jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

mentioning brand names and products

1. mata311 profile image89
    mata311posted 6 weeks ago

I need a little help on the guidelines of mentioning specific products in an article.  I am new at this and I don't really get how that works.

For example, if I'm writing an article about cooking and it requires a crock pot do I mention or can I mention the brand I use at home?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 weeks ago

As long as you are not saying anything disparaging about it, you are legally safe in mentioning it.

mata311posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Oh ok, one more question if you don't mind.

and what about the Amazon link  thing. how does that work?

1. greenmind profile image96
        greenmindposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

You can insert an Amazon capsule the same way you do text and images. It's one of the options in the editor thingy on the left margin when you're in editing mode. From there you just copy and paste the url of the Amazon page into the box and the item will show up.
        A word of caution: You should always demonstrate your own experience with the product you're offering. If you don't, your article may not be featured. And always add details about the product in the "description" box.
        If someone goes to amazon from your article and buys the item, or buys anything while they're there, you'll get anywhere from 8 to 10% of the sale. If you have a lot of hubs that are successfully referring people to Amazon purchases, your share can add up quickly. But it takes TIME, as in years, for an article to really pick up steam and start selling.

3. stephenteacher profile image72
    stephenteacherposted 6 weeks ago

Reviews do not have to be positive. Lousy products and movies are panned all the time. Not sure why people think would be illegal. it would not even be illegal or legal. It would be a civil matter. If your free speech infringes on someone, they have a right to sue. But you certainly have a right to write an article letting people know how bad a product or experience was. If HUB only allows positive reviews, that's their business. It does not make it illegal.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I don't think Psycheskinner meant it was illegal to give a bad review - just that you could get into legal hot water if you use a brand image or brand name in the article.   

Firstly, if the manufacturer feels the review is slanderous, they could sue.

Secondly, most logos, product images and promotional material are copyrighted or trade marked.  In practice, if you use them in a positive review, the manufacturer won't complain about you using them - it's free advertising.  But if you say something negative, you're likely to get a stern lawyer's email threatening to sue if you don't remove them.

mata311posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

THIS is the gist of my question!!!  Thank you

2. Bedbugabscond profile image99
      Bedbugabscondposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I agree with mata. The important thing is that what you are saying about the product is truthful. If the truth is that a brand or product doesn't meet expected standards, you have the freedom to speak up. Brands know that, which is why they hire so many people for brand image.

working