DEBATE OF LOGIC

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (73 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

When we make decisions, we make them based on individual logic. Are somes logic more rational than anothers sense of logic? Who and how is to decide if a majority logic is logical?

1. anjalichugh profile image67
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing is right or wrong....only perception makes it so. smile

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would have to disagree and say that something like "rape" or "murder" is pretty wrong. It would be perceived as wrong by the majority, so the majority would see it as wrong making it wrong, right?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
          Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right.  Crimes with victims are easy to judge, but what about victimless crimes?

Example of a victimless crime please.

Possession of marijuana... just as an example.

Ahhh you are a bud smoker huh lol

I would say something like that is decided on the politicians/congress majority logic. If 40% wants to legalize and 60% wants it to remain illegal, they would have the majority vote or majority logic. Is this close or was you looking for a different example?

sounds good to me! smile

Thanks for the question. They should use a sane logic and legalize. lol

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60

Of course the majority logic is not correct.  Most of what the popular consensus would believe is logic is just brought about by propoganda of some sort.

2. Hawkesdream profile image64
    Hawkesdreamposted 14 years ago

Good question, is it logical to think that others are being rational when you think that it is totally illogical to think that way.  One mans meat is another mans poison so what is logical for one is not necessarily logical for another.

My thoughts exactly. lol. Our logic may agree on the topic of logic. lol

3. Hawkesdream profile image64
    Hawkesdreamposted 14 years ago

Seriously though, some peoples logic beggars belief. I asked someone why the drink and drive. I pointed out that their livelihood would be taken away if they are caught.. the response was:-
    I have been doing this for years, and haven't been caught!
    He was caught.2 year ban and £280 fine, asked him how he felt..answer, whats done is done! unbelievable where is the logic in that?

The logic may have been under the influence. lol On a serious note, I have no idea why some have a different sense of logic. It is very interesting to me.

4. marinealways24 profile image58

Maybe our individual logic is how we each individually analyze thoughts to reach a conclusion.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think logic should be the same for everyone, but the difference is that some people have more and/or more accurate information to factor into their logic - hence, seemingly different logic.

How could logic ever be the same for anyone much less everyone on every subject? Please explain. I see this as impossible. lol Maybe majority logic can be reached on some subjects, yet majority is not everyone.

2. Jodi Hoeksel profile image60
      Jodi Hoekselposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see a web in your logic. No?

I feel logic is presence....

6. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

hears an example of my girlfriends logic...i say"honey,would you like to go out to dinner?"she says"I'M NOT MY MOTHER!!!".good thing shes not bigger than me...

I will politely say that women seem to have a "unique" sense of logic. lol

Who is the child in your picture? He doesn't look very happy.

1. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

marine,you ain't gonna believe this BUT,that is me at age five i swear.one day I'll wright a hub on why i was so unhappy(its a little complicated)

7. Lisa HW profile image62

If everyone were using equal information to reach a logical conclusion, the conclusion should be the same; because logic is a process, and if someone uses it correctly, it's the same as any other mathematical process.

Example:  On a question like, "Should I quit my job?"...   Suppose there are 20 pieces of critical information needed to come to the most logical decision.

If I ask 100 people the question I'll get x number saying "yes" and x number saying "no".

Suppose I add in the information that I have a mortgage, or that, instead, I am independently and vastly wealthy.  The numbers of yes's and no's would change.   What if I add that I'm 25?  How about if I add that I'm 85?  Suppose I add that I have 10 kids.  Suppose I add that x number are under 16.  What if, instead, I have 10 kids over 40 years old?  What if I change the question to "should I quit this month or next year?"

The person who had knowledge of all the critical pieces of information could reach a logical conclusion, provided that person was good at using logic.  Two people equally skilled at using logic would reach the same conclusion.  (Remember that logic is independent of people's personal preferences, emotions, experiences, etc.)

With only the initial question nobody would have sufficient information to come up with a solid, logical, answer; so they'd have to just go by their own leanings/preferences.

8. marinealways24 profile image58

"If everyone were using equal information to reach a logical conclusion, the conclusion should be the same"

Please explain. No one individual "analyzes" information the same to reach logic and unless there is a written formula to follow which everyone agrees on, their logic may never meet.

1. Jodi Hoeksel profile image60

Exactly. We each are at our own level of logic. What would be the sence in logic if we all where the same? Each is at their own level we learn, accept, choose, recieve as chosen to move more logic... Then continues and on and on, etc.

What do think?

I agree. I don't think there is a "set answer". If there is, maybe it will prove everyone can come together on the same level of logic.

2. marinealways24 profile image58

In somes logic, they may refuse to learn. Some may logically think they know everything.

I hear that.. To me it is the fundamental movement of life... I feel even someone whom could be percieved as having great logic could benifit as well from someone with lessor. I see us moving on planes. I would Love to see the greater majority in divine presence pervading, yet we still bounce off and have opportunities to learn, always.. Point being if I completely knew what to expect from my life every morning I woke... could get boring for sure.

