Payback Time! - Consider Submitting Images to Free Image Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (37 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Usually I try to use my own photos and graphics on hubs, but some photos are impractical to take, simply because the subject matter is unavailable. So I often download them from Wikimedia Commons, Pixabay or FreeDigitalPhotos. If you're good at taking photos, consider submitting them as public domain images or with an alternate Creative Commons licence to sites such as Pixabay.com. I've submitted 21 so far and had 6000 downloads. I probably feel a little bit begrudging about not getting donations to PayPal from downloaders (just a measly 56 cents!), but it can be interesting and flattering to see where and how photos are used online.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image94
      Bedbugabscondposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Bravo. I have thought about doing that, but never got around to it. I think its a great way to build reputation. Keep us posted with what you learn from it!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am the world's worst photographer...but I have a question.  What do you think is the best, easiest to use, small digital camera out there that allows you to transfer photos to your computer and does not require a sim card.  Any ideas?  Mine is shot...which may be why my photos suck lol!

eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you use a cheap smartphone, it can take wonderful photos. However you do need an SD card to store images. The SIM card stores phone numbers and allows you to connect to a network. It has nothing to do with storing photos, but is unnecessary in the phone in order to take photos. The photo below (right click and then click "view image" to see full res image) was taken with a Nokia Lumia 520 smartphone which is/was a budget smartphone and cost me €79 (about $86). The other cheapest option is a compact digital camera. Go for something with at least a 1 to 3 optical zoom. Digital zooming is useless. It basicaly just interpolates or "joins the dots" between pixels and stuffs extra ones into the file.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13515709_f1024.jpg

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Don't have a smart phone...still at the stupid phone stage!  Just looking for a relatively inexpensive digital camera I can use to take vacation photos that I can then store on a flash drive after editing them on my computer.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Buying a new phone could be the cheapest way to do it.   My husband has a LG smartphone with a 5 megapixel camera - which is low compared to some of the newer smartphones - yet his photos are good enough quality to use here.  As eugbug says, the zoom function on smartphones (and really cheap cameras) is useless, but if you don't need a zoom, the smartphone does the lot.

Have you guys tried smartphone zoom camera attachments yet? I haven't, but I am wondering if its with the time and money to try.

I haven't tried, so I can't comment on quality. I guess though these attachments won't give results as good as a true zoom lens would produce and the images are likely to suffer from distortion, chromatic aberration etc.

2. eugbug profile image96

The smartphone I mentioned, the Lumia 520, only has a 5MP camera, but as you can see, the image quality is perfectly adequate for web use, even when the image is displayed full size and fills the screen. The Lumia 520 is a Windows phone and while it is a perfectly good at doing everything, not all apps are available for it. Windows phones never really took off and many developers didn't put their resources into developing apps for phones which have a small market share compared to Android.

If you Google "best pocket compact camera", you should come up with some reviews of what's the best choice of cameras. The Techradar, PCMag and Whatdigitalcamera websites have some good reviews. If you use a smartphone for photos, because of its wide angle lens, it can stretch perspective. So taking close shots of subjects can distort them. E.g. this box looks trapezoidal
            https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13516583.jpg

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I bought a Samsung Galaxy 3 at Walmart today just for taking photos. Am charging it now and am anxious to see how the photos will come out.  I can transfer them to my computer via a USB connector, but the phone has no sim card.  However, it  has an 8 gig internal memory.  Very scant on directions but I at least figured out how to charge it.

If it works, I'll be thrilled...would like to know though, how many photos it can hold.  I researched digital cameras and could not come up with anything I thought would hold up or take good photos for the price I wanted to pay.

I can add a sim card to this phone but are you saying that will allow me to save more photos?  I'm a bit confused.

If this works out, it will be the perfect answer because it's a prepaid phone...so I don't need to pay for a monthly plan or anything.  Don't need the phone or internet part...just the camera.  Great idea...thanks!

