Do you love Stephen King novels as well?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

What's your favourite Stephen King book and why?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hearts in Atlantis, and I can't explain why.  It just warmed my heart.  I love his novels about kids.  My favorite short story is "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption".

1. profile image0
        L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You might want to try "The Shining" or "Children of the Corn" then, they're both about kids. "Children of the Corn" is a really freaky story, I would definitely recommend it =]

Just try not to imagine you're own kids doing the same sorts of things though...could turn very horrific very quickly =P

There are probably 2 or 3 novels of his I haven't read.  I was hard to pick just one.  Do you like Dean Koontz?

1. profile image0

I haven't, I mean I work Sundays in a book shop so I probably should some time...however; for the time being I am ignorant. Please do enlighten me =]

You might like him.  He has a book called, From the Corner of His Eye, that is worth reading.  I like it alot.

2. myra636 profile image61
            myra636posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have read all most all of his just finished Your Heart Belongs To Me. Good read makes you really think.

2. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought of why these two books were good (as of course I liked them too) and it occurred to me that book books have strong male ties (platonic!) within them.  In HIA, it's b/t Bobby Garfield and Ted and in Shawshank, b/t Andy and Red.  In both cases, both must separate from one another.

1. jenblacksheep profile image67
          jenblacksheepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Slightly off topic, but do you know what a platonic friendship originally meant?

(I know it's not really relevant here, but when you said platonic it reminded me of this little piece of unknown trivia!)

1. profile image0

It comes from the teachings of Plato...it basically means a relationship with no sex...

3. Shirley Anderson profile image70
        Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I didn't like H in A nearly as much as some of his other books.  Have to agree with that Shawshank was excellent!

I have to say that The Stand is an old favourite, along with Misery.  From more recent publishings, I'm not sure, I know that I liked Cell.

Re the short stories, my ABSOLUTE favourite of all time, The Long Walk, is actual under the Richard Bachman name.  I have read that one at least 8 times and probably will another 8.  I think it's just brilliant.

I think his scariest novel is Desperation.

1. shibashake profile image82
            shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was most freaked out by Pet Cemetery. I could not put that book down but it was freaky as hell.

2. Shortsbystephy profile image60
      Shortsbystephyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I loved Bag of Bones and Rose Madder. Two GREAT novels!

2. myra636 profile image61
    myra636posted 14 years ago

It I have all ways thought clowns wore creepy.

It is amazing!

3. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I've read at last count, 33 books by Stephen King.  I've learned a lot from him over the years.  He's got one of the best books on the craft of writing called "On Writing."  Amazing...

As far as novels are concerned, "Rose Madder" was one of my favorites as it sets itself apart as a revenge novel.  Unfortunately, not many people I know read it.

On Writing is really good.  I believe that is the first thing he wrote after his accident.

1. profile image0

I may be wrong but I think Misery was...hence the idea of someone running someone over before having a car crash of their own...

1. profile image0

Again though, I may be wrong...I haven't actually read it yet...

4. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I've never been a big Stephen King fan ... was just never my sorta thing. But I was recently introduced to the Kingdom Hospital tv series, which I believe is based on a Stephen King book or written by him ... or something like that. I think that's awesome!

1. profile image0

Yes, it seems to be people either love him or hate him. My dad and English Teacher hate him, I refer to his work alot in my own...just one of those things.

5. dohn121 profile image81

However, I guess I fall in the majority, like most his fans.  "The Stand" was by far the best (The Complete Uncut Edition w/ over 1350 pages).

6. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

no no no. Quite the opposite (according to what I was told). In Ancient Greek times it was the relationship between a man and a boy where the man taught a boy how to become a man (through sex). Men having relationships with boys were really common then ... can you imagine people doing that now!!

1. profile image0

You may be right...I just looked it up on Wikipedia

It says this on Platonic Love - "The Longing of the human being in his imperfectness for perfectness and completeness. It is the innate desire for immortality"

2. Davinagirl3 profile image59

This is correct!

1. profile image0

I stand corrected...=]

7. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

The Stand. Tommyknockers. Rose Madder. Must have read these like a million times. Dark Tower series, of course. Nightmares and Dreamscapes - got it as a birthday gift as a kid from my big bro. Got hooked ever since. Stephen King is my all time favorite author. Next to only J.D. Salinger. These are writers who dont pretend or try to be overly artistic as hell. I hate that stuff.

1. Raven King profile image60
      Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My favorite is Tommyknockers.  Stephen King has an amazing sense of humor and the characters he built are so life like and so real that I think I could find them in my neighborhood. smile

2. dohn121 profile image81

Ha!  Go figure!  No wonder you and I don't get at each other's throats!  Before: Dohn121 and fierycj = so so...
                   Now: Dohn121 and fierycj = BUDS!!!

