jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

As a responsible writer do you care not to humiliate anyone?

1. urs_dipak profile image59
    urs_dipakposted 7 years ago

2. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 7 years ago

Yes. I recently wrote a hub titled, Examining Illogical Viewpoints which I addressed another hubber's illogical views, but steered clear from attack her as a person. Intelligent people with something of merit to say, attack the issue, not the person. Idiots go after the character of a person.

3. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Yes, I am always careful not to humiliate anyone. However, I don't take such care against angering or offending someone, it's an unfortunate side-effect that comes from having lots of people reading.

4. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

In general, I'm very careful about trying to not humiliate anyone.  There's one exception, though, and that's if someone, himself, has made it a point to look down on or humiliate other people.  I'll still try to be careful about not saying anything out-and-out humiliating about such a person; but if, in my efforts to point out what a belittling and misguided attitude someone has about someone else, it turns out that other person looks a little foolish, I figure they had it coming and took that risk when they decided to put down and try to humiliate someone else.

It's not pleasant, and I don't like it when it happens.  It doesn't happen all that often either.  Still, I just figure if someone feels free to put down other people in order to make himself feel superior - he needs to be able to take what he dishes out, which is often humiliation.

5. urs_dipak profile image59
    urs_dipakposted 7 years ago

IF I ask the question my self, I do care a lot not hurt any one at any cost, but it does not mean i will not participate in a healthy criticisms for a wrong thing.

Further,
    Thanks friends for sharing your views in brief.

Thanks a lot

6. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

If you humiliate some one in a piece of writing that is published, you become open to a libel action against you.  The only defence is that what you have published is the truth.  Unlike most situations where the accuser has to prove that the accused is guilty, in the libel laws, the accused has to prove his innocence, the accuser doesn't have to do anything but bring a complaint that his character has been injured in a permanent way, a published piece of work.  Slander is different, it is impermanent, the law dealing with spoken statements.
    So yes, all writers who aim for publication should deal very carefully in what the say about living people.
    Fiction writers also have to be careful, if their story can be linked to someone, however tenuously, they are still liable to prosecution, and - 'any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental,' is not a defence.

7. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

mmm, seems that I've got two answers up again?

working