9. Lisa HW profile image62

Saying that the process of logic (when used optimally) is always the same is not the same as saying people are all the same.  If a bunch of people who are all very different, and who all think very differently, were able to use the same level of logic - then the conclusion should turn out to be the same.  That's the thing about logic:  It removes individual differences in thinking, emotions, experiences, etc. and instead is a process.  Not everyone is able to separate themselves from their emotions, and not everyone has an equal skill at using logic.  Still, as far as I can tell (unless there's some really "advanced" mathematical thing I'm not aware of), if a bunch of different people use the same level of skill in logic they will most likely reach the same conclusion.

How would so many people get on the same level of thinking? No 2 people think entirely the same. How could 2 people have the same level of skill in logic?

1. Hawkesdream profile image64
        Hawkesdreamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One person can display different levels of logic to different circumstances. In my opinion , logical thought of any one mind is determined on life experience to a similar circumstance.

Agreed. I also believe life experience plays a huge role in individual logic. Maybe if I were to get on your logical thought process, I could truly understand your logical perception of life without actually living your life.

Now, theres an interesting concept, however, to understand my logical thought process you would have to deny your own , as your logic could or would interfere with mine.

I agree. We should do an experiment to see if I can get on your logic. lol

OK how?

Hell, I have no idea. I was hoping you would contribute that part. lol

2. marinealways24 profile image58

What topic do you believe you have a "logical" opinion related to a majority logic?

Cant do it that way! logical thinking is the whole spectrum of life..you give me a topic and then I will give a logical opinion,then we can go from there

10. Lisa HW profile image62

"In somes logic, they may refuse to learn. Some may logically think they know everything. "

Ah.. but if someone is truly logical-minded he will be more aware of all that he doesn't know than someone who is less skilled using logic.   smile

I like your thoughts, and agree.. smile

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must be a superhero at using logic skills, cuz I am very aware of all teh stuff iodnt know!!! I have to say, the politics and religion forums woudl be waaaaaay boring if everyone had/used the same logic.

Agreed. If everyone was on the same logic, we would never have debate.

3. marinealways24 profile image58

Agreed. How do we know a bar for logic with everyone having a different sense of logic?

11. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Logic level varies from person to person due to the differences of  analytical abilities. The best logic can be decided based on the facts that  provide more realistic evidence to support it.

I partly agree. On another view, what is "fact" to one may not believed as "fact" to the other. Example: The Bible.

1. profile image0

or evoloution, or if fish is meat.....facts get fuzzy with illogical people...

12. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

What seems logical to people is based on their background and life experience.  People in India may think, and if I'm putting words in the mouth of my Indian friends I apologize, that reincarnation in logical where other may not see it that way.  Americans think it is logical for everyone to have the right to vote; others don't.
    What people think is logical doesn't have a lot to do with the facts.

13. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

From Wikkipedia...
    "Logic, from the Greek λογική (logiké)[1] is defined by the Penguin Enclyclopedia to be "The formal systematic study of the principles of valid inference and correct reasoning".["

the problem is..who decides what correct reasoning is?

The politicians and lawyers of couse. lol

1. profile image0

OH!! silly me, I should have known...

Bet it didn't list that in wikipedia! lol

1. profile image0

How would I know? I copied the definition and moved on. Im not actualy all that concerned about if people see me as logical. I know I am not!!!

Everyone is logical in their own logic. lol

1. profile image0

this has been fun. I gots to go cook dinner. Have a good time..ill be back on tuesday!!

14. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Some say logic is a thing that can be learned...that there are even classes that you can take that lay out basic arguments and fallacies.  Some say that the study of logic goes back to the ancient philosophers even.  Is this logical to think?  wink

Maybe it's logical to think if one thinks using logic. lol Maybe not so logical when one uses emotions or irrationality.

15. profile image62
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

It would be logical to think that logic is logical but not to all.  smile
    Logic is based more on experience and vision, a willingness to be dispassionate when viewing an issue.

lol nice name! Is it logical to assume you try to use logic rather than irrationality of an emotional decision?

16. marinealways24 profile image58

hmmm, then again, it's not really logical for me to assume anything. lol My logic was vacant causing an irrational assumption. lol

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marine...lol...I'm writing in between working on a graphic design...  I'd never think that of you! wink  Your statement was logical.

Ah, Thanks Lita! What if my statement was only logical to you and no one else providing everyone has a different sense of ligic? lol

1. profile image0

Yeah, concerning 'ligic,' there might be a problem, haha.

Dammit!!! I tried to edit and change that before you posted back! lol

17. marinealways24 profile image58

Yet, the assumption could be based on my logical idea of your logic providing logic for my assumption.

1. profile image0

Could be, wink.  But I doubt it!

18. marinealways24 profile image58

Just for you Lita, I changed it back to Ligic since you beat me to the punch. lol

1. profile image0

smile  Yeah, you have to be quick with ligic, you know...lol

lol Still trying to find my logic in my ligic. It's not very fair with the "I" being right beside the "O" lol. Then again, this is not a very logical excuse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)