Does anybody know a good way to consistently get backlinks?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Mark Lees profile image77
    Mark Leesposted 10 years ago

I have managed to get a few decent backlinks to my articles by pure luck and they certainly help me get views so I was just wanted to know if anybody knows any ways of consistently getting good backlinks when you write on a variety of subjects?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Write things that amazes or wows the reader, so they feel compelled to share it.

I know that sounds like a smart-alecky response, but I do think that is what it takes.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Backlinking is  much bigger job on HubPages thanon your own blog, that's one of the downsides of writing here. 

When you create backlinks to your blog or website (which is all about ONE subject, naturally), the reader arrives at your blog then (if you've done a good job) will stay and browse around the rest of the content.  So every backlink you get, can result in many pages being visited.  If the reader likes your blog, they may bookmark it or sign up for your feed.

When you create backlinks to a Hub, the reader may not be interested in your other Hubs.  Even if he is, he's more likely to be tempted away by the array of other Hubbers' articles displayed on the page (because only two of your Hubs appear on each Hub, along with a much longer list of others).  HubPages readers typically don't notice who wrote a Hub, and even if they did, there's no mechanism to sign up for your feed.   So each backlink will bring visitors to one Hub, not to your whole account.  That means you need an awful lot more backlinks to drive traffic.

On the plus side, the interlinking also works in your favour because you get traffic by appearing on other people's Hubs.

3. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with MT. Many of my hubs have numerous backlinks which I know nothing about. I just let readers decide whether or not they should link back to me. That way it's natural and gives me good traffic boost.

4. raymondphilippe profile image89
      raymondphilippeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the pinterest and twitter links you get when people share your writings help. And when other hubbers link to your related article in their link module that might help too.

2. Mark Lees profile image77

I think you are right, but a large part of my problem is that I find most of the stuff that goes viral to be puerile or provacative for no reason and it isn't what I want to write. O

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Then you need to find another thing that makes people link to you, like having info noone else does, or being funny.

4. Mark Lees profile image77

psycheskinner - sage advice. I think I have nailed informative but, alas, in areas which are special interest. I get surges at University assignment time but then it slows right down again.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

Why are you interested in getting backlinks?  Is it because you want your hub to go viral, or because you want Google to rank you higher?  You may be interested in reading the Learning Center (or blog) that talked about the characteristics of a hub that goes viral. 

http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/12/viral- … u-to-know/

As for Google, I skimmed your hub about English world cup.  I noticed that even though this hub is about a football team, the title, headers and intro, don't really say that.  I used to do that too - I had book reviews  that didn't mention the word book or review anywhere in it.  Yours does say football eventually, in several different occasions, but it would be good to make that clear from the beginning.  That would not only help people like me, but also Google, since people will probably type "football" something in search engines.  Think about what words people would use to find your article and make sure it is in there.  Right now, I am focusing on making sure Google can find my hubs, so they will at least be given some consideration.  I know eventually I need to figure out how to get ranked higher.

1. glassvisage profile image85
      glassvisageposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's really helpful! Thanks for that link - I actually hadn't heard of that Hub or that story before

2. Sam Hawkins profile image59
      Sam Hawkinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That kelly's hub is mind blowing. Thanks for the share. Will try to incorporate the tips in ensuring that one's hub is successful

6. Mark Lees profile image77

Millionaire Tips - it is more about google ranking for me.

Thanks for your thoughts on the world cup hub. The title actually works for most english football fans who would not include football in a search term - they would search for Brazil 2014 and know what they meant, but I think you are right that to get a broader audience I will need a more specific keyword rich title. Something to think about.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on being the top 10 of the day Mark!

1. Mark Lees profile image77
        Mark Leesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cheers MT.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)