Book Recommendations?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I need something to read.  I was so desperate last week I read my daughter's Twilight series (all four books). They were not the best, but better than nothing.

I like Non-Fiction and Fiction.  Not big into Science Fiction. I like to get lost in books.

Any suggestions?

1. A2shley profile image61
      A2shleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi!  I'm making my way through Time Magazine's 100 best novels (the list is subjective). I've just finished "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis, and "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner - all of which were very good.  I'm on to "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.  Google the list...it should give you some good ideas.  Happy reading!

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.amazon.com/Ponder-Awhile-Moh … 1419646729

In Ponder Awhile, poet and writer Mohit K. Misra challenges readers to embrace the simple joys and truths of bare existence. His is a delicate, calm and forceful world where philosophy bends to the whims of the spirit—a place where mankind is generous, sincere and introspective. How glorious it is to live, love and learn! This collection of fifty-one poems captures all that is pure, elegant and sweet in life. With titles such as “Mother Earth,” “Charity,” “Peace,” and “Married to the light, readers are in for a treat with this second printing of what has become an Indian classic. Each poem is written in the classical poetry style of Dohas or couplets, the style of the sages and mystics. Each work of poetic prose is highly readable and engaging and may be easily used as either a weekly mantra, meditation or simply as an inducement to get the reader’s mind and soul moving in the right direction—to enlightenment and beyond.

Franklin Top Spiritual and Religious
      http://find.franklin.com/nav/ca/spiritu … r/ebooks/0
      4.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.k.Misra

Best Book Buys- Philosophy-Religious
      http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Philosophy-R … books.html

6.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.k.Misra

Spiritualism
      http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Spiritualism-books.html

7.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.k.Misra

Poetry from 75,695 books
      http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Poetry-books.html

36.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.k.Misra

I love the Kural by Tiruvalluvar, The Glass Bead Game-Hermann Hesse and Book Of Mirdad -Mikhael Naimvy

3. video lost profile image58
      video lostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Following is an amazing short book and can be downloaded.
      http://www.scribd.com/doc/18990366/Free … a-Nutshell

4. profile image58
      judeeraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi i just joined about a week ago. I dont much about Hubbing but am trying to learn. I will like to recommend a book like Da Vinci Code. You will definitely enjoy it.

Thanks. judeera

5. sheristeele profile image61
      sheristeeleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Princess Sultana's books by Jean Sasson.  About the life of a true princess of the Royal family in Saudi Arabia. They are great true to life books about lives and the trials that women face today in the middle east.

6. Jean Bakula profile image88
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover is very thought provoking. It's about the life of a woman whose family didn't believe in education, and brought her up in a mix of ignorance and pretend "home schooling" thrown in. The Father was bipolar and the rest of the family pretended to be very God loving people, but were very abusive to their numerous children and never had much time for them. It's not an easy book to read, but is well worth the read.

7. swalia profile image85
      swaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I am sure you will enjoy reading it.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Pat Conroy's "South of Broad"
    Richard Russo's "That Old Cape Magic"
    Jim Fergus "One Thousand White Women"
    Goolrick's "The Reliable Wife"

3. giantsteps profile image61
    giantstepsposted 14 years ago

Kim Edwards "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"
    Arundhati Roy "The God of Small Things"
    Banana Yoshimoto "Kitchen"
    Haruki Murakami "Kafka on the Shore"

I'm currently reading "Happiness" by Will Ferguson. I just started reading that today. It's good so far.

4. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

René Guénon - Metaphysics

But prepare for getting totally crazy. big_smile

5. dohn121 profile image79
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I don't care what anyone thinks...The Harry Potter Series is great for kids of ALL AGES.  It's simply pure fun.

If you're looking for more of an adult book, I recommend, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coehlo

"Rose Madder" by Stephen King

"The Stand" by Stephen King

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (the movie's coming out soon)

I got a few more, but I'd suggest these first!

6. Jane@CM profile image59

I'm writing a list for an Amazon order, keep them coming.

Great suggestions. 

I've read the Stephen King books and "The Memory Keeper's Daughter".

