How Was Your CPM on 1st Jan?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (81 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Mine has hit rock bottom. Hopefully a one off.

1. OldRoses profile image66
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So glad I was sitting down when I checked it. 

What is going on?  CPMs in 2021 were half what they were in 2020 and 2019. 

Yes, I keep records.  I love spreadsheets.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Not good.

3. Bushra Iqbal profile image80
      Bushra Iqbalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This website - Hubpages - has gone from 'pretty good' to 'dreadful'.

4. bravewarrior profile image83
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

CPM was about $3 than January 1st 2021, but still low. My GA shows increased traffic on the 2nd. Anyone else?

eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, higher than it's been for a couple of weeks, but still 30% down on last year. Hourly traffic today seems to be up to November levels, but might be just a temporary surge. Traffic always seems to start to rise in January for me. Maybe something to do with New Year resolution optimism.

2. bravewarrior profile image83

Oops. I meant $3 more than 1/1/21.

5. SerenityHalo profile image92
      SerenityHaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Big earnings/CPM drop for January 1st and January 2nd. Traffic dropped by about 3,000 views for January 1st and then jumped back up the next day.

6. NateB11 profile image84
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's when mine fell off the cliff. I came back after staying away for a long time and saw horrible earnings and then saw this post and checked my CPMs and saw exactly when my earnings sunk.

7. EricFarmer8x profile image61
      EricFarmer8xposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Pretty low right now. But I just had my best month earnings wise in December. I was over $40 and I did not expect to see that until I wrote much more. Did not quite make it to $50 a month, though.

8. SerenityHalo profile image92

December was pretty low for me too. The lowest December in years. January hurts but in a different way... because January isn't normally a strong month. The first quarter is usually the hardest for me.

Something happened in September last year, and I haven't really seen a sign of improvement since. I'm trying to hustle for HP and also build in other spots. Medium is starting to patch the hole in HP earnings. I'm trying out Vocal.Media, but its viewership isn't very high. It's comparable to some of Hubpages highest niche sites. Medium gets significantly more traffic.

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image86
        Jonathan Wylieposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How difficult is it to make money on Medium? I heard it was kind of a slog.

1. SerenityHalo profile image92

For me, about $15 the first month, $100 the second, and $200 the third. For initial growth, that’s not too bad.

Also, I want to mention I had 38 views one day and made $16. I think there is a lot of potential on Medium if you're willing to consistently post.

9. SerenityHalo profile image92

Not sure if this is helpful, but I looked at my CPMS, and there are only a handful of months where mine dipped to around $1 to $1.99.

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, Feb 2017, April 2020, Jan 2021, and Jan 2022.

This trend usually doesn't last long, at most a couple of weeks.

Last year, mine started to improve around mid January.

2. psycheskinner profile image76
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There are year-on-year trends as well as annual trends

10. Amara Hassan profile image89
      Amara Hassanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I dnt know but my CPM has been dropped drastically since last month. Views have increased but cpm dropped, so do earnings. Not happy with this drop.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I hate to sound like the Prophet of Doom, but as you know, I've been dreading January for some time.

My earnings were abysmal yesterday. I expect an improvement when people go back to work, but maybe not by much.

Now might be a good time to halve the baked bean rations?

3. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 2 years ago

I had to drink whisky after seeing it.

4. Eric Caunca profile image97
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 years ago

1$.

5. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

It's actually hard to compare to previous periods because the way impressions are listed keep halving and then doubling again every so many days, whatever's going on with the stats.

6. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

The worrying thing is that if traffic keeps falling, maybe companies will pull advertising or lower priced advertising will be have to offered to potential advertisers. I don't know how it works, but isn't that the way commercial TV works? TV stations want engagement to keep advertisers happy. I wonder what the figures are for total traffic to each site?
    This was the traffic for last month compared to last year for my highest traffic article. According to GA, that page had a significantly longer load time for December compared to November. Those warnings are quite frequent, maybe something to do with ads?

https://hubstatic.com/15841853_f1024.jpg

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
      PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think the bottom line for me is earnings. I have multiple HP accounts and as far as I'm concerned CPMs are much more flaky and open to interpretation than they may appear.

The trends for views/impressions and CPMs are important, though, of course, and it's definitely not good.

Advertisers want to target sites that are popular and getting more popular.  If a site seems to be in decline, there's a danger of it falling into a negative loop.

Things aren't perhaps as hairy as they used to be, though, in the sense that the site is part of something bigger nowadays (Maven/Arena). I just wish we got more official communications, like the old days.

