Should I remove all call out capsules?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

I've heard they slow traffic down although I have a few hubs with call outs that are doing well, so I'm not sure what to do.

I hear some say they're fine and others that they are traffic killers. Would appreciate some advice from the staff, thank you.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
      Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hm, why would they slow traffic? They're effective ways to emphasize key points; I don't see why the would detriment traffic when used well.

Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure honestly, the only thing I can think of is how Google reads them since they're separate from the subtitles.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You only need to remove those that you are using in place of subcategory titles.  The others are fine.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

Chris, I discussed the misuse of callout capsules for titles in detail in my hub "20-Step Checklist of Hub Writing Success Strategies" that you can find in my profile listing. Scroll down to step 17. That will answer your question. Callout capsules do not slow down traffic. The problem is that they are not related to the following text capsule.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your 20-step article is a very good hub with useful guidelines on presenting some rich content for the readers.
      Using Call out capsule is also a very nice technique of presenting appealing short information about your thoughts and ideas wherever necessary in the article to make your approach more understandable for the viewers. I like those capsules, even though I don't use them for sub-titles.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ven, you understood it well and you're using the callout capsules correctly.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78
        CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I like to use the callout capsules for a relevant quote or for a fun fact. I did use therm once for titles because it was the best way to label a section that included several capsules. This hub got accepted to a niche site right after it was published, so it appears to be OK to use the callout box in this way. I still had titles on me capsules.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98

I use callout capsules in the same way. They are great for quotes and general descriptions of major sections. Just keep in mind how Google misses the data. Staff made it clear that since the HTML programming is not tied in with the text capsule, Google will not be able to use the data for featured snippets. Your hub was accepted because, as you said, you also placed subtitles on the text capsules.

It also depends on when you published. Before discovering the problem, editors had favored using callout capsules for subtitles. But as I said, callout capsules are great for the other purposes, including making important text stand out in a section.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Thanks for this information about google. It is new to me. I might use the call out capsule in place of a photo when I need to break up text and I can't come up with a suitable picture. I use them rarely.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Now that HP doesn't want half-width capsules anymore,  use a callout instead. I used to use half width text capsules for sidebars.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
            DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! 
            Now that they have eliminated the sidebar option for making or emphasizing a point, it makes sense to use callouts for that purpose, separating the text therein, as it does, from the body text.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image91

I did read your comment but I also found comments stating how they're no longer effective at traffic growth, so I'm a bit perplexed about them.

I side with you on this issue, but I want to be 100 percent on it, which is why I'm asking the staff.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Being "no longer effective at traffic growth" means, "not doing anything to increase traffic".   That's completely different to actively slowing down traffic, don't you think?

However, whoever said that was talking through his or her hat.   Callout capsules never did a thing to increase traffic.  Ever.  They are helpful to assist readers find their way around a Hub, and that's all they've ever done. 

At one point, HubPages thought they looked more appealing (especially on mobile) than ordinary headings, and therefore enticed readers to stay longer on the Hub.  Now they realise that Google doesn't read them as headings, just as normal text - which is a problem, because headings are important. 

You can still use callout capsules for emphasis, just don't use them instead of headings.

Good reply. I also agree with it.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98

Chris, I learned what I said from the staff and simply reiterated it in my hub. Once one do the editors removed all my callout capsules where I had subtitles in them and put the subtitles in the proper text capsule. I asked why and they explained what I said in my hub.

To make it clear for those who didn't read it, the callout capsule is separate from the text capsule in the html programming. So Google can't relate the subtitle to the text, therefore losing some search traffic in case someone searches for the topic of that text capsule.

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

A have a lot of traffic to pages with callout capsules. They work well enough. You still need to exercise care with H2 headers, though. Stuffing them with keywords does more harm than good.

Absolutely agree about keyword stuffing and several other factors that I'm sure are far worse indictments than call out capsules.

I too have had success using them, which is why I don't want to get rid of them.

The only thing to remember does not use them for headings and sub-headings and do not put too many callout capsules.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)