I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to read the Harry Potter series.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a lot of time to invest in kids books. But I did loved all of the HP movies.

2. dohn121 profile image79
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I highly recommend it.  You'll plow right through it!  One of the best things about the book is that you actually SEE Harry maturing, especially psychologically.  I can't post it, but I did write a hub on Harry Potter.  If anything else, please take a peek!

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think my daughter could quote back all the books to me.  She has read the series at least seven times LOL. She is actually packing them to take to college ???

1. TamCor profile image80
          TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jane--I have probably read the HP series seven times, lol, and I'm 50!  A few years ago, my then-teenage son begged me to read at least one--I kept saying no--those are kids' books--I wouldn't enjoy them...finally, though, I caved, and was hooked by the second page, lol...smile

And definitely read dohn's HP hub--it's terrific!

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Stop the World I Need to Pee by Cindy Vine, one of our fine hubbers.

8. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

The Shack - William P Young.

Enjoyed that one. Reading another couple by Valerio Massimo Manfredi now.

Loved The Shack!

2. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that was my suggestion too. smile  great book, but not long enough!

9. EdG. profile image60
    EdG.posted 14 years ago

Basically anything by Kurt Vonnegut. The Sirens of Titan and God Bless You Mr. Rosewater were two of my personal favorites. Also Mark Twain, especially his short stories and essays. These two guys are classic authors and they have plenty of excellent work beyond their more well-known publications.

Just for the record though, I also found the Harry Potter series immensely enjoyable.

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Any books by John Saul, Iris Johnson, and Dean Koontz! I totally recommend their books. they are definitely intersting and fun to read.

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree--terrific authors here, too!  But possibly crazd means Iris "Johansen", instead of "Johnson"? Maybe not, but that is the one I'm familiar with! smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL yes I mean Johansen. I can never get her last name right. THANKS TAMCOR hehe

11. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I did write a hub about 10 books, or series of books, that I really enjoy and would recommend. Have a look if you fancy it?

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well it's good to see you London Girl. Where have you been! Was wondering if I missed your flounce.

1. LondonGirl profile image80
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, no flouncing, I never flounce. It's too boring for words (-:

I've just been very busy, I'm afraid! But nice to see you all.

2. Jane@CM profile image59

On my way over..

1. awsydney profile image59
        awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jane, Check out Ann Packer's Song Without Words, a great story about close friends. I like your hairstyle by the way. smile

12. AllMomNeeds2know profile image61
    AllMomNeeds2knowposted 14 years ago

I don't know if comedy but I love Sophie Kinsella, all of her books.  She really gets you into the characters heads.  She wrote the shopaholic series and other great books.

13. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

The Shack is really good! What about the old classics - One Flew over the Cuckoos nest - Brave New World - Nineteen Eighty Four etc.

I'm also a huge HArry Potter fan - they are good too!

You don't like Sci-fi - but what about Lord of the Rings - if you can get past the first 100 pages that is!

14. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

there are so many good books.  BBC has a list of the 100 most popular books (2003) which is a great start!

Here are some of my favorites:

all the Jane Austin books
    The Other Boleyn Girl- fiction
    The Time Traveler's Wife- fiction
    The Passion of Artemisia- historical fiction
    Girl With a Pearl Earring- historical fiction
    Dan Brown books

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

check out the library first!!
    happy reading

15. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

The Darwin Awards. It's really funny! and The Kite Runner..Really tragic but amazing.

16. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

"Perfume."  Or see the film.  It's very allegorical, and kind of hard to take, but the writing is superb.  Also, anything by E. Annie Proulx...particularly "The Shipping News" (I'm prejudiced).  Her writing is the stuff of dreams, it is so perfect.

You'll get lost in those, promise, wink.

17. Jane@CM profile image59

I'm glad I started this thread.  So many suggestions!  Wow, great for everyone looking for books to read!

18. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

The Left Behind Series...really, really good!
    The Lovely Bones
    The Mayfair Witches Trilogy
    Any series written by Bodie Thoene (amazing books)
    Birds of Prey

To name a few...couldn't put them down smile

19. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I like the Charlene Harris, True Blood series, it's on HBO but all books are great to read.  But I got a lot of ideas from here too.  Anything Stephen King or James Patterson...for me, are good.

