Keyword Research

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit dim here.

I know what it *means* to do keyword research. I understand the basics of it. I know how important keywords are, and I know how to use them effectively in a white hat manner.

However, I'm not having success, so I think I'm approaching the situation wrong. What are you all looking for when you research your keywords (specifically). What types of numbers are you seeking?

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It's not a science. You have to decide that through trial and error. Pick some keywords at different search levels and try to get traffic and make $$$.

It can take months, if not years to learn how to do it well. Because there's no single way to be effective.

After you've worked your onsite keywords and SEO, then you go to offsite. And that's usually about having more websites and blogs, and lots more writing. It's about getting links from other similar but not competitive sites. (You just contact the website and ask if they'll exchange links.)

3. Kudlit profile image60
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

Yes I agree that keyword research is crucial. What I like about hubpages is that it has a very high authority in the eyes of the search engines.

Try this,
    1)find a keyphrase that has less than 1000 competing targeted pages (search for the keyword phrase "in quotes"). It's not that easy if you're just starting to try to do it but you'll get the hang of it with practice.
    2) Create a hub using that keyword phrase in the title and the URL of your hub.
    3) search for that keyword phrase after 24 hours and you should see your hub in page 1 or 2 of the search engines.

Believe me there are still many profitable keyword phrases with very little competition. You just have to learn how to find them.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Kudlit, I'm confused. Where in the AdWords tool does it tell you exactly how many competing pages/sites there are for a specific keyword? I've yet to find it and that's one of the areas where I'm feeling frustrated.

I have a couple of hubs that should do well, based on the graphic display of competition. One that I never expected to do well is thriving in Google lol

I'm going to try this out today with something specific. Tweak until I get it right and then do what you said.

Nelle, I find so much of what you say around here to be *really* encouraging. Truly. I want you to know that several times when I've felt as though I'm just being dense, you've had words that have made me feel a lot less thick. I appreciate it smile

1. Kudlit profile image60
      Kudlitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The adwords keyword tool won't tell. You'll have to use Google to check. I know eat a lot of time but it's fun when you discover a profitable keyword.

You use the adword keyword tool to get ideas about what people are searching for and how many searches.

TIP: make sure you use Exact match type so you'll have a better picture of how much a particular keyword phrase is being searched. I draw the line at 300/month.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't Wordtracker's G Trends tool tell you how manyompeting sites?

2. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Meaning that you don't write for a topic that is searched less than 300 times a month?

Where do you find this information?  Do you 'add key word' or is there a better way?

5. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Okay, one more question: Is it a good idea to put a misspelling in the url or title of a hub IF the search volume for the misspelled search term has a reasonable search volume but low competition?

ETA: Or should I just use tags?

6. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I think I found a topic that will work brilliantly, Kudlit! I'll know in a couple of days how right I was, though.

Problem is the search volume is throwing me off. In order to get less competition you're going to get lower search volume. So I'm looking in the thousands for volume and average or low competition, right?

7. Kudlit profile image60

Low search volume is OK. Just build more hubs. It'll add up.

The adwords keyword tool will also show you the cost per click in adsense. That'll give you a good idea if the keyword is worth your time.

I won't touch a keyword phrase with less than $1 CPC in adwords.

8. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I'm having trouble finding many of those (over $1) on subjects that interest me. I can't write what I don't know... It's getting tougher lol

I have a couple of subjects I can do that pay well though smile

9. Kudlit profile image60

Good. Start with those.

I don't know anything about most of what I write about. big_smile

I just repackage the information. I'm still adding value to the Internet, I think. I'm making useful information more accessible.

10. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Where do you get the initial idea from though if you don't know anything about the subject?

Again, I'm sorry if I'm being dense. I am not having a starting point to look for those keywords.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you read Paul Edmondson's hubs? He is a staff member at hubpages and his advise is useful. I have really boosted my visitors by applying his advise. The one you might like is-

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Find-a-Niche

Mostly I just write what I have good material for- often from ebooks. I read around the subject and in maybe two weeks get 2 or 3 good pages and 2 or 3 not so good. Also I look out for anything weird in google search- if I've never heard of a popular search term I check it out.

