jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Will a "reasons you should buy this game" article be OK?

1. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 4 months ago

Hi, everyone. I get most of my views and earnings from LevelSkip and almost all of my video game articles have been moved there. I was thinking of writing one for a really awesome game I'm playing now that goes "Reasons you should buy (this game)", however, I'm a bit worried it might be rejected for being overly promotional. I don't really want it to be an advertisement for the game, I just think it's relatively unknown and would help people decide whether to get it or not. What do you think? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Luke Holm profile image94
    Luke Holmposted 4 months ago

I say give it a shot. You are the video game blogger on this site, as far as I'm concerned. You didn't create the game, so I think it would be strange if they shut down your article for being overly promotional. Has it happened to you before? I thought that only happens when you have too many Amazon links/ads.

poppyrposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Hi, Luke! Nah it hasn't happened to me before but I haven't tried it before. I saw someone on the forums the other day whose article was rejected, but that was an article about a book he'd written.

3. Luke Holm profile image94
    Luke Holmposted 4 months ago

Poppyr, that's what I'm saying. Unless it's a product you own, or you have wayyy too many Amazon links, you should be fine.

1. satomko profile image95
      satomkoposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Agreed.  I don't see why the hub, as you've described it, should be a problem at all.

4. Ivan Hernandez profile image90
    Ivan Hernandezposted 4 months ago

poppyr, Im on board with what you said. On Cyber Monday itself, my Levelskip article got almost 800 views. It was met with criticism, as many people on Reddit called this article a "Buzzfeed" article. That's right, I promoted the levelskip article on reddit.

Yup, that’s how you get more views. Reddit’s a good place to go and if you find the right audience you can get a nice boost, as I’m sure you know.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image98
      EricFarmer8xposted 4 months agoin reply to this

What subreddit(s) did you post to if you don't mind me asking. Some subreddits have such intimidating posting guidelines and rules I am afraid to post any of my work.

Haha the post I made was actually frozen for apparently being in the wrong subreddit, but a couple of people saw it and clicked it first smile Reddit is super strict with posting guidelines isn’t it

Oh sorry Eric, I thought you were asking me yikes

2. Ivan Hernandez profile image90
        Ivan Hernandezposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Gaming. 17.2 million subscribers in here.

5. EricFarmer8x profile image98
    EricFarmer8xposted 4 months ago

This sounds like a great idea to me. It is something I have thought of doing in the future myself. I am also mostly targeting LevelSkip as I love to write about video games as well.

I imagine as long as you are not promoting your own game and the article doesn't sound like you only want to sell the game you should be fine. I recently went over the LevelSkip editorial guidelines as I want more of my stuff to be on there. It seems as long as you offer some kind of personal perspective they are fine with what you write.

You are great at doing this considering the great work you already have on LevelSkip. You should be fine.

Thanks Eric big_smile

6. TeriSilver profile image98
    TeriSilverposted 4 months ago

I wrote a hub about why trapeze lovers should see a particular documentary,  noted in the title, and I have an Amazon capsule. It's been published for months; no problems.  So ... why not?

Thanks, Teri smile

7. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 months ago

It's only overly promotional if you're promoting yourself. Being a genuinely enthusiastic fan is ok

Great! Thank you, Marisa big_smile

working