I'd like feedback on my Hub: How to be a Photographer

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gwenneth Leaneposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub How to be a Photographer. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Glenis Rix profile image94
      Glenis Rixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You have written much of the hub in the first person. I think that this makes it  more like a blog than an article. I would try de-personalising it.

2. Jason mackenzie profile image78
      Jason mackenzieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi, overall informative, but I observed some grammatical errors. For example, the 2nd heading - 'The first settlers in hard times ate them' - wouldn't it sound better if framed as - The first settlers ate them when times were hard. '

Another one is this sentence 'Rule three places the horizon either above...'.. Since other rules are followed by a colon, this one should be too, for uniformity sake.

Hope it helps, thanks, regards...

2. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

The photo of your camera has a copyright symbol and name - That's not allowed. Even if you got permission to use the photo from the owner, it can't be used with that writing on it. It's the equivalent of an identifying watermark, so not acceptable according to the HP rules. The problem isn't the writing itself; your first photo has writing but that's fine as it's part of the image.

Another possible cause is the specification list for the camera. If you wrote that out and worded it yourself, that's fine, but if you copied and pasted from a website, it will show up as duplicate content. The list itself might also be seen as irrelevant. Your article is about becoming a photographer, not about the functions on one particular camera.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

I only scanned your article and noticed several errors.

"Rule Two: Layers of different colour, forground and background" Should be foreground.

"Camera –Artists Palette"  Camera – Artist's Palette 

"•The first Step" step should not be capitalized

I'm sure there are other errors that are getting in the way of QAP acceptance. Try running your copy through a program such as Grammarly - it's free - to catch these mistakes.

4. profile image0
    Gwenneth Leaneposted 6 years ago

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

5. Jason mackenzie profile image78
    Jason mackenzieposted 6 years ago

Most welcome. Do check out my hubs whenever you have time and leave comments. Thanks, regards...

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jason, requesting that people view your hubs is not encouraged - otherwise we'd all be doing it.

6. Jason mackenzie profile image78
    Jason mackenzieposted 6 years ago

Hi theraggededge, okay - noted. Just for clarification, it was not meant as a marketing gimmick but for seeking opinion from fresh set of eyes. As writers we all tend to miss a few crucial points which are immediately apparent to another person going through it. One way of overcoming this is to request someone to go through what you have written and provide feedback/comments. But anyway, sincere apologies, thanks, regards...

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's fine if you need to improve one hub for whatever reason, just ask here and post the link. However, best not to respond to someone else's request for feedback with an 'invitation to view'.

7. Annie Wright profile image81
    Annie Wrightposted 6 years ago

Hi,
    I noticed your title is How To Be A .... but you seem to center on a camera with its specifics and if it was copied you will need to quote to give credit to where the information came from. Try and remove some of the first person. I also noticed a few grammatical errors, easy to fix with Google tool grammar and spelling. Maybe use a flowchart to sort out the layout, rearrange the body of the article as I got the impression that it was more of a blog than an article. Very nice pictures and it was interesting to read.
    Annie

8. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 6 years ago

First get the bio written for this Hub. Second a picture from you of your camera is good and cut out the whole specs list. No need for that because the reader can get that at a buying site and you want to highlight "How To Be"... not the camera.
    Be sure to gives specifics of why you use this camera if a Amazon module stays. Put it at the end of the How to tips.
    For easier reading I would put each of the Four rules under the corresponding photo you are including afterwards. That way the photo illustration is visible while the rule is being talked about.   

See if you can pare down the sentences to make the paragraphs easier to read. The subject matter is good and gives important tips for anyone who wants to be serious about photography. When you submit be sure to think about each of the 11 or so criteria the submission process has you answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)