The question is whether Maven is subsidising Hubpages, or they're out on their own. I wish Hubpages and the niches sites were marketed and advertised more as a brand to at least make the punters aware of the names. For instance when I search for DIY articles and get a list of search results,  I know FamilyHandyman is one of the sites that has lots of articles, although not necessarily very in-depth on a subject.

Here's a couple of references I've come across for Owlcation:

https://www.librarything.com/topic/296327

https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-think-of-Owlcation

Maven/Arena (and HP) are backed up by venture capital.

HP and Medium are not profit-making as far as I'm aware. But that doesn't matter if they've got investors/money available.

1. JerryFisher profile image85
            JerryFisherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah the long term (short term?) worry is that they put HP out to pasture. There appears to be no longer any management for it although we  occasionally hear from Matt. But also no encouragement to write, like there was in the old days of HP, but then they had a team and they don't appear to any longer. The worry also is that admin must be writing out thousands of $50 cheques each month for people that haven't been on here for years. The whole thing is a real shame as I've personally seen my earnings tumble for about two years now and although at first I guess like all, I relentlessly edited and applied fresh content, it made little difference but maybe stabilise the views until there'd be another plummet. I truly don't want to put any more energy into that any longer. Just a shame there's nowhere else to go. I guess there's a new audience on the net now that either can't read or can't be bothered reading and they learn everything through video. Makes you despair a little.

My earnings for 2021 were actually the highest ever in 10 years. Traffic only started to decline at the start of October.

Yes, the first half of last year was a golden period for me, too. I thought they'd cracked the code.

We'll have to see what the Arena changes bring. The general trend since I've been here, starting in 2011, is that the "community" and "social" aspects have gradually been squeezed out of existence and it's become more like a traditional professional publisher with editors and increased editorial policies etc.

To a large extent, the direction of the company is dictated by Google, due to the business model which relies on search engine traffic. HP are forced to keep going "leaner and fitter" because any material interpreted by Google to be "low quality" drags the entire site down.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image84
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I was kicking ass all December long, so I had a feeling that as soon as the calendar turned, January would suck. Therefore I wasn't surprised.

8. poppyr profile image89
    poppyrposted 2 years ago

About 2/3 the value of December's daily average.

9. Robie Benve profile image84
    Robie Benveposted 2 years ago

My CPM is lower after Dec 31st but my views are slightly up for some reason.
    My guess is that after the shop-frenzy of the holidays, companies are paying less for ads now.
    It happens every January, but in previous years the average CPM was higher, so now this seasonal decline looks particularly sad.

10. Gregory DeVictor profile image99
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 years ago

Terrible.

11. Shesabutterfly profile image98
    Shesabutterflyposted 2 years ago

Loweset CPM to date. With the halving of my traffic it's not looking too good. This should be the end of my peak time, but unfortunately I saw a rapid decline much earlier for December. My random article that is still surprisingly seeing a rise in traffic is not close to making up for the loss of my main articles.

I hope things start turning around on all fronts.

12. Solaras profile image82
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

Earnings are half what they were previous weekends.  I expected a drop, but this is terrible.

13. PaulGoodman67 profile image97

Currently, I am still at least getting the "Amazon afterglow" that follows Christmas. When that's gone, things will be truly dire.

My only hope is that earnings follow the same pattern as last year, when (at least for me) things started slow but got very good for the next five months. It's a blind hope, though.

I still like this site and want to write more for HP, but it's hard not to get cold feet when things aren't going well.

1. OldRoses profile image66

The problem is that there is nowhere else to go.  I plan on staying on HP because of that and the fact that I don't want to start another website.  It's too much work and too expensive.  I maintain a website for my business but if I decide to retire, I would delete that website for those reasons.

I like that HP does all of the work for me in return for a percentage of my earnings.  It's an easy trade-off for me.

I'm staying at HP. It gives me a reasonable income and I can work intensively, or do very little, according to how I feel and what's going on in my life.

Psychological, though, it's hard to write a lot when the site is doing badly. I wrote about 40 hubs between Jan and May last year, and then only about 5 after things started going awry.

You're right that writing options are limited.

I do okay at Medium, but I feel that I'm running on a hamster wheel there and I will take a hit whenever I step off. I prefer the HP model.

I could do some freelance stuff, but I dread dealing with clients and deadlines and all that stuff.

I will have to look outside the writing world, I guess. I always have multiple stuff happening, but writing is my favorite. I will need to focus more on something else, or start something new, if this dire situation continues.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image61
          EricFarmer8xposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I use Medium to write about whatever random nonsense I want. I don't have much expectations for my writing there. But I am getting tiny amounts of views.

