jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Help with an article URL

1. Rafa Baxa profile image89
    Rafa Baxaposted 7 weeks ago

I just published this article, but I am having some trouble with the url.

Link: https://hubpages.com/technology/8-Great … -With-News

If you go to the article, you'll see that it's about 9 websites.

I created the article before I had entirely written it out, so I had it as draft and didn't publish it. The topic then was "8 great websites...", but then I decided to add one more app and changed the topic to "9 great websites...". But now, even after changing the topic and publishing it, the url remains as it was when it was in draft. Shouldn't it be changed?

I understand the problem if the topic was changed as an edit after the article was published, but why not change the url if the article wasn't published at all previously.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

You can resolve this problem by deleting the article and then republishing it later so that the URL matches...however, very few people look at URLs, so if they are somehow related to your topic, even though they are not an exact match, an incorrect URL won't be a problem.

2. Marketing Merit profile image96
      Marketing Meritposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

As others have said, you can't retrospectively change the URL. Next time, suggest you don't include the number. Also, you shouldn't include 'stop' words in your URL. If you don't know what these are, then just Google them.
      Hope this helps!

3. greenmind profile image96
      greenmindposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

You could also just keep the title and description "8 Great Websites" and add a "bonus" or "honorable mention" at the end to describe the 9th. That way you won't lose whatever Google traction you may have gained with the current title/description.

2. Jan Saints profile image88
    Jan Saintsposted 7 weeks ago

URLs cannot be changed after saving them or after clicking 'Next' to add capsules! If you really want to see '9' in the URL, you can delete the article and start afresh. But URLs do not matter a lot. You can just change the title and your article is good before the eyes of Google and readers!

3. Titia profile image95
    Titiaposted 7 weeks ago

What the others say. The url is not that important. I have many hubs where the url doesn't match the title completely anymore. Nobody is looking at url, they're looking at titles and descriptions.

I wouldn't waste the time to delete and rewrite it. Use that  time to write new hubs.

4. Rafa Baxa profile image89

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Yes, the url won’t be noticeable much in most cases... but I thought in this case the url would seem weird, since they are numbers.

I just assumed it’ll change when I change the title since it wasn’t published then.

I’d have to take care next time, I guess...

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Unfortunately you assumed wrong.  Once you accept the URL at the beginning, it can't be changed.

That's why it's always a good idea NOT to accept the auto-completed URL.  Change it to something shorter and simpler.

1. Titia profile image95
        Titiaposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Are you saying it's possible to not accept the url when you write the title of a hub?

1. Marketing Merit profile image96
          Marketing Meritposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes. Providing the URL is not already in use.

5. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 7 weeks ago

I always use something very general, so if the autosuggest was "8 great websites with news" I might change it to "great news websites". When I change the title (and I almost always change the title until I find the one that gets the most traffic) the URL will still be appropriate.

6. tony55 profile image86
    tony55posted 7 weeks ago

You can't change the URL once saved.The best bet is to delete the article and start again.However if you have lots of views leave it alone.

7. Rafa Baxa profile image89

I am planning on keeping the url for this. Choosing a more general url next time, seems to be the better way to go.

Thanks for all the help!

working