Trolls in Hubpage forums

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Yup, there are trolls on hubpage forums.

The goal of a troll is to make the 'victim' lose his/her cool. Then the troll is won. According to a recent study, trolls really are nasty people. They want to humiliate, embarras, belittle,, etc. They don't have any friends and are jealous people.

They have several methods for doing that, and the more subtle they are in getting their jibes and digs in, the greater their win.

So, here's how they do it. They ignore what has actually been said and keep hurling accusations at you. They twist what you have said and make it mean something else. They ignore your comments at crucial moments. Again their goal is to inflame or belittle.

To quote a troll ""It just makes me happy when I can make someone angry. It sounds weird but I kind of feed off their anger. The angrier I can get them, the better I feel," he told news.com.au."   (https://goo.gl/cegJr8)

Trolls enjoy the infamy popularity that is given to them. Why would that be?   

To quote "Controversy, anger, hatred, and baseless flaming breed popularity. ...  (http://www.dedoimedo.com/life/guide-trolling.html}

Why would trolls who belittle and set out to anger other people be popular?

A study published a few days ago says that 30% of humanity are jealous of other people, and they want, above all things, to be superior to other people. People who enjoy the belittle of other people fall into this group, so they enjoy trolling.

When has the troll lost? When he is exposed as a troll.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13366664_f1024.jpg

1. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Report trolls to hp editors and they quickly get rid of them.

2. asifahsankhan profile image60
      asifahsankhanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it is true. There are trolls here. But aren't they everywhere?

PS: Here's a hint (picture) for everyone who doesn't quite know what a "TROLL" looks like:
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13366916_f1024.jpg

Reporting them is the only way to get rid off them.... for a short while I guess....

3. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One more thing about trolls:

They don't give up.  If they can't bait you with insults and negative comments they'll throw a compliment at you just to get your attention.  When you bite, they'll proceed with cleverly manipulating the conversation in the direction they had always intended....

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tess,

Trolling is against the HubPages rules, so if you see people engaging in this behavior (whether you're part of the conversation or not-- and we recommend not engaging trolls) please use the report function to report the trolling comments in order to make the moderators aware of the issue.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Christy,
        If I were to email you via Team HP would you reply?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

I am no longer working on the Team emails, but you will absolutely get a reply from one of the moderators. smile

@Christy,
            That, for me, is sad news. OH, I am happy if you were promoted for you deserve it, but was it something I say to you? If so, I apologize.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Not at all! I love interacting with Hubbers, but after we hired a couple new moderators, my time was needed more elsewhere.

@Christy Kirwan:
                Whew! That is good to know. My mouth, well, errr, fingers/keyboard sometimes get me in unwanted places that I have to spend time explaining what I mean. Hey, a hub idea. Thanks, Dear Friend, Christy smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

I don't agree. I think I know the forum thread you're referring to. The Troll loses when no one pays attention to him/her. In the other thread the person was obviously treated as a troll but kept on going with more twists to every statement said lol

I appreciate the heads-up on trolls. Since I am not in this or
      any other forum that much, this advice will come in handy.

2. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

100% agree Lobobrandon. There's nothing a troll hates more than to be ignored. Hence, the expression, "Don't feed the trolls!"

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
        TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This wasn't about feeding the trolls or how to deal with them. Just that the techniquest that trolls use are alive and well  on HP..

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
          Marketing Meritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My reply was in response to Lobobrandon's comment, as imported in my reply, and not yours.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tess, yes I wasn't countering what you're saying. I agree that there are trolls around. Everywhere on the internet, and HP is no exception.

A lot of the younger generation has no real emotions when it comes to people telling them stuff as they grew up with the internet and they never take anything to heart. That's the way you and all of us need to be when it comes to the internet, especially forums.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's not a matter of particular threads. There are many. Virtually every question here shows evidence of trolling technques. The point is it's troll behaviour.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years ago

Just coolly respond like my ex would:  "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." Then walk away.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Trolls are truly unhappy souls.  If they weren't, they wouldn't be on.......ATTACK.
    http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12748028.jpg

It is best to report them.  Ignoring them only makes them....WORSE.   Also, trolls are emotionally immature.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If they received no response at all, they would go elsewhere. I report and do not reply to them. Unfortunately, if they are provocative enough, someone will respond to them.

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

Good info, Tess. This should be a hub. The trolls on HP are tame compared to those on Twitter. I had to sign off the other night it got so bad. And they weren't even directed at me! Just really hurtful and vile, about First Lady Michelle Obama. It was awful. Only one mild reply to one of my tweets but I ignored it and blocked the culprit. Sad times we're in, eh?

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Michelle Obama is likable, intelligent and articulate and that is enough to make many less fortunate people hate her. Her height and obvious athleticism are probably a bit alarming for anemic basement dwellers, too, lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)