jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

word count

1. Marye Audet profile image89
    Marye Audetposted 10 years ago

I know this has probably been discussed before-just point me in the right direction..other than writing on a word program and copying ot Hubpages is there a way to get a word count on hubs? It would be helpful in the writing of Flagship Hubs especially

2. Isabella Snow profile image88
    Isabella Snowposted 10 years ago

I was just thinking of asking this one.

I know theres a tool for it.. maybe they could let us see it in our stats?

3. Lissie profile image81
    Lissieposted 10 years ago

I always write the words for a long hub offline in openoffice - Ive had too many problems with stuff disapearing when i write in the text capsules - happened again last night - If you write offline you will get better spell checking as well - I've decided to write in English spelling for hubs about non-US topics and American for the others so  I need to change dictionaries - I cant spell in any language!

4. Lissie profile image81

I always write the words for a long hub offline in openoffice - Ive had too many problems with stuff disapearing when i write in the text capsules - happened again last night - If you write offline you will get better spell checking as well - I've decided to write in English spelling for hubs about non-US topics and American for the others so  I need to change dictionaries - I cant spell in any language!

5. Isabella Snow profile image88
    Isabella Snowposted 10 years ago

I think most of us create our content offline. This feature would be particularly helpful for when people update their hubs and add or remove more than a few sentences.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image55
      Jerrico Usherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Whats the appropriate length of a hub in general (for SEO) and hub parameters. I realize you can write to your hearts content but what is generally a good size (in word count)? I just wrote a 36 page hub but may not release it like this, I was thinking actually of segmenting it by headings (each heading is about 2 pages in word) which are focused conent on their own which leads to the rest of the hubs theme.. I like the idea of doing this and adding a navigation link set (link to all the parts of the whole hub split into series of hubs for shorter per hub content and a better over all exposure of ads).. but if I were to put up a long hub what would be a good size to cap off at to appeal to the reader who likes to read long hubs and still maintain the reader who doesnt?

6. Lissie profile image81

Flagship hubs are required to be 1500 words -  sometimes  I get to 2000 - anymore I think is too much - there is no way for readers to skip down a hub to the section that interests them  - I would split anything longer into multiple hubs and maybe include a link to others in the series. the SEO marketers always say about 200-400 words for an article but I'm not convinced - most of my topics are too trivial at that length

7. Stacie Naczelnik profile image72
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 10 years ago

Patty Inglish does a great job of writing about a huge subject, but cutting it into different hubs.  Check out this one: Preparing for an Interview and see how she links to other hubs on the same topic.

thank you!

I just released a long one but I feel it all needed to be in there.. course I know I need an editor too lol..

8. William F. Torpey profile image76
    William F. Torpeyposted 10 years ago

Mark Twain, famous American writer, to a friend: "Sorry for the long letter. I didn't have time to write a short one." It's my favorite quote.

I love it!

working