jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

From the horses mouth... (Quality guidelines from Google)

1. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 8 years ago

* Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.

* Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank.

* Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc.

* Avoid hidden text or hidden links.

* Don't use cloaking or sneaky redirects.

* Don't send automated queries to Google.

* Don't load pages with irrelevant keywords.

* Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

Source

2. thranax profile image27
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

That's not too hard to follow. It's basically saying make your own original content and you will be rewarded greatly by Google!

~thranax~

3. Everyday Miracles profile image92
    Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago

#1 is pretty important, in my experience. If you follow the basic guidelines for SEO for Google, you'll find that they are more user-friendly anyway (like header text and bolding important words in your article).

Thanks darkside!

4. Kelsey Tallis profile image64
    Kelsey Tallisposted 8 years ago

So by hidden links, you mean a link "embedded" within a word or phrase, correct? I didn't realize that would even be a problem. Is it because they may think you're trying to direct someone to a suspicious (or adult) site?

From what I've read so far, as long as you write "naturally," you should be okay... and that writing "naturally" tends to create natural keywords anyway.

1. Misha profile image72
      Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

No, incorrect smile

Google means links that are not visible to users, but visible to search engines. There are ways to do this smile

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image64
        Kelsey Tallisposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for answering that Misha, but could you explain further? I don't understand what you are referring to...

5. Everyday Miracles profile image92
    Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago

Kelsey, I think that if you don't know how to do it you aren't doing it. And there isn't a way here on Hubpages, is there? You need javascript and/or comment tags, right?

6. Misha profile image72
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

EM, there are easier ways, like using the same color for fore- and back-ground smile And what did you mean by comment tags?

Kelsey, don't worry, you don't need this, and as EM rightly noticed - if you don't know, you aren't doing it. Regular anchor text links (which I think you meant in your original question) are absolutely OK smile

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image64
      Kelsey Tallisposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Misha and EM, thanks for answering! I still don't know exactly what you mean but I get the impression that's probably a good thing, lol! And Misha, yeah, the "anchor text links" are what I was confused about.

Cheers! :-D

2. Everyday Miracles profile image92
      Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

D'oh! I never thought of that because would you believe I almost always highlight a page if it isn't black on white? I usually catch those links and navigate away when I notice them!

Comment:

<!--Comment-->

7. Lissie profile image82
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

I wrote this one about 6 months ago but it still stands - in fact nothing much has changed for years SEO Google Explains How to Do It

8. Misha profile image72
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

gotcha smile

working