For those who have hung around here for a while- has hubpages helped you polish

1. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

For those who have hung around here for a while-  has hubpages helped you polish your writing...

and presentation skills?

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I think the people who are able to learn by analyzing their own stats and audience reactions to Hubs probably have learned to improve, but honestly, you can find many people cranking out tons of Hubs over months or years who clearly haven't gotten any better at the content crafting part of Hub-making.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Some time ago I wrote a Hub on that very subject: Craftsmanship as distinct from Creatvity.  Both are needed in the writer, and they are of equal importance; two sides of the one coin, so to speak.   In my Hub I mentioned that a famous writer had once said that it takes the writing of around half a million words to develop a 'style.'   I believe that to be true.

With the advent of the word-processor, where corrections and alterations can be made with ease, it is easy to alter a thing around so much that it looses its fluidity.   When I began writing many years ago, it was double-space on a manual type writer with carbon paper copies.   A long, laborious first draft had to then be corrrected with pen and ink, and then the whole manuscript typed again until one was satisfied with it.   It was an arduous way to gain a skill but, in retrospect, well worth the effort.   

One wonders what some of the newcomers are doing by way of developing their 'writing craft.'