So... should I begin to pay for backlinks?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (36 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I know that there is a lot of backlink advice out there.

I know there are a lot of places to get backlinks.

But when do you reach the stage where it's appropriate to start paying for backlinks - I know at least some of the pro hubbers do (while others don't backlink at all.)

I have several accounts now, and also plan to write at least a few hundred more on this account and would like to get more exposure and ranking for the hubs I have that are starting to do well...

Advice appreciated. smile

And no... I don't like social bookmarking sites.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You reach the stage when it is appropriate to pay for links when you decide you would be better off spending your time doing something else and have enough money to do so. Doing your own is time consuming and boring. big_smile

But - you need to do it so as to get an idea of how much time it takes and, by extension what is an appropriate price to pay. Plus - you need to find what is the most effective way of doing it. All links are not created equal and you can waste an awful lot of time or money building useless ones.

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Mark.

I have dabbled in it but I'm always stuck between wanting to spend time writing more hubs and wanting to spend time promoting. Writing usually wins.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

Hubpages has a nice video on the subject.

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/

1. Never_Forget profile image60
      Never_Forgetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of that video is complete nonsense BS that will prevent you from ever earning a decent amount of money from your hard work.

3. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would say it depends where you get them from.  I am currently running an experiment with an automated backlink tool, it is going pretty well so far, but I would avoid the ones which sell 'backlinks' without telling you any other information.

A lot of the time a bit of manual backlinking and organic growth can generate enough backlinks for a well researched keyword.

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Most of the things recommended in hubs come with an affilite link. I've noticed that programs without aff links don't get recommended much. So what does that suggest to you?

1. sunforged profile image74
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

true and untrue

most will require some sort of motivation to take the time to write about something, especially when its something that "helps" possible competition perform better.

You have to be careful of whose recommendations to trust - but in most cases , services and products have hundreds of options and the writer/marketer can select from any of these to promote.

example) I write about webhosting sometimes - I can get the same commission for a sale among at least 40 possible hosting companies that I am partnered with and that i could recommend, but only HostGator gets a full recommendation from me. Thats my honest opinion as a client and an affiliate with exp w/ multiple hosting companies.

some would pay more than HG

I dont use any paid backlink services, so I have no direct response to the OP.

as always its about your niche, its competition and a cost verse benefit analysis of what it would take and what you could earn if you are #1 for the term

I cant imagine paying for backlinks until I have exhausted the more traditional methods and I have a budget to afford and experiment with such services(which I do)

I keep seeing these backlink/dont backlink comparisons and never do i see the important factor of competition mentioned. The argument is very specific to the term/terms one hopes to rank for any statements to the contrary are naive

1. SteveoMc profile image71
        SteveoMcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you make so much sense all the time?  I want to be your apprentice. smile

1. sunforged profile image74
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, i am now following you to be your apprentice!

a couple weeks back my washer stopped draining - it took me hours of forum reading at diy locations to figure out and test and discover that my lid switch was broken (can push where it was suppposed to with a screwdriver to start draining) - your hub on the subject would have saved me hours of time! It is without question the most complete resource on the subject that I discovered.

Now just need a hub on taking the chassis off a washer and not getting electrocuted wink

1. SteveoMc profile image71
            SteveoMcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am honored.....and thank you kindly for the support, now help me get about another million readers for that hub and I will be eternally grateful!    tongue

2. thisisoli profile image76
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It suggests that some of us like money tongue

However the programs I recommend for the most part, even with affiliate links, are programs that I actively use myself.

5. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

I like the OP and want the answer.  If it turns out to be a viable option, please inform those of us who are still in the tunnel and can see a glimmer of light ahead.

6. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

I think you shouldn't!

Perhaps you should try making more friends who have their own websites, or make some new web sites of your own!

7. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

IMO most paid backlinking services are not worth a darn. Most of them put your link in directories, which are almost worthless now.

Let's face it, if these places actually took the time to find a great place to put your link, spent time making a little blurb and then put your link in the content, they would have to charge you 20 bucks a link!

Most of them have auto scripts that throw your link out there on partner sites that quickly become seen to Google as link farms and spam bots.

In fact it's easy to get hurt by those paid link places as your link can be seen as spam.

As is most often the case in life, doing it the slow, hard way is the best.

However, if you know people that have blogs, partner up with them and exchange blog post to each other with your link in the post text. That is the best way. smile

Ah - so you have some proof of this?

I could do this to my competitors then? I could add your site and build links that are seen as spam and get you "hurt"?

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's common knowledge that if you suddenly get 100 back links in a day Google does not like that.

Or if all your links are coming from link farms and other spammy sites. In fact yes indeed, if you put someone's URL link into 50 "bad" sites you would hurt them.

Back links work both ways. Most of the time they are good, but doing it wrong can backfire and get you penalized or even banned.

Having your links in known hijack sites and other sites deemed bad by Google gets some of that bad vibe pushed to your site.

So that is why I want to know exactly where my links are going. I've swapped so many links, only to see 6 months later the site no longer exits.

Which BTW is another thing Google does not like, broken links all over your site to URL's no longer in service. smile

So - you have some proof then?

