Bernie Madoff gets 150 years in prison!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (56 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

His lawyer was trying to get him off with 12 years in jail. The judge certainly did the right thing in this case. I just feel terrible for his wife....

1. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The judge was probably one of his former clients....LOL!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yet the board of Citibank, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae et al go free. Go figure.........

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One thing we've all learned is that there is no figuring.    hmm

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen. I guess Madoff's mistake was that he didn't make it into "too big to fail" territory...

3. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on, Mark.

3. TrinaLynne profile image69
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I saw this early this morning. Hey, the judge felt he deserved more than 12 years. lol I do feel sorry for his family but not too much for him. lol

4. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

serves him right!

too much greed and no shame

5. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

His wife will be just fine. I guarantee it.  He couldn't have been the warmest man, but he was an equal opportunity swindler. I'll give him that. As far as passing judgement... I will leave it at that.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

not enough. I don't know if I believe that Ruth Madoff knew nothing or not. But she is keeping $2.5 million. I'd like her better if she kept almost nothing and gave it to one of the penniless victims. Lived in a simple ranch somewhere nameless.

I hope Bernie, doesn't get to serve time in a Club Fed, minimum security. He should do very hard tiime.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

LOL writeside! You're probably right about that one.

Nelle - With Ruth, I wasn't necessarily thinking about the money, although you are right on point. I just meant that I feel sorry for her because she is essentially losing her husband.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Just woke up (lol was up late last night) and heard the news. The maximum sentence was the best that could be done. It definitely sends a message to future greedy men (or women!) that attempt to run a horrific scheme like this. Either way, Mr. Madoff will perish in prison.

Sadly, I'm sure this day still doesn't seem as satisfactory as many, if not all, of his victims dreamed it would be.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Not that I'm against prison for this guy, but I have a proposed way of dealing with some of these people:  First, instead of paying for them in prison, set them up in a welfare apartment in a typical low-income neighborhood.   Take and sell anything he owns, and set up a fund toward aiming to pay some people some part of what was lost.  Then stick some leg irons on him, have him go around and give lectures (about what happened, what made him have no conscience, how to prevent getting scammed, etc.); and send proceeds to the fund.  Then have him write books - same thing, proceeds to the fund.  The whole rest of his life would be devoted to aiming to pay into the fund, while he would left living on whatever it is welfare people get each month.  If he could start up a legitimate business somehow, fine, let him.  Proceeds would go to the fund.   Maybe aim to start paying the people most severely hurt first (or something like that).  The wife could either go with him (that's what she gets for being married to him), or else she could be given a few thousand dollars to set herself up in her place, and figure it out from there.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea!

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Did he kill anybody?

Not literally anyway. He basically swindled thousands of individuals and companies out of their money with a gigantic Ponzi scheme. Let's put it this way -- the judge ordered him to forfeit $171 billion dollars in assets.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's possible he did cause deaths.

7. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

So other parties were completely innocent, and did not display any sign of greed at all lol

Poor Bernie...

1. profile image0

No, they just didn't get caught. Rather, they weren't tagged as the fall guy.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Two suicides have been directly attributed to the fraud scheme.

We don't know about the women who have lost things like health insurance and haven't been able to afford mammograms. All kinds of things happen when your wiped out financially. Americans don't have much of a social safety net.

Two deaths. Countless lives ruined.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why people took part in those schemes? Aren't THEY first responsible for their lives?

1. profile image0

To a certain extent. Sometimes people can be pushed over the edge.

2. lrohner profile image68

People were investing their money (savings, pensions, etc.) into his company. He was lying to them, telling them that they were making great returns, when he was really out using their money for his own purposes. They had no idea what was really going on.

Here's Wikipedia's definition of a Ponzi scheme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

1. Misha profile image62

I bet the majority of them had, consciously or not. They took the gamble and lost, pretty much like with subprime mortgages, stock bubble, etc. Greed. smile

Perhaps some of them. But the vast majority were just plain working. Absolutely they were trying to make a good return off of the money, but not necessarily for greed. I've read about quite a few who just wanted to be able to cover their retirement years. If I invest my money in a Certificate of Deposit or the stock market, does that mean I'm greedy? Or just trying to do the best I can...