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know what it is Dohn. Lol.

8. profile image0

Have any of you lot read the Bachman novels by King?
    I started reading Blaze but found it very dull...

9. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

In 6th grade I did my book project on "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" my stupid teacher made a fuss about me picking a Stephen King book. But I knew the principle and I fought to do it. I made a game of the woods smile But I'm not sure what my favorite book is.

1. profile image0

I know that feeling, dear girl. My teacher, when I asked him what he thought of Stephen King, said "He's Crap"

Yes, great description there =/

I love Kings books. They're fantastic

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that teacher was/is a moron. He was a substitute for our regular English teacher who was fantastic but was out due to illness. So he had no idea what he was talking about, or who he was arguing with smile

1. profile image0

My teacher is far from a moron, I have alot of time and respect for the guy...we just differ when it comes down to Stephen King.

I guess it is true to say his writing is not the best to study ever, hence why teachers don't like it, but he is good at what he does...shocking the living c*ap out of us! Haha

10. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

Actually, I'm pretty positive that "Dreamcatcher" was the first book he wrote after his accident in '99...

I've read a lot of his books, and I think my favorite is probably "The Stand", but I really like most of his older ones--especially "Firestarter"!

1. shibashake profile image82
      shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love Firestarter as well! Some really cool concepts in that one, and a lot less freaky than usual.

The thing that I truly love about King is that he can write about all these out of the box, out of this world scenarios and make them seem extremely real and present.

He is an extremely talented writer and thinker.

11. dohn121 profile image81

Gosh, too many...

Firestarter, The Shining and The Deadzone were all awesome and better compared to his newer stuff (sorry, SK).

Loved The Green Mile Serials, just drove me nuts because each serial was only about 50-70 pages long and whenever I picked up the newest one every month, I'd have to wait 29 days for the next one!  Great marketing strategy however.  I believe these use to be call Dime Paperbacks...

12. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

I'm embarassed to admit, but I could never finish "It", haha...

Way too creepy for me(sorry Stephen, lol)--I guess it doesn't help matters that I don't like clowns anyway...smile

13. Smokingstar profile image57
    Smokingstarposted 14 years ago

"IT" is awesome. I'm still reading "Duma Key" I've been slacking in the reading dept. lately. I think I'll pick up on it this weekend.

14. profile image0

I have both It and Duma Key looming on the shelf...I'm off to read The Shining now...night all (yes, it's 2.23am over here)

15. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I read a few of Stephen King's novels when I was younger. I actually liked Christine and Firestarter. I haven't read anything lately.

1. dohn121 profile image81

I'd highly suggest "Everything's Eventual."  It's a collection of short stories in which he'll write every 3 or 4 years.  My two favorite stories are "The Man in the Black Suit" and "Riding the Bullet."  The Man in the Black Suit won the O, Henry award.  I like his short stories because you can usually read one in just a few minutes.

16. AsherKade profile image57
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I don't know why, but I like Pet Cemetary. I have deal with A LOT of death in my life and have always hoped that they would return and be alive...
    Stephen King is my inspiration to my novels along with Edgar A Poe

Well, I love to read both of those guys...Then you must like H.P. Lovecraft too, right?

2. profile image0

Then just answer me this - WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I FANNED YOU ALL THIS WHILE, HUH?!!

Yo, fierycj.  You better have seen some Guillermo Del Torro movies.  I'll cry if you didn't!  You too AsherKade!!!

1. AsherKade profile image57
          AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fiery...join me then...

2. profile image0

Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2 to say the least.

Good to hear.  Your have to watch The Orphanage too.  Amazing and creepy...I can't wait for The Hobbit in 2011 or 2012.  It's going to be in 2 parts.

17. Herald Daily profile image60
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

I liked Pet Cemetary a lot.  I enjoyed Bag of Bones and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, too.  Actually, anything Stephen King is good.  Let me correct myself.  Anything Stephen King writes is great!

Nuff said.  You gotta come and join my workshop (OMG, I sound like my Creative Writing Prof.)

1. AsherKade profile image57
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

let me sit this one out...thx dohn

2. Herald Daily profile image60
        Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, I haven't been to a workshop in many years. smile

Well, if you can spare the time, check out my hub called "Write a 55-Word Story."  I was shocked at the responses.  That hub alone is why I have over 1,000 views in only 11 days.

1. Herald Daily profile image60
            Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will definitely check it out, thanks for the invite, Dohn.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)