Do people still earn money on here? On hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. deecoleworld profile image74
    deecoleworldposted 6 years ago

Do people still earn money on here? On hubpages? I am curious

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Many do. Many don't. It takes time and you need a brain.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Lol

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people still make money. Success or failure in life is a combination of effort and luck, including here on HubPages.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It depends what you mean by "earn money".   

If you sign out of HubPages and look at the front page, you'll see examples of people who are earning good money on HubPages.   I'm not a high earner but I do make payout easily every month and that's based on less than 100 Hubs which need very little upkeep.

However the fact is, and has always been, that the vast majority of Hubbers earn less than $10 a month.  One of our veteran Hubbers, Relache, used to run an annual poll and that was the outcome every single time, even in the glory days of HubPages (pre-2011), when we had a large cohort of Hubbers earning over $2,000 a month.

I believe there are still a few Hubbers earning that kind of money but they're far less common.  Earning from writing anywhere on the internet is much much harder now.  If you want to earn money here, you need to write high quality Hubs that meet the criteria to be moved to the new niche sites - that's where the future income is.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image89
      Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Of course people still do, I've easily made payout every month for the past year despite not writing additional articles and making few edits to the articles I do have.

I doubt anyone actually makes a living off of hubpages alone but it's nice receiving residual income every month. That extra cash can pay several bills and then some.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people do earn.  How much they earn depends on many factors, some of which are mentioned in other posts here.  However, the learning curve here is long and hard.  Sometimes it takes years to really earn any decent amount of money, and even then, some people never earn much at all.

I look at as a puzzle whose pieces you must find and put together in order to create the whole so that your work earns.  Lots of pieces...big puzzle!

Those who find the formula can do OK, but few ever make enough to live on.  However, the extra income is very nice to have, and what you learn during the process is priceless.

1. profile image0
        lindaspeaksposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people still earn money on hubpages but, it is a slow process. It depends on how many articles you have featured.  And how many people view your articles.

6. Alison Graham profile image93
      Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

As Will says, it does take time - but many make payout every month and earn from Amazon sales if it is appropriate to add Amazon links to articles written. May I suggest that you visit Marisa Wright's profile page. In the highlighted hubs there, you will find an article specifically about how to craft and edit your articles with the specific purpose of gaining more readers and earning more money. Good luck, (Will didn't mention that you need a bit of that as well!!).

7. deecoleworld profile image74
      deecoleworldposted 6 years ago

thanks

8. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 6 years ago

Yes, still making money but it's all relative. I don't make payout every month, sometimes not for two months. But I look forward to the pocket change my evergreen articles continue to make for me. Everybody's goals are different when it comes to earnings. HP is a supplement to my income, I don't depend on it.

9. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 6 years ago

Yes. Not a livelihood, but enough money to really come in handy.

10. iwrite100 profile image73
      iwrite100posted 6 years ago

I'm earning cents smile  That is still "earning"

11. Glenis Rix profile image96
      Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

The hubpages team is upfront in telling us that we may not make much money. Of course it would be thrilling to receive a payment but  I use Hubpages largely as a platform for creative writing and a tool for improving my writing skills.  It's a hobby. I don't make money.. If I devoted time to writing lots of articles that provide practical tips and advice that is not widely available elsewhere perhaps  I would receive more visits and eventually earn a pay out. But I suspect it would involve a lot of effort for minimal payback.

1. profile image0
        lindaspeaksposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. The reason I write on hubpages is to share my wisdom a knowledge for other people to enjoy. It isn't so much about the money because there are other websites on the internet that will pay you lots of money for blogging and writing articles. But, I do not have time to write articles   everyday for them to receive the earnings.

12. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 6 years ago

Making money on the internet through writing is not a right - it is also not a function of Hubpages to make you earn money on the whole - they provide a platform that does most of the right things to give you a good shot at earning money... What you then write is the key to getting those earnings.

If however you write in saturated topic areas, use keywords that no one is going to search for, write about something that no one will read about, and basically fail to deliver what the audience really wants, as well as writing in areas in which there is no advertising revenue then no, you will earn no money whether you are on HP or your own site....

To make money you have to understand what the audience wants to see and how you can get the search engines to direct them to what they want - if you cannot then.........

13. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Just to summarise the above:

Learn to write high quality articles. You can look at successful articles by visiting the front page of each niche site. All of the pages there will be winners. Analyse them to see what elements make them outstanding.

Learn to use keyword research. If you know a lot about a subject, work out the specific queries readers make about that subject in search engines.

Learn how to research stuff.

Know when you cannot win. You might write the best article online about 'Squid Fritters' but if a hundred high authority sites have already covered that subject you will never get to the top of the search rankings and get big visitor numbers.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good summary.  You can go a long way with those four pointers, in my experience.

The only one I would maybe add for beginners is to read the HP announcements.  Advice from other hubbers is not always good, I went down many blind alleys when I started out and consequently wasted time and effort.  HP do their best to help you and keep you abreast of developments, in my experience, but many don't follow it.

Thanks, Paul. Took me awhile to get the basics down, too. My problem was that I thought I already knew how to write when I started, lol. Not true then. Not all that true now.

I should have added that to the list.

'You won't have a clue at the beginning, and you will never be perfect.'

14. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 6 years ago

Yes, money is to be made here, and I find it lower hanging fruit here, than supporting your own website. But I am on Pethelpful, and I think some niche sites are performing better than others.  Fred hit my pages hard, yet still I am earning many times payout and the pageviews are slowly returning.

This is a good place to write. And good money is to be made. Find a style that works for you, and offer Amazon products that will work for your reader to solve a problem.  Pageviews are half of the equation. Solving people's problems with a genuine solution is the other half.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1

15. john000 profile image92
      john000posted 6 years ago

I think that anyone writing about Squid Fritters might make a lot of money. It's all about being different these days, and squid fritters takes the cake. I'm toying with the idea of apple fritters sprinkled with squid, kinda like coconut. Recipe to follow.

The trick is to start with a squid that is not big enough to fry you, lol.

1. john000 profile image92
          john000posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I fret about those Squid Fritters. Those squid tentacles stick between your teeth.

16. neenasatine profile image57
      neenasatineposted 6 years ago

I earn little since I only have few articles and few followers. But I use hub pages as a platform for my article samples. Whenever a potential client is asking for my samples, I give them a link to my HubPages profile.

17. hazeltos profile image69
      hazeltosposted 5 years ago

I have been making residual income from hubpages.  Not as much as I used to but still it is there.  I recently have become more active here.  his is one of the best sites out there to make money for those who write online.  The amount you make is up to you.

18. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

In terms of "it takes time" I ran my earning totals for each year and the highest was 2012.  Time gives and time takes.  The earnings are tied closely to whatever Google is doing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)