jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)

Hotelscombined affiliate program

1. idanbraun profile image46
    idanbraunposted 2 months ago

Can I add Hotelscombined affiliate links to an article?

1. theraggededge profile image100
      theraggededgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this

No, it's against Terms of Service.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Are you sure?  When did that change?

There are SOME affliiate links which aren't permitted (Clickbank is a good example), and the link has to add value to the reader, but I thought reputable links were still permitted.

"Purely promotional offers and articles designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your articles identified as overly promotional:

including more than 2 links to any one domain
          keyword stuffed: repeatedly emphasizes words or phrases (often times with bold or italics)
          short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
          solely promotes a product, site, program, organization, or service
          excessive Amazon Capsules
          including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your article

Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.)."

I'm aware of that section, however what that prohibits is Hubs which are designed SOLELY to promote those links.   If you've written a useful article and you are recommending the product you're linking to, it is permitted, following the same rules as for Amazon (which is an affiliate link too, of course).

Remember, there is a box to tick when you're creating a link, asking you to indicate whether it's an affiliate link (so it can be marked "no follow").  If it wasn't allowed, why would that even be mentioned?

2. theraggededge profile image100
    theraggededgeposted 2 months ago

Well he can try to get it through. I'll make a bet it will be rejected or snipped big_smile

I'd say there's a good chance it will be.  However the fact remains that there's nothing in the rules to say it's not permitted, if the guidelines are followed.

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
        galleryofgraceposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Marissa -You of all people know that self promotion is not allowed.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
          psycheskinnerposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Nevertheless she is correct that outside affiliate links are not blanket-banned.  They are assessed on a case by case basis and some are permitted.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

My question is this:  If you use them, how do you get paid?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
              psycheskinnerposted 2 months agoin reply to this

The same way you get paid by any affiliate link, via their program.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98

Yes, of course I know SELF-promotion is not allowed.

Adding an affiliate link to a company (not your own) is not SELF-promotion.

As Psycheskinner says, affiliate links are not blanket-banned. A few dubious affiliate companies (like Clickbank) are blacklisted.  Affiliate links that lead to spammy single-product websites aren't allowed either. But a useful link to a product that's affiliated through a reputable merchant or network (like ShareASale, for instance), is allowed.

As for getting paid - you get paid either by the supplier, if you're a direct affiliate, or by the network if it's through a network.   The affiliate provider doesn't need to have any relationship with HubPages because they don't need to do anything on HubPages itself.   The special affiliate code enables the merchant to identify and track the reader arriving at their website.

2. Ivan Hernandez profile image92
      Ivan Hernandezposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hello, theraggededge. How are you? I noticed that you have a hubberscore of 100!! Meanwhile, I have a 94, even with 26 articles.

All good here smile And look at you with a 94! Well done.

1. Ivan Hernandez profile image92
          Ivan Hernandezposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I've made a few changes to the donald Trump Article. I know promotion is illegal, but could someone please read it?

working