1. Misha profile image62

So I take it you are not against CEOs trying to do the best they can to their retirement money, right? wink

Actually, I'm not. As long as they have earned their money legally and ethically, they'd be pretty stupid not to invest it wisely.

2. countrywomen profile image60
              countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Misha. When greed blinds one not to pursue solid research or background check then it is the individual's responsibility. We have a legal term "caveat emptor"(buyer beware) for such investments. smile

3. profile image0
          Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but they were already punished for their greed by losing everything.  I don't carry a lot of sympathy for them either, actually, which doesn't mean I wasn't glad to see Madoff prosecuted.

You sound like Tolstoy... no human being has the moral fitness to judge any other human being (Resurrection).  So Russian of you, Misha.  big_smile

9. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I doubt it was Bernie who pushed them over the edge smile

I guess I am just trying to say that I find it ridiculous to put a man behind the bars for 150 years just for money he made cheating others. Force him to return the money, possibly impose a hefty fine on him, but 150 years is something that might only be suitable for serial murderers, if at all...

I gotta beg to differ with you on this one. He didn't just "make money cheating others". He destroyed lives, and many of them.

1. Misha profile image62

Sure, and those people did not take any part in this big_smile

10. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Securities fraud is illegal. He broke the law and was sentenced to do time for it. How much anybody suffered has nothing to do with it.

I do see Misha's point a little though in the sense that people have been expecting double digit returns on their investments for over a decade, and they haven't really cared how those returns came about, the just felt entitled. Like, Just get me over 10%, I don't care how you do it.

That's not smart. People should care how they do it. Didn't anyone ask any questions at all ever? Why not? Because as long as the returns were coming in, it was fine with them. Steal it, grind up babies, who cares--just get me my 10% + return on my money.

I wish I had these kinds of terrible problems.

1. Misha profile image62

Pam, isn't it lovely to be in agreement? ♥

1. profile image0

smile Yeah. It doesn't happen much, but when it does, it's real nice.

2. lrohner profile image68

I agree that people should care how they do it. I just don't quite agree with Misha's take that these folks were particpiants that had it coming to them. Madoff was pushing his product and actively marketing it. Now, if someone came to you and said you could invest your savings with Reputable Company A and get a 10% return, or you can put it in Reputable Company B and get a 3% return, wouldn't you go with the 10%? When questioned by his investors, Madoff blatantly lied to them.

If I invested my money in a particular stock and I saw double digit returns on it, do I then hire a financial auditor to check the company out?

1. profile image0

Right, I'm with you on that.

I'm just saying that in cases of fraud there is usually some bit of collusion that makes the defrauded person keep quiet because the person feels 'in' on it. That's an important part of most scams--tapping into people's greed and making them feel too ashamed to report the fraud.

So he defrauded people and he should go to jail--It's against the law.

But the other side is, think, you know? People were kind of on this crazy greed roller coaster for years. Lots of people in the financial community knew Madoff was up to something but they turned the other way, including the SEC. Anyone who checked around a bit would have quickly hit SOMEONE who would have said, "Uh, this guy--I think he's doing something weird." But no one bothered to check.

I don't say they "deserved it," I'm just saying people were expecting an awful lot and not watching out for themselves very well, just taking Madoff's word for it. I can't imagine investing millions with someone on the basis of us both being Jewish. I'd need a little more background than that.

1. Misha profile image62

And I am saying they did deserve it, in the sense like child playing with knife despite of what parents told him deserves to get a fingercut, to learn his lesson about cause and effect. smile

You don't sentence a knife for life for that, do you? wink

Not quite the same. The child would have had parents there watching out over the child and telling him it's not safe to play with the knife. Virtually everyone here was endorsing Madoff as a financial genius.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59

One guy lost his family's fortune and commited suicide. Madoff was a first class con man.  Everyone says it can't happen to them, but I think it might be a bit more complicated than that.

