Deleting Hubs that are not Featured.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (38 posts)
  1. jeffzod profile image56
    jeffzodposted 6 years ago

Is it a wise move to delete published Hubs that are not Featured?

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not unless you plan to publish them elsewhere. I would be more inclined to work on them, so that they are featured.

jeffzodposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have worked on an article and it has not been featured after editing it several times.

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
          Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you provide us we a copy of the link to your hub, the one that was included on the email you received, I am sure that you will get some help here to get it featured.

ok,thanks let me check the link and post.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
          CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Try studyng your featured hubs and see how they differ from unfeatured ones. You could also look at the hubs of writers with high hubber scores and see if you can figure out "the trick of the trade."  Also review HPs directives for Quality Hubs and see if that gives an idea as to why your hubs are not getting featured.

2. diana1000 profile image61
    diana1000posted 6 years ago

Please what is the difference between featured and published?
    thank you diana harvey

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

A hub that is featured will appear on your profile, has been indexed by Google and thus is visible to the general public.  It is also eligible to be moved to a niche site at some point.  It has passed the Quality Assessment Program.

A hub that has been published is one that you can place on social networking sites to get views but is not indexed on Google and so cannot be seen by the general public.  It has not passed Quality Assessment.

2. jeffzod profile image56

A featured hub appears on your profile and the public can be able to view it while published articles can not be viewed by the public, only you can view published articles.

3. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

I guess (not sure though) it affects your Hubber score. Because it has a hubscore even if rejected by the QAP.
    As marketing merit says, best is to work on them and get it featured. Some Hubbers say even If not featured, Google has indexed their unfeatured hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Google is very unlikely to index an UnFeatured Hub because it has a "No Follow" tag attached to it - which tells Google and other search engines to ignore it.

That's why UnFeatured Hubs have very little chance of ever making any income.

4. LiliMarlene profile image85
    LiliMarleneposted 6 years ago

jeffzod, you can change this in your profile settings. There is a field asking whether you want only featured hubs get published or all hubs you wrote. One simple click makes the change! smile

Hey Lili, thanks.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

It's true you can show your unFeatured Hubs on your profile (I do), but that won't do you much good, because they are still invisible to Google due to the "no follow" tag, and you won't get much traffic without Google.

5. profile image0

Hey Jeffzod, Did the quality team (in any of the emails) give the reason to not feature that hub?

yes, they said the article was too promotional.I had added a few products and a few links .I have fixed the issues yet the hub remains unfeatured.

6. profile image0

Have you removed all the links or kept some? The limit is two. You can always cite the remaining resources without linking in a capsule or a call out.
    You might want to check this:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

The limit is two TO THE SAME WEBSITE.  So you could have 150 links in one Hub, if each link was to a different website. 

Have another read of my Basic Rules Hub (you'll find it on the slider on my profile) just so you're absolutely clear of the rules.

Thanks for the advice.It was insightful.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I think that's been changed because the team recently wrote to me that they would prefer as few links as possible to outside sources because they want readers to remain on the HP site.  Yes, you can have only two to the same source, but 150 to a variety of sources?   I don't think so.

7. jeffzod profile image56
    jeffzodposted 6 years ago

Thank you guys for the advice.The article was overly promotional. I have come to learn that I need to use links to other sites sparingly write quality hubs that will attract readership.

1. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Only on HubPages.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

You also have to take care with Titles.  I took a quick look at your profile page and saw that several of your titles were not really searchable.  Just saying something like "Crock Pot Chicken" isn't going to get people to read your articles.  Something enticing such as "Crock Pot Chicken Recipes That Will Make Your Mouth Water" is much more interesting.  This is just an example, there are many combinations of words you can use that will enhance titles and make the more searchable.

Thanks a lot

8. Craypoe profile image86
    Craypoeposted 6 years ago

An article also won't be featured if it is too short. Anything less than 1,000 words won't cut it. So I don't know if that might be one of your issues.

It is not normally possible for recipes to achieve a high word count.What would be your advice on writing recipes?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Don't just write a recipe.  Tell a story with it that involves something interesting that led you to create the recipe.  Otherwise it will just look like one you copied from somewhere...which anybody can do.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
        CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have done a few recipe hubs and even had them moved to the niche site , delishably. My suggestion is to add more text. Write a little essay about the ingredients.

For instance, I did a hub that featured pumpkin and walnuts. I began with a capsule "10 Reasons to Love Pumpkin" and the next capsule did the same for walnuts. I did a hub about Bread Pudding and I began with a history of bread pudding. I also added recipes for suggested toppings. I think the toppings made the hub stand out from all the other recipes for bread pudding.

I have also seen hubbers introduce their recipes with a little personal story about why their family loves the dish, a little about their visit to the country known for that dish. (For instance, write a little about Spain if you recipe is for paella.) Maybe add some info on how to use the leftovers to create a new dish.

Do something to make your recipe hub unique. In marketing, the call it "added value."

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight.I will definitely do that.

9. LiliMarlene profile image85
    LiliMarleneposted 6 years ago

Not recommendable, because it could be that the readers like your hub nevertheless. To show the not featured articles on your profile you have to check your account settings. With one click you can activate that all hubs - no matter whether featured or not - will be shown on your profile. Good luck!

10. bbanks27 profile image86
    bbanks27posted 6 years ago

It depends. You can always unpublish a hub and then edit it. After you edit it, try submitting it to be published again. If that doesn't work, I delete mine and rewrite them.

11. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Never unpublish a Hub to edit or improve it.  Always leave it published.

12. profile image0

Hey Marisa, why is unpublishing not a good option?

It's not that important if it's a new Hub - but if the Hub has been published for a while, and is Featured, then it matters.

As you know, we get most of our traffic from Google, so we need our Hubs to rank highly on the Google search results.   There are several things that help improve a Hub's reputation, and one of those is the length of time it's been published.   

If you unpublish a Hub for too long, Google will assume it's gone and will delete it from the results.  Then when you publish it again, Google treats it as a new Hub and it starts at the bottom of the pile again.

Marisa how often does Google review the published or unpublished hubs?Will Google rank the hub highly again after it treats it like a new hub?

Not necessarily, because it has lost age.

Ok, thanks for your useful insights.It's always a pleasure reading your comments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)