20. dohn121 profile image79
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Has anyone read, "The Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons?  Time Magazine rated it as one of the greatest novels (never mind the fact that it's perhaps THE BEST graphic novel of all time) of the 20th Century's Top 100.  Moore actually wrote it on a challenge that graphic novels would never be respected in the literary mainstream.  By the way, he also wrote "V for Vendetta" as well.  The book is absolutely amazing.

1. profile image0

My husband read "The Watchmen" and said that it was really good. A LOT better than the movie too

1. dohn121 profile image79

You have to read it!  Believe me when I say that it is not a comic book, just because it HAS comics in it.

1. profile image0

I'll steal it I mean borrow it from him once I get most of my books read that I already have. I myself have TONS of books I have yet to read. lol

1. dohn121 profile image79

Hmpf!!!  Then don't start reading The Watchmen just yet...Once you start, you won't put it down lol

2. A2shley profile image61
      A2shleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That one is on my list but I wasn't sure...I'll bump it up in the ranks.  Is it long?

21. asalvani profile image59
    asalvaniposted 14 years ago

Rumble Tumble - by Joe R Lansdale

22. LRobbins profile image43
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

Being Caribou: Five Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd  by Karsten Heuer (non fiction - might seem like an odd choice but my book club loved it)
    The Red Tent - Anita Diamant (fiction)
    The Red Scarf - Kate Furnival (fiction)

Happy Reading!

23. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Rather than science fiction, I would consider The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan to be high fantasy--and the ONLY series for which I have an entire (and even redundant) collection today, through all of our many moves.  In fact, when I finish the 11th book, if I don't happen to have anything else "exciting" close at hand, I just start over with Jordan.

He died before he could finish, but his widow has now hired a writer to finish up (in accordance with to the copious notes he left behind), and my latest understanding is that Book Twelve should be released in November. 

When it comes to science fiction and/or fantasy, which is my own chosen genre as a writer, I never really care about the technology--which can be either of massive interest or a massive turnoff, depending on the reader--but about the CHARACTERS as they move through a world (or worlds) that become as real to me as planet Earth as we know it today.  And nobody produces characters that live and breathe and love and die in greater depth and richness than Robert Jordan.  No matter what else is going on in my life, such as even the financial drought we experienced for most of the summer and which had us sweltering in 100-plus degree heat, eating out of tin cans and none too much of that, I can ALWAYS open a Jordan volume, pick up where I left off, and BE THERE.  His work in a real sense sustains my life.

The first volume is The Eye Of The World. Wikipedia sums it up fairly well.

24. profile image0
    Linda Kabanposted 14 years ago

I'm 52 and still love me some Harry Potter smile

How about some adventure mixed in with learnin'.

Dan Brown, Matthew Reilly, Clive Cussler, Lincoln Child and Douglas Prescott, who write together and separately.

Just like Calgon's slogan "take me away", these books take you on a whirlwind adventure and bring you back a little changed.

25. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I really enjoyed Winds of War which ends with the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and War and Remembrance, which picks up at Pearl and continues through the end of the war.  Both are by Herman Wouk.   

Most all of the John Grisham book are page turners.  Likewise the Sidney Sheldons.  Sheldon books are super easy to read, the language at maybe a 6th grade level, but packed with lots of story and suspense.

26. Ira Mency profile image82
    Ira Mencyposted 5 years ago

I am currently reading Bear Spirit Mountain Ancestral Awakening about a guy who bought a site to build a dream home and found out it was an ancient graveyard ceremonial site.  I then wrote an article about the whole thing as it happened near my home.  Imagine telling your wife you just spend five digits on a graveyard and cannot build your dream home. (woopsie.)  <link snipped - no promotional links>

1. theraggededge profile image87
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ira, this thread is nine years old.

It's not a good idea to post your articles here unless you are looking for constructive feedback. It's discouraged by HubPages as shown by the message to the side of the screen when you post here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)