Urgent website help and advice needed

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. cindyvine profile image71
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Last year I made my own website using Go Daddy and their website creator.  I bought my domain name from them.  A friend's son, then said he can make my website better and he used wordpress to create a website for me with my domain name I'd bought.  He took it away from Go Daddy ( I don't know how) and arranged free hosting for me.  (I don't know how or with whom.)  However, I've just discovered that my website can no longer open and says there's a broken link.  I guess that this means his hosting is no longer working.  I've tried to open it up through the wordpress.admin login I have, but that won't work either.  It was all working well for 11 months.  So, today I went back to Go daddy as I have actually still being paying monthly for the hosting even though I wasn't using it, went onto the dashboard and found my original website still there, updated it and republished it.  But, even that won't show when you type in my web address, even though it says it was successfully published.  I've emailed my friend's son but he's not replying.  Please, any advice how I can get my website up and running again, or alternatively how I can use my domain name again to set up another new site will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tearing her hair out Cindy

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You either have to get in touch with the person to whom you handed control of your website, or you need to go into GoDaddy and change the nameserver so that it's pointing to a hosting space that you control.

2. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

The best would be to contact your son's friend.
    Otherwise,
    Login to your account on GoDaddy.
    Try to find something like redirections.
    If there are any, deactivate them.
    Try to check you DNS servers in your account.
    Get help from godaddy if you cant manage these.
    Good luck.

3. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Working on some assumptions here... the domain name could still be at GoDaddy, it could just be pointing to a different Domain Name Server. Can you access your GoDaddy account and reset the DNS Settings?

If so, then point it back at the GoDaddy servers. You might have to shoot off a quick email to their support and give them some background info and say that you want need the DNS settings for your GoDaddy hosting account.

That might fix things. Anything that you've posted in the last 11 months will be lost to you though.

4. darkside profile image63

Also check and see if your domain name registration has lapsed.

5. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

that's what i was thinking, that your registration just lapsed. your domain would still be there but they won't provide access to it. good luck.

6. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Expires on: 2010-02-07 09:57:27

Domain Name: CINDYVINE.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
          NS07.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
          NS08.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

The domain controllers seem to be ok for CINDYVINE.COM.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Those nameservers belong to Wild West Domains:
      http://www.wildwestdomains.com/

They offer free web hosting, but only if you have a paid account with them.  I'm wondering if your friend's son had an account with them and your site is hosted through that - which means that if he's stopped paying his bills, your site would go down?

Try contacting them and see if they can shed any light.

7. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I had a bunch of problems with them.  There is a connection between Wild West Domains and GoDaddy.  The trouble I had was long afterwards they were taking different amounts out of my bank account, the bank couldn't find a tracing number for them, and because the amounts weren't the same each time, we couldn't stop them, so ended up closing out the bank account and reopening one under another number.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I agree to Glen, change DNS back to godaddy, whatever you have on their hosting will work then. If you don;t know how to do this, contact their support. smile

9. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Well, I already had the GoDaddy site open while looking for domains, so I found this support article telling you how to change nameservers. I agree that this is the most likely solution to your problem.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/664

10. cindyvine profile image71

Thanks for all the advice.  I contacted support at Go Daddy but they haven't replied then.  Okay so I am a dummy, how do I change the DNS server back to Go Daddy?  In fact, lol, I don't even know what a DNS server is

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you're in the control panel of your GoDaddy account and you're managing your domain there will be Domain Name Server Settings or DNS Settings or something similar mentioned.

Currently it will be:

NS07.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      NS08.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

What you need are the ones for GoDaddy. Which might be NS1.GODADDY.COM and NS2.GODADDY.COM or could be could be anything really, it depends on how they set them up and control them. So you'll have to contact GoDaddy. They'll need to know your domain so they can check and see where it used to be hosted, on one of their (I guess) many servers.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This information was in the GoDaddy support link I posted.

11. cindyvine profile image71

Thanks I managed to find the nameservers and click the box back to Go daddy.  However, my website still doesn't come up, so I'm thinking maybe I'm being impatient and it'll take a few hours and is not something that will happen instantly.  I really really appreciate all this advice!

1. twuxedo profile image58
      twuxedoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only person that can correct this is your Sons friend, as he knows the process that he went through to change in first instance.
      Keep trying him, you can waste hoours on this type of thing.
      Everyone is full of great advice and thats all good, but the buck stops at that Guy.
      BTW It is your own Domain so is still functioning in part. But link is clearly broken.

1. darkside profile image63

Have you ever registered a domain name?

2. Neil Ashworth profile image41
        Neil Ashworthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. As every server can have different protocol to go through, changing hosting is a very individual process from one server to another. Some will require an authorisation code which you can only get from one server to authrise transfer to another. Been there! and it's very painful...

2. darkside profile image63

It can take 24 to 48 hours for the DNS settings to resolve. Sometimes it can be much sooner, but that's how long they say it could take.

12. cindyvine profile image71

Thanks so much Darkside for your help and support, you are a gem!  I think it's work am just going to see in a couple of days.  Go Daddy support got back to me and told me to do exactly what you guys told me to do and I'd already done it!

13. darkside profile image63

Hopefully you'll be back up and blogging soon Cindy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)