I have been focusing on writing for Medium recently as I am enjoying it. I tend to write smaller stories that answer a single question or go over a single thought I have.

I need to remember to write new hubs. But I have been so busy trying to write content for other platforms I have neglected my HubPages account last year.

Last year I started to write on Medium and I am testing this new website out called Vocal. It reminds me of HubPages in many ways. I also have my own website.

I am in this awkward spot where I make enough money on HubPages to care. But not enough that it does too much for me.

14. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Just read this from the "Related Discussions" below. Last year though, for me, there wasn't a huge difference between December and January.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/10 … -last-week

There's usually a big drop off from December to January, that's normal in my experience?

I think you're an exception, if that doesn't happen for you. It may relate to  subject matter, of course, DIY tends to be more stable, for instance.

I have more than one account and they do all vary, but there's typically a noticeable drop.

That said, there was a positive algo change in December 2020, if I remember rightly, so that likely helped to ameliorate the earnings drop last year?

I think the significant thing this year for me was that things went from bad to worse, proving that no matter how dire things are, they can always deteriorate further! smile

I think that this time we had the opposite happen, we got a bad algo change in December, so the new year earnings drop was exaggerated rather than flattened.

15. revmjm profile image88
    revmjmposted 2 years ago

Paul, I feel the same way you do. I have written for several sites over 12 years, and I always default to HubPages. I like it much better than any of the other sites I have been a part of.  https://toughnickel.com/self-employment … About-Them

16. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I can't remember which screen shows CPMs

1. bravewarrior profile image83

Go to Earnings Program Settings and click on Ad Program Reports. That's where you'll find Impressions, CPM, and Earnings.

1. psycheskinner profile image76

Thanks, mine was $1.53 -- which is pretty dismal compared to what I got a few years ago even over the same period, but it does seem to be trending up again right now.  My CPMs for Jan 1 over the years being 5.09 / 5.75 / 7.01 / 3.61 / 3.47 / 4.04 / 5.79 / 3.69 / 6.48 / 1.53

Thank you for sharing this. I think this paints the picture really well.

1. psycheskinner profile image76

We aren't really meant to share this kind of info but I doubt they monitor the forums much any more

17. PaulGoodman67 profile image97

That "product reviews" update by Google seemed to wipe off over 15% of my views in December.

It's early days, I can't tell if it's just the workers, schools and students going back after the New Year, but there might be a slow recovery going on. I guess time will tell.

18. theraggededge profile image88
    theraggededgeposted 2 years ago

Medium earnings are double HP right now. Combining the two with Adsense, I should be looking at a decent month ahead.

HP on its own though yikes

I wish I had gotten on Medium sooner. I started getting into it in November. I’m pleased with the growth I’ve had so far, and it is a nice buffer while HP goes sideways.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image97

My Medium earnings were on a promising trajectory back when they were paying out hundreds in bonuses and the Medium algorithm was more generous. Now my earnings there are pretty stagnant.

My Medium earnings are about twenty percent of HP.

My earnings on Medium are only enough to cover the subscription. I'm still hoping people will dip into the DIY/Gardening publication over time if I can get enough followers.

1. theraggededge profile image88
          theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Mine were over $400 last month, up from $94 the previous month. I've never received a bonus; came into it too late. I just keep plodding along. Some articles are successful, others not. I can never tell which ones will attract the readers.

2. OldRoses profile image66

I agree.  It's gotten a lot tougher on Medium, but my earnings from that site are still 10x what I earn on HP.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image97

The big contrast is if I calculate earnings as an hourly rate. I do really well at HP and terrible at Medium, when all the time I put in is considered.

Okay, it can be argued that it's an unfair comparison: I don't have to put that much time at HP because I've built up a body of work over ten years.

However, the passive earning element is super-important, as far as I'm concerned, it's a deal breaker for me.

19. Solaras profile image82
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

Meanwhile at HP the CPM rate is 50% of last month on PetHelpful.  Horrible.  And, oddly, this thread does not appear in my notifications.  Maybe that feature is out of order right now.

20. honghanhvt1182 profile image84
    honghanhvt1182posted 2 years ago

I had the worst payment, the lowest amounts that I have seen in years from the second half of December until now sad. I literally earned a few cents a day. I hope things will improve soon and this is just something seasonal, not a major concern to watch out sad

There was a major Google algorithm change in December that affected views/impressions negatively.

I think that conspired with the general drop in earnings after Xmas and the quarterly drop in CPMs at the start of January to deliver a crushing blow.

Who knows when things will improve...

