Anyone facing similar issues with their hosting?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

Hello there

I've been using hostgator for many years. Slowly but steadily they are damaging my account...

First they charged me for three years of hosting at the time of renewal but did not renew my primary domain, which gets free renewal with hosting payment.

Next, I wasn't able to register new domains there

Next, my websites started having downtime

Next, I can not contact them, through chat... Can not even create support tickets while signed in.  Sign out and as I verify my account, again ticket is not created

There is much more.... but for now I would like to know if anyone else is facing these issues with hostgator???

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I used Hostgator for many years and never had any trouble with them.  However eventually, I started having unacceptable downtime. 

There are several good alternatives out there, and most of them will move our account for you if you switch to them, so the process is painless.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ty... Can you please suggest a few alternatives? Which one are you most satisfied with?

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have used many hosting companies over the years as a full-time online publisher. I strongly recommend Rochen. They have outstanding customer service. Nobody else comes close.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Hostgator was fantastic until they were bought out by EIG. After that, they began to go downhill steadily - 1 minute live chat waits turned into 45 minutes and ticket replies went from 1 hour to 12 hours, with most replies being "We don't know".

Last year, my website went down due to a viral traffic burst and Hostgator gave me no warning. I spent hours on live chat and lodging tickets and their final reply was basically "We can't do anything, maybe you should clean up your site." They didn't offer any help, they didn't even offer to upsell (which I would've happily done, desperate as I was, losing hundreds of dollars).

I did some research and moved over to my own cloud server on Siteground. They are fantastic! 10 second live chat wait times, 15 minute ticket times and very knowledgeable staff. My second choice was WP Engine, but due to the high cost of servers, Siteground was a better price.

I now warn everyone away from EIG owned hosting companies - Hostgator, Bluehost, Hostmonster and a stack of others.

Also, it's good practice to have your domain registered at a different place than your hosting. wink

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why is it a good idea to have your domain at a different place than your hosting? I did at one point of time, until they both merged lol Godaddy bought over the smaller company.

EDIT: I never had the intention of having my domain and the hosting on different providers to begin with. Just that hosting was cheaper on one and the domain on the other. And I was a affiliate newbie back then, so didn't want to spend much on website stuff.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are a variety of reasons, but I think this quote sums the main ones up:

"Disreputable hosting companies can hold your domain name ransom if you decide you want to switch to a rival hosting company. They can use the advertisement of a free domain name to lure you in and keep you trapped as their customer by making it very inconvenient to switch. Some web hosts may even keep the domain name if you cancel your hosting account. Since your domain name is part of your branding and an essential piece of your site, this leaves you little choice but to stick with the web host you originally wanted to leave. Also keep in mind that a “free” domain name may only be free for the first year. After that, the web host may charge an unfair price. Always be sure to check what price your domain name renews at. Web hosts can often be more expensive than via a domain registrar." via How to Get Online

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Understood smile

It was more expensive at the hosting site that's the reason I bought the domain name elsewhere even though the first year was free. But the ransom thing was a major yikes moment. Never expected any of them to stoop that low.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ok that might be the reason of bluehost being so irritating. I will definitely check the two names you suggested. Ty

4. carolynkaye profile image94
    carolynkayeposted 7 years ago

I also really like Siteground. Their support is fast and I've had almost no downtime.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)