jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think we come down too hard on new hubbers for not knowing all the rules?

1. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

Do you think we come down too hard on new hubbers for not knowing all the rules?

2. Hashirraja profile image58
    Hashirrajaposted 6 years ago

Off course!! I think so. Its really too hard for new comers.

3. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I think some people do, and I think it's more often because they think (may even have reason to believe sometimes) the new Hubber isn't particularly here for anything other than "getting rich quick".   Also, I suppose some new people have obviously not bothered to read the "help" section, and instead are out to find the answers to their questions an "easier way" than "bothering to read all that".  Something else is that "straight-and-to-point" answers can sometimes seem blunt and less than friendly.  Some people just don't deal in "frilly communication". 

Personally, I don't think I "come down hard" on anyone because it's not how I operate in general.  (I'm more the type to ignore the question that makes the new person look "questionable" in one way or another.  Or, I'll just answer the question if a simple answer will do.)

4. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

I don't think so. Hubpages community is one of the most helpful, cordial, considerate I have seen ever. Some of the (repeated) newbie questions are answered with utmost patience and sincerity by the senior Hubbers.

I've seen trigger happy know-all forum members who will flame the newcomers like anything in other forums. Having experienced few of it this is actually a revelation, where you can feel at home.

Having said this, can't avoid saying that some of the questions of new hubbers does raise your BP a pint or two - most of it borders to pure laziness - if they had gone through the learning center, forums, howto hubs it will be much easier.

5. Howard S. profile image88
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

Yes and no. Some of the most flagrant violations were in their face when they signed up and wrote their first hub. The first time they complain on a forum, we should give a gentle nudge--explicit url--toward the FAQ (or Learning Center, as appropriate) and perhaps a one-line answer to the problem. For those that balk, we should "come down" harder in order to maintain the integrity of the HP site.

I think HP has made it very difficult to find the "rules". It is my sense that the "rules" are more succinctly outlined in the FAQ than in the Learning Center. A big problem with the FAQ is that it is never called by that name in the search or navigation buttons. To get to the FAQ, you have to click or search for "help". You have to know  that it's called something else in order to find it! The new user intuitively expects FAQ and Help to meet different needs.

6. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Hi, I think this is a very good question and sometimes this does happen.

I've seen, unfortunately, quite a bit of irritation towards new hubbers - and I'm talking about the newbies who want to write, not get rich quick -  I think this attitude is totally unnecessary. But it's the same old story I guess, a very small minority, who are experienced, forget - conveniently or otherwise - what is was like to be new and trying to find your way around. Much more tolerance and support is called for from those few.

7. profile image0
    Multimanposted 6 years ago

In my opinion the answer is yes, as it takes time to understand the FAQ even after reading it a couple of times.  On the other hand, from some of the writing I have read by some of the new people when doing hub hopping, they probably can't read to begin with.

working