jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Frank McCourt is dead at 78

1. curiozities profile image59
    curiozitiesposted 8 years ago

Frank McCourt just died today.  He was one of my favorite authors, winning a Pulitzer prize for Angela's Ashes.

He wrote about, as he put it, growing up poor and Catholic in Ireland.  I shook his hand once at a book signing some years ago. 

RIP, Mr. McCourt.

1. AEvans profile image79
      AEvansposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is sad and I read his book to absolutely wonderful!!! I still have it in my collection. smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image86
    Mighty Momposted 8 years ago

That is very sad. Angela's Ashes was tough to read, but very true to life.
    God rest Frank McCourt's soul, and here's a wee toast to his spirit: Slainche! MM

3. wannabwestern profile image85
    wannabwesternposted 8 years ago

He wrote some beautiful memoirs. Thanks for sharing this information.

4. Christoph Reilly profile image75
    Christoph Reillyposted 8 years ago

I had the pleasure of hearing him speak for two hours. He was funny and charming. He was one of five people for the speaker series, famous, important people all. He was by far the best.

5. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 8 years ago

My husband, a fellow former high school teacher, bought all of Frank McCourt's books. They were quite helpful to him, sometimes only because it was reassuring to know he wasn't the worst off.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I had heard he wouldn't last long. I'm so sorry to hear that, he is definitely one of my favourite authors.

7. Balinese profile image39
    Balineseposted 8 years ago

very sad

8. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 8 years ago

I AM JUST READING HIS BOOK TEACHER MAN IT IS BRILLIANT...... SHAME HE HAS DIED.....

working