jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What exactly is a dofollow?

1. joleenruffin profile image59
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

What exactly is a dofollow?

I have been reading a lot about dofollow backlinks, can someone explain exactly what it is.

2. tritrain profile image83
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

"Dofollow" is the notion of allowing all link value (aka "link juice") to be passed along to the other site. 

Rel=nofollow is the html attribute that is supposed to block the link value and/or search engine spiders from crawling the link.

For more info see http://www.inlineseo.com/blog/2008/03/1 … g-and-see/

3. Hungry-n-Foolish profile image60
    Hungry-n-Foolishposted 7 years ago

backlinks are just like votes for Google. Thus, in case you have a website www.example.com and you have some 100,000 backlinks to your website, then Google will consider your website as a real nice website.. with 1000 votes. This will mean that the keywords you are targeting like Example, Example 101 etc, will shoot up in the result pages. Now, backlinks are two types: dofollow and nofollow. In simpler terms, Google considers only dofollow backlinks as votes. Nofollow backlinks are, well, bogus votes! Google doesn't consider as worthy. Thus, while building links (or outsourcing them) always look for dofollow links. and, there is a very simple strategy to check them as well.. i can share incase anyone is interested!

4. exquisitestill profile image59
    exquisitestillposted 7 years ago

A "dofollow" tag is a notice to search engines who are crawling are indexing pages that the content and links in this page are okay for backlinks. If there is a "nofollow" tag, the search engine would know not to follow the link in the content.

No follow tags are mostly commonly used for affiliate links.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Great Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been needing to ask it myself, and you've done it instead for me, and for us all!

6. joleenruffin profile image59
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

thanks for the answers. I am all caught up now. tritrain, the article you linked to was an excellent resource and answered all my questions.

7. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

Well, 'nofollow' is originally meant for spam sites, to weed them out to not get prominence on Google, so 'dofollow' is the opposite.  But, this is a Big 'but' your hub has to have a certain score to get to 'dofollow' status.  Something like 75 I believe.