Editing problem

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I've been going through all my hubs, removing the sidebars and come across a strange bug that appears to be getting worse.

I open the edit screen, then edit a text capsule.  Close observation tells me it is a little small, or at least the font seems small.  But when I try to click on a space, say to add a new word, nothing happens.  The "X" in the corner doesn't work, and if the "save" button is pushed I'm back to the edit hub screen, but the entire text of that capsule has disappeared.  The capsule remains, but nothing in it.

I can block a word (or more), but then can't do anything with it (delete, make a link, etc.) and can't get it unblocked either.  And the same thing with the "x" and "save".

The only way out I've found is to save the capsule, deleting all the text when it does, and close the browser tab.  The new "save" isn't saved that way, and if I re-open the edict screen I can try again.  If memory serves, the "save" button didn't used to delete all the text, and I could try again, but now it's taking all the text out when I save the capsule.  So far, no disasters, but it IS scary - these are old hubs and I can't quote what each capsule has in it.  If it truly does disappear I've got a problem.

I'm using Chrome for a browser, and have found the problem through several sites (don't remember which ones, except I'm pretty sure DenGarden was one of them.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've been experiencing some issues this week also; which only seem to be an issue when I use IE (Firefox seems fine) - the top menu bar has been frozen and no matter where I click, nothing would open.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

For those of you who have experienced this issue, could you let me know what article you were trying to edit when this happened? Engineers are trying to track this issue down.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Christy, I was working on the following hub making some changes when it happened to me.

https://hubpages.com/community/hubpages-strategy-tips

See my post in this thread with the details of what happened. It happened two days ago (Sept 27th). I was working on the capsule for item number 6 in my hub.

As I mentioned, the content of the text capsule never actually got lost. After I ended the edit session, it magically reappeared in the published hub. It only looked like the capsule became empty while I was still in edit mode.

The issue resolved itself very quickly. I wasn't worried to try it again since I have a backup anyway. So I was able to complete my editing when I went back in a while later.

My browser is Safari Ver 11 (11604.1.38.1.7) and the OS is ElCapitan (Version 10.11.6) on a Mac.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Really sorry, Christy!  I didn't record which hubs gave the problem, but there were a dozen or more.  And now I've finished the job and not editing any more.

If it helps any, I'm pretty sure that it only happened when I used the "edit" button on the stat screen to go directly to the edit mode as opening the hub.  And, although I can't be positive now, I think that exiting edit and then using the edit button on the hub did NOT show the problem.  Sure wish I'd paid more attention!  I'll remember in the future - you guys do such a good job and I so seldom have trouble that I forgot to keep records of it.

3. weezyschannel profile image87
        weezyschannelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's happening on all of my articles... I even try to add a photo capsule and  the photo will show and I can actually write the title of what I'm putting a picture of, but I cannot write the source, the URL or anything in the comments.  I cannot click save; sometimes I can click on the X to exit out and sometimes the photo will stay but I still can't type anything at all and it's not just the photo capsule; It's anything that I try to edit. I've also noticed that the pencil icon for editing the text box is red( just to clarify),  the box is unchecked that says to display this capsule.

I have tried the Chrome browser, Safari, dolphin and Puffin and none of them work... Sometimes I can change the picture but I can't click the save button and I have to exit out and the capsule I end up deleting because I can't do anything with it.

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

If you say which browser you are using and which sites are the problem, someone can have a look.

Should have known better - thanks, Will.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I had a similar problem yesterday, but I thought it was fixed as it only happened to me once.

It was very similar to what you describe. I wanted to change just a few words. But then all the text vanished. I wanted to X out of the capsule in order to save my text, but that didn't work. So I tried the save button since I knew I had the entire hub archived anyway (since I write all my hubs offline).

Just as you experienced, the save button was the only way to get out of the capsule. And as expected, the text was no longer there for that particular capsule.

The funny thing is, that after I ended the edit session and looked at the hub outside of edit, the text was there. It never really was lost. So I wonder if the same happened with you in the end. Was the mysterious capsule's content back again after getting out of edit?

I was using Safari on a Mac, so if it is the same problem, it's not related to just one type of browser.

Yes, that's the problem.  I never tried the "done editing" button for fear it would save that way, instead just closing the browser tab.  Nice to know that it won't permanently save that "change", though!

4. Marsei profile image91
    Marseiposted 6 years ago

Same here, been using Foxfire.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)