Friends With China?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 15 years ago

In the US, We are allies with many countries. China is one of our biggest allies. Here is something I do not understand. We liberate countries like Iraq where they have no democracy. Yet, In China, they control child birth with "mandatory abortion". Is this a democracy? How did China become one of our biggest allies with policies like this one? Abortion as population control. Words do not describe the lack of humanity these actions. So, why are we friends with China?

1. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

China is America's banker.  Are you allies with your creditors?

1. onthewriteside profile image61
        onthewritesideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL....so true!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because Wal Mart says we have to be... really China is an economic trade partner.  Like it or not, without substandard China goods balancing things out, the free markets would skyrocket.

Ah, valid point my friend.  Very wise.

3. Yu-Huang Shang Ti profile image60
      Yu-Huang Shang Tiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

“A democracy cannot be both ignorant and free” When you fail to demonstrate adequate concern for the freedom of others, you embolden and empower those who want to take yours away.

4. onthewriteside profile image61

Because we owe them a BOATLOAD of money!

2. marinealways24 profile image60

Lol So, Since China has all the money, they can do whatever they want. I get it now.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

or somethimes also the opposite reaction occurs..
      no money ie who gives a shit, not gonna get any poorer attitude

what gets me is and I learned this when I was doing some research for one of my hubs is many of the poorer countries are propped up by the wealthier countries ,(with aid, protection)which gives them leverage for their resources ie oil , diamonds,coffee,drugs! hmmm ,dodgy and exploitive in my opinion.

3. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 15 years ago

I believe there's a saying that goes something like: 'Choose your enemies wisely'.

marinealways24posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is also a saying that says to fear no one. I'm not saying we should go to war. I'm simply asking why we are allies with someone that uses abortion for population control. Is money the only reason we are allies?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nope, fear IS the reason you are allies.

I wouldn't be surprised, yet that would obviously not be the only reason we are allies.

2. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not even sure that you are allies - trading partners, maybe. To me, anyway, allies implies military co-operation.

Good question, though - Personally, I think that the US has some questionable policies, too. So do the UK, France and Greece, for example - it is a grey area, with no clear line.

I believe we are allies and slaves to China considering the trillions of $$$ we just borrowed from them.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81

Slaves - a different matter, and probably very close to the truth. If China calls in the debts, expect the repo men anytime soon.

Not sure about the answer - Eaglekiwi is probably along the right lines with the money thing - big business is not known for its moral scruples.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
              livewithrichardposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If China calls in the debt, which will not happen, we would just print the money.  China will not call in the debt because we are a huge trading partner and they do not want to lose that.

How is it that China, with just over 1.3 billion people and a communist government, has the money to lend to their trading partners?

They have a bigger pool from which to take the money.  Sooner or later the people of China are going to have full access to information like most other countries do (almost full) and when that happens...

1. Sufidreamer profile image81

'Tis true - as fast as governments try to censor things, hackers seem to be one step ahead.

2. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.'

Yep, different saying, but essentially the same meaning.

2. onthewriteside profile image61

OOPS!  sorry for the repeat!  didn't see this post yet!

3. onthewriteside profile image61

Or "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"?

4. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 15 years ago

I really think its to do with money ( since China has always been monitored)
    China mass produces
    Companies move offshore to make more profit
    Countries import to make more money via consumers
    Money ,Money, Money
    Must be Funny
    In a Rich Mans World smile

It is a rich mans world.

For now it is

5. marinealways24 profile image60

Gotta love the power of money.

6. Mrvoodoo profile image58

I don't claim to be a great historian and am far from knowledgeable in complex political affairs.  But as I'm sure you are aware China has always been known as the 'sleeping giant' and it is generally believed that now is the time that this sleeping giant will awake.

China more than any other country has always reminded me of that 'ying-yang' (if that's what it's called) the black and white swirly thing.  So much beauty, yet so much horror.

China's role on the world stage I should imagine will be immense in the years to come, whether that's to the benefit or detriment of the rest of us, who knows...

