jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why chat language is not used here on Hubpages?

1. Umna Safdar profile image60
    Umna Safdarposted 6 years ago

Why chat language is not used here on Hubpages?

Using chat language is very common these days and on many websites it is being used but why not on hubpages. That's what I always think about since I have joined hubpages. Please answer.

2. billericky profile image61
    billerickyposted 6 years ago

For me, It is not professional, and as hubpages is open to all people of different languages, commanding a good English writing experience is difficult enough for some to contend with.

3. Richard Craig profile image65
    Richard Craigposted 6 years ago

I agree with billericky, professionalism is key to making a good hub.  Also, writing in the correct grammar does improve your writing skills.

4. moiragallaga profile image83
    moiragallagaposted 6 years ago

I also agree with both billericky and Richard Craig. Aside from professionalism and improving writing skills, it is also about making the effort to communicate properly with everyone in this community. For me, I feel that by making the time and effort to construct my comments and responses as best as I possibly can  and using correct grammar as much as possible (I am not perfect, so I need the practice also) I am also extending courtesy to fellow hubbers and the hub pages community with that effort.

Another thing, I consider chat language quite informal and something best reserved for close friends. While we may interact with each other here quite closely, to some extent a number of us are not personally acquainted, so I find it presumptuous to be very informal by using chat language. For me, it is a way of also showing respect for my fellow hubbers.

Of course, I understand the use of chat language, sometimes the medium you use has limited amount of characters to use to get your message across so abbreviating it makes sense and is practical. But here in hub pages there is no character limit in our responses and comments so I find no need to abbreviate messages and feel that i should make the effort for the reasons I stated in the preceding paragraphs. This is just my opinion by the way, I am not saying this is how it should be.

5. froch profile image86
    frochposted 6 years ago

From time to time it could be funny, but only from time to time...because heavy amount of chat-style is exhausting.

6. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

chat language is used mainly by kids and teens. though my spelling isn't great, i don't like reading when the author can't even make an attempt to write properly. to me it's just plain laziness and completely unnecessary.

working