jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Niche Site Suggestion

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 weeks ago

Hello, Team!

I just had a "positively brilliant" idea!  lol

It has long been said, and made known that Hub Pages is not particularly poetry friendly; that poems do better on poetry sites.

Well, now--since your new niche sites stand alone, and appear (to G) to be unrelated to HP itself, then, why not, instead of losing authors, give poets a niche site, where poetry can do better, because it can then be a poetry site "outside" of the HP domain...and rank up as such a site, itself.

Now, isn't that just the best idea to come down the pike in this decade?!  big_smile

1. RJ Schwartz profile image96
      RJ Schwartzposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Many people in the past faced a similar problem, but a solution came from outside the HP community - www.creativeexiles.com
      A site focused on poetry mainly, but also other forms of creative writing.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

To be more correct, the solution came from inside the HubPages community - the original idea was from John Hansen

Did you manage to make progress on monetizing the site?

Do you think you'll lose members now that HubPages has effectively duplicated your idea?

1. RJ Schwartz profile image96
          RJ Schwartzposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

to be even more correct, the inspiration was from John, but after that it was all outside of HP - writers on TCE have a great deal more expressive freedom than HP allows, no scoring system exists, and the site is populated with written content (there is a separate forum section, yes, but it's not a focal point of the site, nor is Q/A).  There is also no newsfeed, no "friending" or "following" either 

the site is not monetized, nor were any attempts made to do so - only one ad, no pop-ups, or diversions from content

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
            Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

I know the site is "outside HubPages", but all the founding members came from inside HubPages.

It's unfortunate you haven't found a way to monetize

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago

They have almost done that already, by making LetterPile exclusively Creative Writing.

HubPages is a business - if they are going to go to all the expense of creating and maintaining a website, it needs to have a good level of return.  Unfortunately, even dedicated poetry sites are not particularly profitable.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
      DzyMsLizzyposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Right--I get it Marisa.
      I posted that last night after being at a particularly frustrating meeting.  lol

And I just this morning found out that yes, they have 'virtually' done that When I read my email this morning, I found that my most recently published post, (an old poem of mine from back in 1987), had been moved to "Letter Pile," and it is under a poetry sub-section.
      I'm stoked!  wink

working