2. profile image0

Yeah but (weirdly) playing with a knife when your parents told you not to is not illegal. It's dumb but not illegal.

Fraud is illegal. Con artists break the law.

Anyone can be conned. Some cons are dumber than others--like I said, I can't imagine that I personally would have fallen for Madoff's, because I would have checked him out and quick found someone who told me that he was exactly what he was.

But there are other kinds of cons that are not so easy to spot.

Financial dealings have to have some level of honesty or what's the point? Might as well burn your money for fuel. So what he did is illegal and he deserves to go to jail. If you want to blame his victims it's nothing to me, blame away. But he does deserve jail because he's a thief.

1. Misha profile image62

Pam, myself is not a big fan of legality, seeing all those crazy laws that are around. So I don't really measure people deeds by being legal or illegal. smile

At the same time, I do agree that what he did was not an innocent play - yet giving him a basically life jail sentence for being a con artist does not get my vote. smile

11. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Karma is a bitch

12. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Wonder if there'll be similar penalties for the politicians, bankers, and advisers when it finally dawns on people that there's very little difference between what Bernie did and what the government are doing with their borrowings, bailouts, handouts, etc?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59

Good point. I don't believe so.  Bernie was, at least, honest in the end.

13. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

unofficial source in the media says they are about to charge 10 more people related to the Madoff fraud.

better than I would have expected.

14. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Also, the idea that "if I can take your money by lying then I deserve it more than you" is a sociopath's line. Why would you admire that? Why would anyone admire that kind of thinking?

15. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

it's been going on for three decades in the U.S. and I've never understood why.

I don't find sociopathy something to admire, regardless of income plus assets.

16. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yeah look at most of the trading banks

They con us every day and manipulate, yet they are within the law. (mostly)

Which make me draw the conclusion that some laws are corrupt!

17. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I actually was surprised regarding the severity of long sentence.  Yes Madoff did a very horrible thing, but what about people who murder and maime someone but receive a lighter sentences?  Madoff was a corrupt person, but 150 years seems more of a symbolic verdict to me.  Also, what irkes me is there are a few gentlemen who have molested children in our community, but they only got a few years in prison and are free to roam about.  Honestly I think a rapist or a murderer is far more deserving of 150 years than Madoff.  The best solution would have been to seize all of his funds and disperse it among the people he swindled.  Then force him to work three or four tedious jobs and come back to a boring and very bland apartment just to sleep for six hours or so.

1. profile image0

I know exactly what you mean.

It's worse than that too, because Madoff will end up in some 'gentleman's prison' with a bunch of white collar criminals and no violence or anything, while somebody who gets caught selling pot will go in with child rapists, serial killers, and mother eaters.

There's two levels of justice: One for the rich, one for the rest of us.

Madoff is in all this trouble because he honked off a bunch of rich folks.

18. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

This year, the US government intends to borrow about 50 times as Bernie collected over a 20 year period.

The only way they're going to be able to pay it back is to borrow even more money from people.
    Classic Ponzi Scheme.

Bernie got 150 years for doing this.

They shouldn't keep him in jail at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars a year. What they SHOULD do is give him Bernanke's job when his term is up. He's certainly the best qualified person for the current financial policy of the country/world. And he has the runs on the board.

At least people will then know what kind of behaviour to expect from the US treasury.

19. HealthCare Basics profile image59
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

He ripped people off, and some of his clients were rich people who should have known better. Take the money and run is wrong in my eyes........ smile

The key word here is "some". "Some" should have known better, like the Royal Bank of Scotland. But people like Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick are rich because they're good actors. We expect them also to be financial geniuses? And let's not forget that a whole lot of those that were ripped off and lost their life savings were farmers, mechanics and schoolteachers.

20. 02SmithA profile image60
    02SmithAposted 14 years ago

Madoff deserves it... but so do lots of other execs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)