jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Dumbest backlink question of all times. Trying to ensure I fully understand bac

1. AF CHIEF profile image79
    AF CHIEFposted 7 years ago

Dumbest backlink question of all times.  Trying to ensure I fully understand backlinks so here...

goes.  As I understand it if I have a link on a .gov or .edu site and that is clicked by someone then that's counted as a bl from .gov or edu.  Correct?  Next, if someone is on a .gov or .edu domain and performs a google search and clicks on your hubpage, is that a .gov or .edu backlink?

2. davidemorgan profile image55
    davidemorganposted 7 years ago

No one has to actually click on the link for it to count as a backlink. Backlinks are simply links from other sites to yours. So if there is a link to your page or hub from a page on another site, and that page is indexed by the search engines, it counts as a backlink.

3. cascoly profile image61
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

in answer to part 2 - "if someone is on a .gov or .edu domain and performs a google search and clicks on your hubpage, is that a .gov or .edu backlink?"  where the user is located has no connection with backlinks - it's only a link if there's an actual place to click on the site.  what you describe is a user from a edu domain finding your site thru google, not a link

4. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 7 years ago

Google is a .com, so it would be a .com, except I don't think Google counts it's index as a "link" at all.

If you are linked from a .gov or .edu page though it should carry some pretty good PR with the link.  No one has to click the link for it to count as a backlink.  Google (and other search engines) find the link when they index the page it is on.

Google does count clicks from their searchs and measures the time you spend on the page after you click.  Both those factors go into determining your page rank.  Your page rank determines your position in the search results.  Google tries to put the most popular pages first.

5. AF CHIEF profile image79
    AF CHIEFposted 7 years ago

wow talking about learning more and more each day.  I want to thank each of you for your time in answering this question as it has helped me in understanding backlinks even better.  Hubbers ROCK!!! lol

working