Writing Hub Titles and Sub-Titles For US and Non-US Audiences

1. eugbug profile image98
    eugbugposted 6 weeks ago

What's the best way of doing this to handle regional variations in naming things (and also spelling)? For instance if I name an article "How to Replace a Tap Washer", I attract traffic from British English speakers, but potentially lose traffic from readers searching for "How to Replace a Faucet Washer". Should I go for the latter because of the larger audience who would search for this term? Should I write the title as "How to Replace a Faucet (Tap) Washer" or similar, including both nouns in the title? What about text later in the article, should I place the alternative spelling in brackets?

2. Glenn Stok profile image99
    Glenn Stokposted 6 weeks ago

You just brought up an interesting and important question.

I just tested this on both google.co.uk and google.com and the results were the same...

I only got search results for "faucet washer" if I used that search, and I only got results for "tap washer" if I used that search. I was hoping that the British Google site would translate for me, and visa versa. But neither Google site seemed to know that the two expressions are the same thing.  That's unfortunate.

Therefore I would agree that you put both terms in the title, but not in parenthesis. I would use the word "or" as follows:  "How to Replace a Washer in a Faucet or Tap"

working