jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do people want their grammar errors pointed out? IF so, what method would you u

1. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Do people want their grammar errors pointed out?  IF so, what method would you use?

I have been reading hubs all day and the number of simple grammar errors is mind boggling.  My grammar is not the best, but I learn a great deal with people point out errors to me.  Would better grammar help people's hubs have better scores?  Or even better search engine results?

2. Brett.Tesol profile image50
    Brett.Tesolposted 6 years ago

Better grammar would definitely help hub scores and search engine ranks! However, you don't want criticism all over your hub. I would recommend leaving a positive comment as normal and then send them a separate comment to highlight grammar errors, telling them that they can just 'deny' and delete the comment after ... that way, they will find the errors and make changes, but don't have 'negative' comments on their hubs.

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

If I correct writing  I do it privately via email. I know there are people who have specifically stated  that they want corrections as it is their job to catch mistakes. However, for people who haven't stated this preference, I will let them know mistakes via email.

4. Ash Hicks profile image60
    Ash Hicksposted 6 years ago

Yep! Grammar errors need to be pointed out, but only major ones should be of concern. Forgetting a comma here or there is no travesty. Neither are incomplete sentences (although I personally hate them!)! Other hubbers need to keep voice in mind when reading, and occasionally, sentence structure and grammar are the first to go. Major grammar errors, however, need to be pointed out. If I misspelled the same word repeatedly or inserted way to many commas or used a colon improperly, I would want to know. Constructive criticism is important. It is a wonderful way to improve the writer's skills, the hubscore, and the hub's effectiveness.

5. rick combe profile image85
    rick combeposted 6 years ago

I know I would. Corrections should be private, though, as FloraBreenRobinson said. Pointing out grammar errors in the comments would seem kind of snobby. I feel that anyone would want to know if their hub had any major errors in it.

working