Nope, no proof at all since I've never tried to hurt anyone nor put my links in bad sites.

I only know what I read from the dozen or so forums I belong to, including adult ones and black hat ones.

I do know many who say they tried things and it bit them in the ass, getting banned outright from Google to dropping way down. I'll believe them and not do the same as they did. smile

Well - seems to me you have misunderstood what these people are doing or what the ramifications are.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me that something I could do off site will adversely affect one of my competitors. Because the Internet is a nasty, competitive place and - trust me - if this was possible - peopel would be doing it.

The way these people get "hurt" is not a direct penalty.

What happens is - google discovers a spammy way of creating links and discounts those links, causing whoever is using them to lose whatever authority they were gaining from them. This is not being "hurt" - this is more being caught cheating or gaming the system. And invariably their content is poor quality.

There are a few things that can get you penalized, and if enough people complain about your activity to google I understand you can get an IP address or domain penalized - but I have only ever heard unsubstantiated rumors about this and in any case - hard core black hat SEO types can easily use proxies and IP masking.

Hubpages specifically asks you not to create spam links to hubs, and I guess if we all went and bought 500,000 spam comments on blogs, we might make an impression and draw negative attention when 500 million spam comments got dumped out there and 5,000 blog owners complained to Big Daddy G. Not sure how much it would need to be to do so though.

The internet is a big place, I mean - huge. Seriously - if you have made such an impression to get yourself banned - you have probably made enough money not to care. lol

2. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure what proof you need Mark, it's been well established since well before the internet that well directed advertising is far more cost effective than the scatter gun approach.
            For example, is it Steve who writes on wahsing machine repairs, is he better linking to a small selection of sites selling spares by mail order or a couple of hundred ambulance chasers in New York?

I really don't think a high level of experience is necessary to answer that one.

This has nothing to do with the ability to "hurt" your competition by creating spam links into their pages.

1. John Holden profile image60

Well it was past my bedtime and the critical functions were fading but I do think my previous post did sort of a bit more than suggest it was possible to sabotage a site. I mean, denial of service attacks are hardly new are they?

2. John Holden profile image60

Mark. from experience that does seem to be the case. I subscribe to a small forum for booksellers. Though not busy there was little chit-chat on it, mostly good solid content and all ways a good solid ranking on Google.
        Then the address was sold as a back link, attracting a 100 or so links every day. Many were content just to let their link lie in the index, many more felt it incumbent on themselves to post their link on the forum and clutter it with messages along the lines of "great post" or "me too" and then slip in their link for their dog grooming parlour in down town Skegness.
        Google doesn't index us any more and that hits in the pocket as it isn't just the forum that is no longer indexed.

So yes it hurts.

lol

8. experience days profile image59
    experience daysposted 13 years ago

Paid backling services are generally rubbish, but big sites usually have paid backlinks - it's how you get them that matters.

Spammy backlinks in the footer of a website won't help your couse, but a subtle promotion in a website's page content can't hurt. Approach potential websites directly, rather than through dodgy backlink brokers

9. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

On a related note, I myself was contacted by a rep from Holiday Inns. They wanted to pay me $75.00 for a text link on my three hotel related sites for a year.

THAT kind of paid back linking works great. Just pick a site related to yours that has high PR, then offer to pay for a link. But it quickly gets expensive.

Yes, I did accept the money. smile

10. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Now, like any business, it is about money in and money out.  If you get more money in from paying for backlinking (including the cost or expense of this) then it makes good business sense to do this.

If you are paying more money out than gaining, why would you go wasting your money?

Competition? There seems to be a rumour that Google doesnt account for this since the mayday changes - but who knows for sure?  The algorithyms are a secret!  I think it is something to do with (apparently) accommodating the social networking sites - facebook etc. 

So, is competition relevant an issue now?  I dont know, but I am sure time will tell.  Google is a changing, evolving thing who aim to be more natural as time goes by.  Whether cheating the system will still work - with backlinking, is another mystery.  I guess we all have to trial and error this before we can tame the beast!

I really don't think backlinking is cheating. If I knew I would not rank any higher no matter how many links I make, I would still do it.

Links give you traffic. Links on related sites give you very valuable traffic. One site I have gets over 2,000 uniques a day from links.

If you did it enough you could forget all about Google and just get your traffic from links. smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheating wasnt my words... I think this was paraphased from... errr... *looks around*... ummm.. I think I watched a recent video  *wink*

11. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Go away for a few hours and come back to 25 replies.

Thanks for the feedback. smile

12. kerryg profile image81
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Misha did a hub awhile back on paid backlinks that you might find useful: http://hubpages.com/hub/Backlink-Tool-O … or-Writers

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the plug Kerry, though the hub about 1waylinks is closer to the topic. smile

As for the original question - I am with Mark smile

Thanks. I will read it. smile

13. Medora Trevilian profile image61
    Medora Trevilianposted 13 years ago

Why pay for something when you can receive it gratis? Linking that occurs naturally is worth more, anyway. All the best things in life are free.

And if I'd rather have the reward of backlinks now, instead of in nine or ten months or even two years time?

The more backlinks I create, the more people view it, meaning the more natural links will be created.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)