jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)

Humor writing

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 weeks ago

I write on a variety of subjects in a variety of topics.  Some of my articles are humor or satire.
    When it comes to submitting  hubs to niche sites I am conflicted.  Should I submit my totally silly article about getting better gas mileage to Axleaddict or Letterpile?
    Should I suggest my article about using  garden gnomes for self defese to Dengarden or elsewhere?
    In other words, if my humor article has a connect to another subject area will it fit in with the serious subject niche sites?

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Good question!

2. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I've been confused about (this) for a long time. When I first came on HP, the Gender and Relationships category worked for a lot of my work, but until I asked the HP Team, did I start gearing up my work that I knew ahead of time would fit at the right place.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Hi Rochelle,

First, don't stress too hard about where you submit your article. If we think a different site is a better fit, we will pass the piece along to the editor of that site.

As a few have mentioned here, for humor writing, it's best to submit to LetterPile since it's considered creative writing. The reasoning here is that readers are coming to our other sites with serious requests for information because they need an answer to a question or are trying to solve a problem. Humor, therefore, will be unsatisfying and unhelpful to those readers. On the other hand, a reader browsing for creative works is likely to be both amused and satisfied by this kind of content. Hope that makes sense!

2. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 4 weeks ago

Good question Rochelle. I'd submit them to Axeladdict and Dengarden and see what happens.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image90
      Sustainable Sueposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I would too. And I'd like to know the results, since I've also got a totally silly hub I haven't submitted yet.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 4 weeks ago

I disagree with Jodah; I'd put them both in letterpile.  The other two are intended, seems to me, for people searching for help, and a comedic article, however funny or enjoyable, doesn't fit that definition.

1. RGraf profile image83
      RGrafposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

That makes sense

4. pen promulgates profile image79
    pen promulgatesposted 4 weeks ago

From what I have known is, even if you submit to a different vertical site, the editors put it where it should belong!

5. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago

As Pen says, don't worry about it too much.   The editors decide where the Hub will end up, not you!  I've twice submitted a Hub to one niche site, only to receive an email saying "thanks for your submission, your Hub is suitable to be transferred to a niche site but we think it's a better fit for ......"   So just submit and see what happens!

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90

OK... Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the input !
    I have also had submitted articles changed to another niche, so I guess it's nothing to  worry about, as long as they notice it.

7. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 4 weeks ago

Um, I just checked, and I published a humorous piece under Hub Pages 'entertainment and media' but that's not a niche site, so maybe does not apply to PO question. Anyway, humor is entertainment right? So is there a niche site for that?

1. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

snakeslane, I wish that I knew. I have always been a nervous wreck when It is time to put a hub into the right category.
      Would HP catch it if WE DID put a hub in the wrong place?

8. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago

On the main site, all humor Hubs belong here:

HubPages»   Books, Literature, and Writing»  Commercial & Creative Writing»   Creative Writing»  Humor Writing

...therefore they should be submitted to LetterPile if you are submitting to a niche site.

All of the other subject areas on HubPages are designed for Hubs that offer practical advice or information about a subject.

it's not a disaster if you put them in the wrong category, but it does mean your Hub is not likely to come up in the "Related Hubs" section, and it also means it's less likely to be noticed and moved to a niche site without you submitting it.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

This is a good advice for an all-time application by any hubber.
      Thanks, Marisa, for it.

2. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, looks like my humor Hub is not where it belongs lol.

9. helenstuart profile image78
    helenstuartposted 4 weeks ago

If I had valuable, little-known knowledge of a subject, such as water hoses, I would definitely put it in the water hose category, hoping those that are rabidly serious about their hoses could survive some tongue-in-cheek comments about the subject. (I for one would appreciate them, even down-right hilarity). It is always hard to categorize  one's work as "funny", even if you know it is. And I don't see why a bit of amusement should make valuable water hose information go into a "pile" with a lot of potentially unfunny Hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

I agree, Helen, but the original question was where to put humor articles, i.e. articles that are written mainly to entertain.   If you're writing an article that's basically informative, then the article belongs in the subject category, even if you've added a humorous twist to it. It comes down to the main purpose of the article, I think.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Thank you Cristy.

working