer the case.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Dr.Mark:  I am amazed that this person's work is moving to the niches, but I believe his case to be unusual.  It takes a great deal of time to edit hubs so specifically, so I suspect the team prefers those written in the best possible way.  I would never advise people to submit hubs that are not well written.

I think you are right. If his grammar and spelling was better he would probably have a lot more moved over to the niche sites, but the ones that have been moved are so unusual that I guess HP considers it worth their time to clean them up.
                  I do not think they could take the time to edit the majority of hubs so carefully.

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image94

Thank you Marisa for your valuable comments and advice. ☺

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)