jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

CPM and the January hangover

1. chef-de-jour profile image90
    chef-de-jourposted 8 months ago

I'm a dimwit when it comes to knowledge of CPM but thought I'd do a little more research into this murky subject just to satisfy my curiousity. Seems the month of January is always an "after the Lord Mayor's Show comes the +*%*cart" scenario. That is, CPM tends to plummet following the bingeful Christmas season because the advertisers compete like crazy for space up until Christmas, then ease off the pedal in the New Year.
    For those in the dark I found this forum thread quite enlightening : http://hubpages.com/community/forum/130 … ng-cpm-why

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 8 months ago in reply to this

Makes sense. I noticed that the holiday time is always good and at some point  afterward there's a drop in the CPM.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 8 months ago

In past years I've seen a decrease, but it didn't "plummet" and it took a few weeks to fully kick in.  I suppose that lots of people are buying after Xmas (got cash as a gift, maybe) and advertisers recognize this.  But it WILL decrease.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 months ago

After a very strong fourth quarter of 2016 I'm ready to deal with the inevitable January plunge. Historically it's the lowest CPM month of the year right next to the doldrum month of July. I found the 2nd and 4th quarters of the year to be the best while the 1st and 3rd are often the weakest (exceptions revolve around niche subjects).

working