jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Does texting code like LOL, ROFL, etc. have a place in article writing?

1. Jan Fowler profile image61
    Jan Fowlerposted 7 years ago

Does texting code like LOL, ROFL, etc. have a place in article writing?

I mean if you write something funny it is funny. Writing LOL following the statement does not make it funny. What do you think about bringing texting lingo into long hand writing?

2. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

In my opinion no. A writer has many other ways to express that something is funny without resorting to such abbreviations. I also think that this lingo doesn't work equally well with all age groups.

3. Article Magick profile image62
    Article Magickposted 7 years ago

No, is the short answer. Article writing is about quality content. Article directories will reject articles with spelling errors, poor grammar and senseless synonyms as well as for many more reasons; this is a good thing. Save LOL, LMAO and other "self-descriptive" phrases for Facebook and Twitter and bring your best when you write articles.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No, texting is short messages, abbreviations are fine there, smiley faces, etc, help to show meaning.  Writers who need them to show meaning in the more precise language of an article, are in the wrong game.

5. phamer13 profile image58
    phamer13posted 7 years ago

Since I am not into texting yet, I have no idea of the meaning of many of these abbreviations.  Texting codes, a possible shortcut to real meanings, do not belong in articles.

6. Scott_Grigg profile image40
    Scott_Griggposted 7 years ago

The question in my mind is why not? If I'm writing for a corporation and in AP style, probably not. If I am writing for an audience of people like me, why not?

7. Mavis Nong profile image57
    Mavis Nongposted 7 years ago

No. The texting code has its place, not in article writing.

8. truebluewriter profile image63
    truebluewriterposted 7 years ago

Depends on the target audience I suppose. If your writing primarily for teenagers then it should be acceptable and maybe even necessary to keep their attention.

working