what do u do in the Army? I am looking at joining in the next few months and am

1. profile image45
    shayna_morrisposted 8 years ago

what do u do in the Army? I am looking at joining in the next few months and am not sure what to do

2. northweststarr profile image76
    northweststarrposted 8 years ago

I'll take this one.  Realize when you join that there is not quick out.  It will likely take you months to process out if you can't handle it or wash out in basic training.  That being said, the military is a great career path for anyone without authority issues who has a drive to succeed and a wish to travel.  (It might be Iraq, but hey, it's overseas) Your recruiter will tell you that all you have to be able to do is run a mile in 10 1/2 minutes, but this is untrue.  To pass basic and move on to AIT as a female, you will need to run 2 miles in under 19 minutes, do 15 pushups, and 30 situps.  There's a LOT of running in Basic and no smoking or caffeine, so wean yourself away from those habits before you go in.  Most of the basic training bases that take women are in the south so if you join in the summer, be aware that you are going to be very uncomfortable.  There are a lot of MOS career paths and you'll choose at the local MEPS which way you want to go after you complete the physical evaluation. Don't settle!  Make sure you get an excellent signing bonus and money for a college education.  Don't pick an empty MOS like parachute rigging that is largely useless in the outside world.  If you need more help or have more questions for someone who's been there, contact me.  I'm happy to help.

3. jdblog profile image54
    jdblogposted 8 years ago

This is a question that you will have to answer for yourself. Personally I am a 25B you can learn more about the MOS from this website http://www.goarmy.com/JobCatList.do?red … ex&bl= although if I had it to do over I would have went Officer. The Army has programs available, that will pay for your college first and then upon graduation you begin your Army service time. This is deffinatly the way to go, as you will begin in a higher earnings bracket than you will ever acheive as an elisted soldier. I could go on and on, but deffinatly anything officer is the only way to go if you wish to serve in the US Army.

Here is a lot of great information that I doubt your recruiter bothered to inform you about. Sure they give you the site, but most are enlisted, thus they push the same poor fate on others.
    http://www.goarmy.com/home/officership/index.jsp

One last thing, if you have the aptitude scores, never accept that they can not do it from the recruiting station. I walked out three times until I got from them what I wanted, NOT what THEY wanted for me.

working