jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Email

1. sallybea profile image99
    sallybeaposted 3 months ago

Could someone please check to see if the email facility on HubPages is working!  I would like to send a private email to a writer here but cannot seem to get the little orange envelope to open as an email.  I tested my own and that does not work either.  The person I want to contact does not seem to have a 'send an email' function on their pages either.  Can both of these functions be disabled?

1. Marie Flint profile image91
      Marie Flintposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Sally, when no Fan Mail is functional, I recommend that you open one of the writer's articles and when that box comes up with the article name, just delete that subject; put in the topic you wish to discuss, write the message (yes, you have to go through Captcha), and send it. The intended writer will get it.

Hopefully whatever glitch you are experiencing will correct itself in a day or two.

Blessings!

sallybeaposted 3 months agoin reply to this

There appears to be no facility on the page to email him.  I think it has been disabled.

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 3 months ago

I don't know if it can be disabled, Sally, but I went to your profile. Clicked on "Fan Mail" and when the box opened there was an option on the right to "Send Sally an Email." I clicked on that and a box came up to construct an email. So it does seem to work. No orange envelope though.

1. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 3 months agoin reply to this

The orange envelope is located on a Hub article on the left. I tried it at one of Sally's articles and opens my email in MS Outlook, so works.

You were lucky, I can see the orange envelope try to open up at the bottom of the page but it does not complete the process.  The person I am trying to contact does not even have a contact author.  My fan mail does not give me an email either.  Most odd.  I think there must be a facility to shut off emails.

1. Will Apse profile image93
          Will Apseposted 3 months agoin reply to this

You can disable all emails in your account settings.

https://hubpages.com/my/profile/account

Thanks, Will, I thought it might be something like that.  I wonder if the person realises that if you disable that feature, not even a HubPages writer cannot contact him via the Fanmail HubPages email as well?  I can understand that people might not want every Tom Dick and Harry contacting them but this is someone I have known for years and we actually respect one other and get on:)   I don't think this is a very good situation.  It might actually be beneficial for one writer to be able to contact one another occasionally.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
              Christy Kirwanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Those options are turned on by default, so authors have to intentionally turn them off for them not to show up. While we agree this feature is useful (which is why it's part of the default settings) we also want authors to retain control of if and how they are contacted.

Thanks, Christy, so if you turn off an email via the envelope or the link to send an email to Sally, you also do the same for fan mail!  I would be very wary about doing that if I thought someone wanted to contact me with a book deal:)

3. Will Apse profile image93
    Will Apseposted 3 months ago

Why does Sally have an orange envelope and we don't?

working