At least traffic is beginning to rise again, but still 30% down on last year. A major drop occurred at the start of October.

https://hubstatic.com/15849117_f1024.jpg

It's maybe too early to say if it's a significant trend, but let's hope that things have bottomed out and are on the rise again.

I hate to sound conspiratorial, but it sometimes feels like there's a history of the site getting hit in late summer/autumn and losing out on the most lucrative period of the year; only to see a recovery in January when earning rates are lower. That's not really scientific, but how it feels.

We can only hope that 2022 follows the trend that you and I saw last year and things get better and better.

21. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

The impression calculation method seems to have changed again. Impressions are reduced by nearly 50% (although views were higher), but CPM although it appears higher hasn't increased proportionately. In fact it dropped again. Unless of course there's a delay in calculating impressions.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image98
      Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My earnings for today are showing half impressions, but double CPM so earnings are comparable to yesterday when impressions were higher, but CPM was much lower. I do not have an asterisk so I'm assuming these are final. A bit disappointing that impressions have gone down again, but if CPM's climb back up it will be about the same earnings for me I think.

Yeah, who knows what's happening with the reporting?!?!? Seems like a mess today!

My weekly newsletter reports that were emailed suggested that I've gained back the traffic that was lost in December. I guess the hope is that the traffic continues to improve.

CPMs should increase by mid-Feb, if normally seasonal trends happen, but by how much is anyone's guess.

22. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Tuesday impressions and CPM changed again from yesterday's figures, almost doubling, even though the asterisk had disappeared late yesterday. Maybe stats weren't fully complete. Wednesdays impressions are almost half of what they should be again, similar to Tuesday's values.

Yes, I think there's been some delayed reporting going on.

At least the rise in traffic gives me a few straws to clutch at. Virtually all the news since last May has been pretty miserable.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image98
      Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed this as well. Ultimately it doesn't really affect my earnings, so I haven't been paying much attention to it lately. This new system seems to take much longer to finalize figures for some reason. I have never seen almost daily changes like this in all the years that I have been here.

My cpm/impressions have been changing often since the introduction of this new calculation for impressions started. I don't understand how it causes such drastic cpm changes, but my earnings are very similar whether I have lower impressions with higher cpm or higher impressions with lower cpm.

The changes are volatile for me. December was poor compared to other Decembers. I'm making about half that for January. My only solution is to diversify where I write.

23. Sherry Hewins profile image87
    Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago

For me, all metrics are up for the past three days. More views, higher CPM, more money.

1. bravewarrior profile image83

Monday, the 10th was the highest for me so far this month. However, GA shows a huge drop on the 11th and a better 20% gain on the 12th. However, stats are lower than on the 8th, but gaining traction after the drop on the 11th. I have noticed, via my GA account, that articles that weren't previously gaining traffic are now. To me that's a plus, considering I'd only written one new article in 2021. The articles that receive organic traffic were written prior, some years ago. As long as I receive my intermittent HP payments (typically every other month), I'm a happy girl. Thank goodness for my well-paying day job!

24. Dean Traylor profile image96
    Dean Traylorposted 2 years ago

Bad. Need I say more?

25. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

What! 50 cent CPM yesterday? That's the lowest in 11 years. Hopefully this is an error or because stats aren't complete and it's not because companies have ended advertising contracts on Hubpages. I know we're not supposed to discuss CPM, but this is serious.

1. Misbah786 profile image81
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday, my CPM was 0.10 cents, and I earned $0.01. Lol! I'm very proud of this 0.01 Dollars.

Please don't try to fool your heart, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an error. Lol!! big_smile wink

Mine says pending…

2. chef-de-jour profile image100
      chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Let's hope there's an error, a glitch, a huge mistake. Please, someone from HP, put us out of our misery sooner rather than later.

26. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Mine has an asterisk, so hopefully all the revenue hasn't been added to the total.

1. AliciaC profile image94
      AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope that’s the case!

1. Misbah786 profile image81
        Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

+1

27. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Phew! Values seem to have updated.

28. JR Cuevas profile image95
    JR Cuevasposted 2 years ago

Mine went drop from December to early January. But now, I think it is slowly recovering. smile Hopefully, it sustains.

29. Organised Kaos profile image72
    Organised Kaosposted 2 years ago

I stopped writing for Hubpages over 2 odd years ago for editing and then re-editing their edits multiple times. The content is not mine anymore, they basically have put in incorrect information. So I am just here to collect the $$$ now and write elsewhere.

Was a great platform, and then they stuffed it right up.

FROM near $1k payouts to now $100 - pathetic

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)