7. Mrvoodoo profile image58

* or maybe it's just me that's scared of them, I did get my heart broken by a Chinese girl once, so maybe that explains this ^ big_smile

awww MrV look on the bright side , bet ya can make damn good sushi now though smile

Hey, she was Chinese, not Japanese, lol, but I guess Chinese people eat Sushi too.  And Pleeasssseee don't start me off about fish again! or meat, I had nightmares about little 'meathead' last night, don't call your dog that, seriously, I think my nightmare might have been an omen, it wasn't pretty. big_smile

oops my bad I actually like Asian dishes alot! smile I make a not bad Thai soup too which isnt bad for a Kiwi Chef ,right now Im trying Greek ,well lookin at lamb n cous cous n shoot cant spell it ,help Surfi that to die for Greek Dressing..mmmm...
          well this isnt a food thread so 'oops' again
          wasnt the 'meathead' musafa mastiff, that gave you the heebie geebies either was probably that big bowl of ice-cream ya pigged out on ,lol

China they need land !!  ok Im not Politically minded , my greatest career has/is Parenting so my logical mind says

China wants and need land( badly),so if I were them and needed some real estate, Id look for some place with resources and nice neighbours...smile
          food for thought ( couldnt resist)

8. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 15 years ago

Thanks surfi smile ,and yep marine well said
    I remember a couple of years my teenage sons saying how they felt China was building since their technology was developing very fast, in many ways and sometimes people forget that there whole culture is not as laid back as the West tends to be.
    They call us lazy and fat. I love the freedom to be however I want to be , but I do see where they are coming from and why they make those assumptions.

Children for example are driven hard to succeed in education to make their country strong and superior!( Nationalism)
    Western culture emphasises "Self Achievement" more than supporting stronger communities etc and Patriotsim reigns.

China certainly has the numbers ( check out their armies training on youtube sometime!) not something that woud normally interest me , but I have to admit when you do the same search for any Western Country Army ,they are not as sharp or as determined looking  and usually demonstate a brass band and lack lustre soldiers.
    Dont get me wrong
    I hate war , it never determines who is right ,only who is left.
    I just hope we remove our pride and never take certain freedoms for granted...smile

9. onthewriteside profile image61
    onthewritesideposted 15 years ago

The US owes China approximately 2.5 TRILLION dollars.  Under the Bush administration, the government did try to buy down $400 billion of that debt by sending 800 billion in Ameros to China.  Does anyone know if the US under Oblahblah is still planning on pursuing the American Union?

1. Yu-Huang Shang Ti profile image60
      Yu-Huang Shang Tiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The American economy has become as dependent on import of Chinese products as it has on Saudi oil. As with Saudi oil, it only makes sense to see that near exclusive dependence on import of Chinese products (no matter how cheap), is not a healthy habit, and that America should in both cases start looking for alternate sources for such products. And it further makes sense to ensure that such sources should, as far as possible, not originate from, and not financially benefit, countries that are openly or furtively working to undermine democracy and open society.

10. debris profile image78
    debrisposted 15 years ago

Things are never as cut and dry as the main stream media makes it appear.  Please remember that many of the dictators in power were helped along by us because they were enemies of our enemies.  A lot of the politics you see are smoke and mirrors to cover up the true reason.  We have used people for many years to destabilize countries. 

Look into our use of cuban rebels to attempt to overthrow Fidel.  There are many that believe that US Jackyls have helped along the protests in Iran.  Many would refute this but wouldn't it make sense?  If we could do it in our past then I wouldn't think we won't do it now.  Our president wouldn't admit to it either because this would be highly classified and risk us going to war.  I urge everyone to think beyond what the mainstream media feeds you.

Remember, most news agencies are owned by large corporations like GE that need a happy public to keep buying their products.  Sit back and enjoy the show.

-Debris

11. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

But still I wouldn't call China America's friend.

1. onthewriteside profile image61

Me either, RK.  However "enemy" may be a little harsh too.  I guess I think of it as two opposing philosophies trying desperately to peacefully co-exist.  Kind of like the Highlander who has other immortal friends, but in the end..."there can be only one".

Absolutely concur.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)