jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does anybody monitor these hubs? The quality just gets worse.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 6 years ago

Does anybody monitor these hubs? The quality just gets worse.

Since when does a short note to let hubbers know that they are going to be writing hubs again, considered to be a hub at all, let alone one with quality content.

2. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

You see the button that says "Help us out, Hop some hubs" ?

If we don't do that now and then, junk hubs don't get deleted.

3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Hi Linda, good question.  You can flag a hub if it is not up to standard.  Indeed, one of the specific reasons for flagging can be 'Low quality' (I think - it might be called something else now).  Anyhow basically you can flag a hub for being way too short or having low quality content (both of which sound like problems in the hub you mentioned).  Flagging a hub just means that a moderator will be directed to look at it and make a decision.  Therefore flagging a hub does not automatically mean it becomes unpublished. I have heard that the system works fairly well but that the moderators do rely on people flagging to bring sub-par hubs to their attention.  They don't have the time and resources to inspect each and every hub themselves upon publication. Moderation is done on an as-requested basis.

A more appropriate way for the author to let fellow hubbers know about absences or returns from an absence would be via a 'status update' in the feed.  It only goes out to followers but then again, probably only followers would be interested anyway, not everyone.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

You know you have the ability to flag poor quality hubs for review.

5. whoisbid profile image77
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

If I owned Hubpages and I saw lots of low quality material but I knew that it was original and not copied then I would not want to delete it. The reason for not deleting it is I know that low quality stuff can go to the first page of google. I have a website with over 260 pages of original stuff and my worst page is on the first page of google in a high position.
    Google makes up the rules about what quality is and according to their ranking system the Tumblr Blog (an example) is authoritative with a Page Rank 8 and getting more powerful while Hubpages is a mere Page rank 6. Tumblr does not have high quality writing because it was not designed for that. It has also has tons of duplicated content by reblogging. Hubpages probably has a really hard time sifting quality and at the same time doing things that don't compromise their site popularity with Google. Since the Panda update, Google has been scoring people very erratically and people who run large websites know that it is simply a game and that Google recommendations are made to divert people from the fact that they can't keep everyone happy forever.
    The conclusion I made is that if you really do have a super quality site it means nothing to Google. It might mean something to real people who need it but remember that Google is a machine and not a person. Why is Youtube still so popular with a Page Rank 9 when it is loaded lots of trash? Go figure!

working