jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

When is it acceptable to link out to my own book?

1. Austin Hackney profile image90
    Austin Hackneyposted 5 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13819270.jpg
    Dear Hubbers,

In what circumstances, if any, is it acceptable on HubPages to link out from an article to a book I have written? Taken as given the book is “on topic”, relevant to the article in question, and offers the reader real and added value?

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for your time, gentle folks. And may I also take this opportunity to wish you all the peace and happiness of the festive season.

[Art: Albert Edelfelt - Hyviä ystäviä (1881) Public Domain via Creative Commons]

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago

Basically when another neutral/objective person would probably link to it as the best source, it is worth a try

1. GetitScene profile image81
      GetitSceneposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I agree. If a reader who has 'no dog in this fight' would want the link, then it's probably link-worthy.

Austin Hackneyposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Thank you.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks ago

It doesn't matter whether it's utterly relevant to the Hub - if you reveal that it's your own book, it's likely to get snipped, because you're not allowed to self-promote.

What that means, in practice, is that you can include a hyperlink to the book in your text (because you can just mention the title and don't have to give the author's name, which would be a giveaway). 

However you can't put the book in an Amazon capsule or use an Amazon link, because then the rules require you to explain why you personally recommend the book.  That would require you to tell a lie, because if you reveal you wrote it, the link would be snipped.  So you'd have to write a glowing review as if you were a reader.

Thank you.

It's generous of you to reply so fully. But I wonder if I might ask for clarification?

If self-promotion is not allowed here, is the suggestion to include a hyperlink which doesn't mention my name an injunction to break the rules by stealth, or does that rule not apply in such circumstances?

Should I understand that an Amazon link to a book I have written, even concealed in the text, would be against the rules, but a link to Barnes & Noble would not?

Thank you in advance for your time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes, it would be breaking the rules by stealth.  Whether that sits well with your conscience is up to you!

An Amazon link would automatically become an affiliate link and would therefore be subject to extra scrutiny.

Thank you.

The message seems clear: it is never within the rules to promote my own book on HubPages. But there are stealthy methods to try until I am caught.

In good conscience, therefore, I shall give it miss!

Thank you once more for your help.

working