I think that model number should be SIII or S3? Anyway according to the specs, it has an 8MP camera and either 16,32 or 64 GB of internal memory. You can store images on the phone's internal memory or alternatively add a micro SD external storage card with a capacity of upto 64GB for storage. I've stored about 2000 photos, equivalent to about 8 GB of data so far on the 16GB card of my old smartphone. Images on my phone are 5MP, so even if you're photos are 8MP resolution, you should be able to store over 1000 photos on 8GB of memory. If you download lots of apps, they'll take up space on the phone's memory, reducing space for photos, so it's a good idea to add a micro SD card. Change the settings so that the camera always takes the highest resolution pictures. You can always reduce resolution and compress images later if necessary when they're downloaded.
            The SIM card is only for connecting to a cell network plus you can optionally store your phone contacts on it. I'm not sure what the situation is in the States, but if as you say the phone is prepaid, it's probably tied to a network so it either comes with a new SIM card and number, or you can use an older SIM card from the same network in the phone. Alternatively it may be SIM free and not tied to a network. Usually a phone tied to a network is less expensive and subsidised, but you can only use it on their network and another network's SIM card won't work in it. Some, but not all smartphones tend now to use the phone's memory for contact storage. If you have a really old standard sized SIM with an existing telephone number you would like to use, you may need to get a micro or nano type SIM card as a replacement. Just make sure your contacts are copied to the newer SIM before the old SIM becomes disabled by the network provider.

Remember that I am only using this for the camera!  I don't want it for the cell phone, although I think I can use it for WIFI if I'm in a public area where it is provided without tying into a network.  This is an ATT phone that I bought at Walmart.  Takes photos AND videos AND has sound AND allows me to transfer photos to my computer.  It says I can add a sim card for up to 128 gb but it already has 8, so I may not need more.  This is mostly for vacation pics.  I'm wondering, though, if I can also transfer videos to my computer as well?  Having SO much fun!

Yes, you can use it on WIFI. Using the Skype or Whatsapp apps, you can also make free calls to contacts who also have those apps installed and are connected to WIFI or have their mobilie data connection turned on.
                You can also transfer videos to your computer.
                Some, but not all Samsung devices support the "USB On-The-Go" specification, allowing attachment of a mouse, flash drive, keyboard, web camera or other peripheral to the phone or tablet. You simply plug a special cable with a male micro USB plug on one end into your device (into the socket where the charger cable goes). The other end of the cable has a female, USB "A" connector (the large style socket like you have on a computer or notebook). This gives you a standard sized socket for plugging in peripherals. You can also get flash memory sticks where all this technology is built into a single device. These have a micro USB plug and the device is useful for example for storing data or transferring data between a smartphone and tablet.
                For some reason, smartphone manufacturers insist on building the clear filter over the lens almost flush with the body of the phone. I can't understand why they don't incorporate some form of sliding cover. So the result is the filter can get covered with crap when the phone is laid down on a surface. Dust and grime on the lens will result in blurry smudges on images. So it's wise to get an "Otterbox" or folio type phone case which will recess the lens and give it some protection.

If all of this is true, then why do people need to buy data plans unless they also want internet access?  If you can get free internet access via WIFI, why would you need all of that and if you already have another phone you use, why would you need it?

I was able to upload photos and videos, but was unable to open the videos.  Also, how much memory does a video take up on a phone and how long of a video can you take?  If I can figure out how to transfer video to my computer and then to a flash drive for storage, that would be great!  I don't think I'm going to need a sim card...the space for it is SO tiny, I think I'd drop it!

I will need a holder of some sort to make it easier to hold and I believe there's a thin plastic cover you can use over the screen to protect it...will have to look into that.

I know I'm a dinosaur when it comes to smart phones but have to say that this is an amazing device.

Glad you're enjoying your device! Smartphones are great and can do so much. However it's still a dilemna for me whether to bring my smartphone with me when I'm out and about. The trend originally was for phones to get smaller and more compact. Now with the bigger screens they are more cumbersome. I like the way I can slip my older phone into a trousers pocket. It's easier for some of you ladies who carry a handbag or whatever for storing all your gear!
                    Anyway as regards WIFI, you can either use that for Internet access in your home or connect to a public WIFI service (typically available in stores, public buildings, restaurants etc). If you're out of range of WIFI, you can start making use of the quota of mobile data allocated to you in your plan. Just like voice calls, this data is received from the local cell tranceiver (which could be on a mast, tall building, in an advertising sign etc). Again I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here, fibre broadband packages usually allow unlimitless data download per month, whereas mobile (cell) phone plans only allow 1 to 5 GB of data download per month. This is fine for light Internet use, but looking at lots of YouTube videos would quickly use up data!
                    A 2 minute video at 720p (720 line) can use up to 150MB of storage space, so if you intend to store lots of these and don't have much space on your computer, an external hard drive would be a good idea. I'm not sure how long videos can be (will search and find out), but probably at least ten minutes. Individual video files can be stitched together in a movie making package.
                    What is the extension of the video files? You may need to download and install a CODEC on your computer. This is a piece of software which can code/decode various video files, allowing e.g. Picasa or Windows Media Player to play the files. Alternative you can install a player such as VLC Media Player which includes its own CODECS.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've thought about it, it's a great idea, and I took a lot of photos when I first started writing here on HP; some really good ones too, original images for Hubs.

2. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 6 years ago

I don't need to submit photos to a free site.  Too many of mine have been stolen already.

3. Diana Majors profile image74
    Diana Majorsposted 6 years ago

What a great idea!  Do you get to see the websites they are used on?  It would be cool to be able to see your own photo in use on someone's site!

Yes, if you do a Google image search, it shows all the sites on which the image is used. It would be nice if Pixabay would allow us to put our names/branding on images, but they want users of images if possible to attribute Pixabay. This sounds a bit mean since we don't get anything out of it (although the user of an image can make a PayPal donation to our account), however the site does have to be paid for in order that it can continue to be a source of public domain images.

Unfortunately, Pixibay is seen as one of the more spammy photo sites by the algoritm. It is also one of the younger ones.

I didn't know that -  if you do an image search on Google, you get a lot of results from Pixabay so it can't be too bad?

I generally don't link to Pixabay when I use a photo from there, if they are seen as spammy then maybe that's just as well.

4. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

I submit photos to several paid stock photo sites and also to two free Stock photo sites that allow Adsense ( freerangestock.com and stockvault.net). I earn more with Freerangestock than with any of the other stock sites.

Freerangestock is also a good source of high quality free-to-use photos that can be used commercially under a Royalty-Free licence - so they're fine for use on HP. Stockvault doesn't allow commercial use, so traffic (and Adsense earnings) is much smaller.

I have a Hub on submitting to Freerangestock if anyone cares to look for it in my profile.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

good info. i might give freerange stock  a try.

I haven't had much success with users downloading my images from microstock, royalty free, image sites. Also a lot of images were rejected due to noise in images (camera was 2001 vintage), so my new fancy Nikon SLR might have a better CCD and give better results. I'll take a look at those sites you mention.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

You have stirred enough guilt to make me feel I should  do something like this, given how many CC images I consume, lol.

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 6 years ago

I just forego the picture and write text about the subject if one is not available. Since I love reading books, I do not need every blog post to have photos.  Also, when writing on my own blog I might include a link to a book on Amazon, since that is another way to illustrate a subject if you do not have  photo taken by yourself.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

On this site, using Amazon ads purely for the images that they provide can get your page unfeatured.

Amazon ads need to be entirely related to the subject matter and used on pages where people have  a clear desire to buy.

Just to clarify, using an Amazon image as an image in your Hub is not "illegal".  Amazon allows you to use the photo from a product if you are linking to it.   HubPages won't penalise you for it either.

I find this useful - for instance, on a Hub about flamenco shoes, I used a large photo of a shoe on Amazon, and added text with arrows pointing out the good features of the shoe.  Then I added a link to the shoe on Amazon in the text.

It should go without saying that you MUST choose an Amazon product very carefully, so it's relevant and useful to the person reading your Hub, of course.

Lately I've been having problems saving product images from Amazon.  I've had to search the net for them and when I find the same product, use its photo instead of theirs.  This is something new, and I don't know why it's happening.  Much more work.  Image does not come up on desktop from Amazon even when I click "save image as" or Picmonkey won't allow me to edit it.

2. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was referring more to my blog. I do not even update much here, but if you read my post, you will see I am very photo driven. Also, I take all of my own pictures for my hubs, and believe in this a lot.

7. SweetiePie profile image83

Also, once I finally purchased my mid-range camera, I noticed I wanted to take even more photographs than ever. These are around the three hundred dollar range, but comes in handy when I make my YouTube videos as well. The zoom is amazing, and I have captured some lovely images of the moon.

8. Sustainable Sue profile image97
    Sustainable Sueposted 6 years ago

I use an Olympus Stylus 500, but I bought it about 10 years ago. I don't know what Olympus is selling now. It uses a rechargeable battery and a "picture card," both of which the camera comes with. I bought an extra of each.

The extra battery I use when I'm out photographing and I run out of juice. I just quickly replace it wherever I am and then charge up the dead one when I get home. The smaller picture card that came with the camera (256 mgb) I keep on hand for long photo shoots, when I run out of space on the larger one (2 gb). That seldom happens, because I erase all photos from the card when I upload to my computer. I really like this camera and use it all the time.

9. SweetiePie profile image83

I do still have some hubs where the only photo is of the Amazon product because these were book reviews. I have some hubs with no pictures at all because these are text driven.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)