11. Kudlit profile image60

This should light some bulbs. Using the adwords keyword suggstion tool search for:

how to stop

Google will tell you what people are searching for that includes that phrase. Now you know where I got my hubpage ideas. smile

You don't have to use that phrase. You can use question phrases like:

what's the most
    what's the cheapest
    where can i buy
    what's the best

You get the idea. For content, you research.

12. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Oh my gosh... I can't believe I didn't think of that! Kudlit, you're a genius! Thank you, thank you!

13. Kudlit profile image60

Any time AE.

14. dwilliamson profile image61
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

I am pretty dense when it comes to keywords too. I have been writing children's stories for the last 17 years and am getting a google payout about 3 times per year. I have never tried using keywords but I do want to try for this challenge. I seriously want to make money here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know that placing meta tags in webpages is vital and I know that blogging gives you good solid backlinks. I just don't quite grasp the concept of keywords though.

15. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Thanks Will! Reading it now, then finishing Borden and then Lincoln (I hope). If I get any others done today it will be a miracle lol

16. caymanhost profile image60
    caymanhostposted 14 years ago

Hi EveryDayMiracles,

I've just posted a hub about keyword research that, judging by your questions, you will find helpful. It is basically a quick and easy guide on how to actually choose keywords with high search volume and low competition. Some SEO's might have a fit because the method isn't deadly accurate, but it will be good enough a lot of the time.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Keyword-Research-A-Simple-Guide

A lot of people talk about the hows and whys but never really give any methodology. Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

17. carpesomediem profile image61
    carpesomediemposted 14 years ago

When I utilize keywords, I only use them sparingly throughout my hubs.  I do not want a reader to realize I am doing it.  However, lately, I've been experimenting with new ways of using keywords within my titles, sub-titles and hubs in a way that the reader will see them and remember exactly what the hub is supposed to be about.  So far, I've seen this method work in relation to what I'm earning via AdSense whether the keywords are highly searched or not.

18. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

A lightbulb just lit up for me!

no ... really!

I was googling some things earlier and noticed that I always went for hits on the first one or two pages, only drilling down further if I found nothing useful. I think I can safely assume others google the same way. As such, you need to use your keywords to hit that first or second page - preferably the first.

So ... Use Google Adwords to find items with a high search volume AND a decent pay avg pay out, then enter the phrase in google and see how many hits you get. If you see too many, check another keyword as you will start out at the bottom of that pile - on page 338.

My gosh ... I might not be stupid after all.

I'm off to experiment. smile

19. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I don't do keyword research until after I've picked a topic.  That is, I don't decide what to write about based on how much a given phrase pays out, or how many people are searching for it, or how many results there are.  I pick topics because they're interesting to me, and then write the best hub I can write on that subject (doing a little sleuthing to see what particular phrases people use to search for the content, and including those in the text).  It's worked great for me; my AdSense earnings pay my rent every month, and I don't feel so slimy.

20. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

"I won't touch a keyword phrase with less than $1 CPC in adwords."

How do you figure out the $$ CPC?

1. Inspirepub profile image71
      Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Google will tell you:

Google External Keyword Tool

Use the drop-down menu called "choose columns to be displayed" to choose "Estimated Avg CPC".

This is the price the advertiser will pay - you will get less than half of that amount per click - but it gives you a bit of a guide.

Jenny

21. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

At first I just wrote about anything but now I deff research the value of the keyword. I wrote a good hub that got a lot of clicks but all at 3 cents. But I did another hub that probably wasn't as popular a topic but a single click was way over the $.

I have read some really great pieces of writing on here that most likely earn nothing. Ok a lot are only here to express themselves in both their poems and writing and you have my admiration. Me, I am here to write and earn money plus learn along the way, I enjoy it but I also enjoy seeing my hubs make money. Taking some time to research searchable phrases and keywords does work.

Whether you are here for the enjoyment or the dollar I wish you well, writing is a joy !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)